Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made full payments in November. Thinking of requesting refund and make other financial arrangements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short. Order date was in Sep 2021. Initial expected delivery date was in November. Made full payment and was getting ready to take delivery of the car.
Due to various reasons delivery didn't happen. Put it on hold. Based on recent updates I am seeing, expected delivery dates could be March to April 2022 time frame.

Given some of the finance situations and options available now, thinking of going with financing the car than paying it in full. Talked to Tesla support. As per them I can request a refund but it could take up to 30 to 45 days for refund to arrive. I can arrange for loan/finances by the time delivery date is scheduled and it should not impact Delivery dates.

Trying to find out if anyone has done this before? or any suggestions. Thanks

There isnt any reason to let tesla hold your money that long for an undelivered car. Whether you intend to finance or pay cash, the vehicle was not delivered, so you should go through getting your money back, so its in your possession.

That seems perfectly reasonable, and shouldnt lead to any issues with Tesla, either, unless there is quite a bit of "something else" buried in the story of why delivery didnt happen.

Get your money refunded, then decide how you are going to pay when its time for your car to be delivered again. Arranging financing is fairly simple, especially if you have the type of credit score that tends to go with people who can afford to pay for a brand new tesla model Y in cash.

Long story short. Order date was in Sep 2021. Initial expected delivery date was in November. Made full payment and was getting ready to take delivery of the car.
Due to various reasons delivery didn't happen. Put it on hold. Based on recent updates I am seeing, expected delivery dates could be March to April 2022 time frame.

Given some of the finance situations and options available now, thinking of going with financing the car than paying it in full. Talked to Tesla support. As per them I can request a refund but it could take up to 30 to 45 days for refund to arrive. I can arrange for loan/finances by the time delivery date is scheduled and it should not impact Delivery dates.

Wait, if you make full payment and for some reason car is not delivered it could take 30-45 days for refund to arrive? And that too only if you ask for your money back? And the 30-45 day clock starts when you ask for your money back?

Forget about the car delivery delays etc. What I am trying to find out is the possibility of getting the amount paid and arranging for finances by the time new delivery date scheduled.
Car delivery not happening is not entirely on Tesla . My opinion is that they have been supportive so far. No issues for me :) See the thread about delivery date missing, going on Hold etc.....

Forget about the car delivery delays etc. What I am trying to find out is the possibility of getting the amount paid and arranging for finances by the time new delivery date scheduled.
Car delivery not happening is not entirely on Tesla . My opinion is that they have been supportive so far. No issues for me :) See the thread about delivery date missing, going on Hold etc.....
I understand. I was just commenting on the fact that Tesla just held on to the payment on a delivery that was never made and when asked gave a 30-45 day estimate for refund. Definitely concerning for folks who want to pay in full.

I understand. I was just commenting on the fact that Tesla just held on to the payment on a delivery that was never made and when asked gave a 30-45 day estimate for refund. Definitely concerning for folks who want to pay in full.
100% agree with this. I’m in this same situation and through no fault of mine the delivery was cancelled. Same story. 30-45 days to return the check. Do not use plaid or pay in advance. Hand over the check at the time of delivery if you can.

• Helpful
Reactions: leaftoy

I don’t know why on earth anyone pays Tesla BEFORE they take delivery of their vehicle. But I keep seeing it happen. And I keep shaking my head.

My only concern is that asking for a refund may trigger some automated action which could result in delaying the delivery....thought Tesla rep did say that there will not be any impact. Anyone has experience in getting the refund?

My only concern is that asking for a refund may trigger some automated action which could result in delaying the delivery....thought Tesla rep did say that there will not be any impact. Anyone has experience in getting the refund?
Yeah no idea. My SA said they could have a car for me end of this week (possible but I’m not holding my breath), so I didn’t pull the trigger. Yet.

Tesla refunded the amount in less than 3 weeks. Process is easy. Call Tesla support. They will open a case and will let you know that expected time frame for refund is 6 to 8 weeks. You may want to follow up after a week or so to see how things are progressing. In my case no impact on delivery dates. Hope someone finds this useful.