Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in America Tesla MY are pretty weak in comparison to international MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading about all the new features that international Teslas have…the domestic ones don’t have much appeal. It’s like we’re still buying the 2021 model when outside the US everyone is getting the 2022.

-International Tesla have the new headlight housing
-MIC Tesla has dual pane glass on both front and rear windows.
-Upgraded chip from AMD. My Hulu in my current tesla hasn’t worked for months and the UI is always been laggy.
-New v16 battery replacing the v12
-privacy cover for cargo area

And all the recent prices increases with no feature increase…..very niceeee.

Maybe Austin will fix all that but who knows…

This is just a post to complain…no value added. Still going to buy one 😅

After reading about all the new features that international Teslas have…the domestic ones don’t have much appeal. It’s like we’re still buying the 2021 model when outside the US everyone is getting the 2022.

-International Tesla have the new headlight housing
-MIC Tesla has dual pane glass on both front and rear windows.
-Upgraded chip from AMD. My Hulu in my current tesla hasn’t worked for months and the UI is always been laggy.
-New v16 battery replacing the v12
-privacy cover for cargo area

And all the recent prices increases with no feature increase…..very niceeee.

Maybe Austin will fix all that but who knows…

This is just a post to complain…no value added. Still going to buy one 😅
It makes sense because the labor in China is less expensive.

I lIke the fact that my purchase from the USA Fremont plant helps feed workers in my local community. I’m glad my car is not made in China!
If you purchase your car from Fremont and two other people purchase their Tesla’s in China, what does that say about the corporate bottom-line?

As far as your purchase feeding factory workers in your community…well, most of those workers don’t live in your community. And Tesla pays about $18/hr for a production line worker. It’s the equivalent of saying you buy your coffee at the local Starbucks to feed local baristas.

Your comment makes little sense when dealing with a global company. Which Tesla is. Their HQ may be based in the US, but that means very little.

If you purchase your car from Fremont and two other people purchase their Tesla’s in China, what does that say about the corporate bottom-line?

Your comment makes little sense when dealing with a global company. Which Tesla is. Their HQ may be based in the US, but that means very little.
Tesla is most American made car that’s the bottom line.

As far as your purchase feeding factory workers in your community…well, most of those workers don’t live in your community. And Tesla pays about $18/hr for a production line worker. It’s the equivalent of saying you buy your coffee at the local Starbucks to feed local baristas.

I was talking about the actual workers in the Fremont plant. Those jobs are very important. I live nearby and know many that work there. What doesn’t make sense with that?

Last edited:
I was talking about the actual workers in the Fremont plant. Those jobs are very important. I live nearby and know many that work there. What doesn’t make sense with that?
I was too. Re-read my post and let me know if you still don’t understand.

Tesla is no more important than a Starbucks in terms of local jobs.

In fact, one could make the argument they are worse. Starbucks does not tolerate racism and harassment. And I believe the workers also have a union.

It's irrelevant to someone in CA that the company is global. If they want to support CA based vehicle assembly, Tesla's the only choice. It's like locals buying a Toyota made in AL, KY, IN, MI, or a Honda made in OH,AL,IN. Not seeing how that makes little sense.

While obviously not everyone at the Fremont plant lives in Fremont, they essentially all live in CA and most would live in the Bay Area (there's a limit to how far you can commute).

The Starbucks example is way different given you can support a small local coffee shop as an alternative.

The flip side is true also. Lots of people in China would rather buy a Tesla made in China than in the US (especially in current climate).

Last edited:
It's irrelevant to someone in CA that the company is global. If they want to support CA based vehicle assembly, Tesla's the only choice. It's like locals buying a Toyota made in AL, KY, IN, MI, or a Honda made in OH,AL,IN. Not seeing how that makes little sense.

While obviously not everyone at the Fremont plant lives in Fremont, they essentially all live in CA and most would live in the Bay Area (there's a limit to how far you can commute).

The Starbucks example is way different given you can support a small local coffee shop as an alternative.

The flip side is true also. Lots of people in China would rather buy a Tesla made in China than in the US (especially in current climate).
So by that token, buying a Ford made in Mexico is not supporting an American brand? You can’t have it both ways.

These are global companies. And any place that pays its floor workers $18 an hour is the same as a Starbucks to me. It’s not doing anything to serve the local community other than providing fancy cars for wealthy people made by under-paid workers. If Tesla closed up shop today, those workers would find equivalent paying gigs at…well…anywhere.

Reactions: Canyonero
So by that token, buying a Ford made in Mexico is not supporting an American brand? You can’t have it both ways.
No one is saying to have it both ways. They already said they won't support even buying a Tesla made in China, so they won't be supporting buying a Ford made in Mexico either (or a GM made in China). The standard is consistent. It's about supporting local manufacturing. If more people are willing to pay extra to have things made locally, then there is a higher chance that manufacturing can remain viable in the US.

These are global companies. And any place that pays its floor workers $18 an hour is the same as a Starbucks to me. It’s not doing anything to serve the local community other than providing fancy cars for wealthy people made by under-paid workers. If Tesla closed up shop today, those workers would find equivalent paying gigs at…well…anywhere.
Even fairly high minimum wage cities like San Francisco is paying only $16.32. Fremont is only paying $15.25. So no, they won't be getting equivalent paying gigs anywhere if Tesla closed up shop. This is also ignoring the difference between a manufacturing job versus a service industry job (not everyone wants to work a service industry job even if the pay was the same).

Also the local parts making industry has been cut heavily in the Bay Area, a lot of places have outsourced work either out of state or out of country. Tesla is also using a lot of local parts makers. I have some cousins and uncles that work in the industry and some have been laid off due to above changes in the industry, but the ones remaining are making parts for Tesla. Having Tesla close up the Fremont factory would be a huge loss for manufacturing jobs in the Bay Area. It's easy to sit in a chair and discuss this when it doesn't affect you, but it's a different thing for people that are actually affected.

Last edited:
Labor and environmental laws have nothing to do with why you aren’t getting a rear cargo cover in the US

Ummm, if it cost several thousand dollars more per car in labor and environmental costs to build it in the US, de-contenting compared to the cars built by slaves is reasonable to expect.

Keith

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.