Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in Austin Model Y LR: First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collected in Colorado Springs yesterday, drove home 400 miles.
My initial impression is positive, but do keep in mind that I don't usually notice small car details.

No panel gaps, nice white paint.
The car developed a rattle somewhere near the passenger side front door I have yet to track down. I'll hunt some more and worse case notify Tesla.

..snip..

I'l have a closer look tomorrow, and bring along my magnet ;)
Like previous post said, Might be the seatbelt hitting the plastic areas of door. I tend to position the seatbelt so it is resting in the cushioned area of the seat if no one is using it. Some people apply felt tape in the areas where seatbelt naturally resides so it has something soft to bump in to.

Then why is the car nagging me to put my hands on the wheel, even though I am holding the wheel with two hands.
My car is a 2022 Model with only the basic autopilot supplied with every car.

I would love to know how to drive with DCC ONLY, without any nannying how I hold the steering wheel or how off-center I am in the lane.
Yes, basic autopilot does this. I'm sure you know this already, but one click down TACC, two clicks down Autopilot. If the blue steering wheel is displayed in the top left of your screen the car will nag you to keep torque applied because the autopilot is engaged. It could also be the lane departure avoidance setting. This sounds like it may be your issue.

When Lane Departure Avoidance is enabled and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is active, if Model Y drifts out of the driving lane when the associated turn signal is off, Lane Assist also checks to see whether your hands are on the steering wheel. If hands are not detected, the touchscreen displays a series of alerts, similar to those that are used when driving with Autosteer. If hands are repeatedly not detected Model Ygradually slows down to 25 km/h below the detected speed limit, or below the set cruising speed, and the hazard lights start flashing.

My LDA is just set to the "warning" setting, I can do whatever I want on TACC cruise control with my hands on the steering wheel. No nagging. Only slight vibration if I cross a line with no signal. Unless I inadvertently cross a double line >39 mph, then it screams at me. Only on autopilot will I get the nags with my hands in the same position as I use in TACC.

Last edited:
Then why is the car nagging me to put my hands on the wheel, even though I am holding the wheel with two hands.

I would love to know how to drive with DCC ONLY, without any nannying how I hold the steering wheel or how off-center I am in the lane.
You're in autopilot - that is autosteer. You don't need EAP or FSD for that. If you tap the shifter once, it's TACC only. Twice, and it's AP, with the blue steering wheel icon.

Reactions: mtndrew1

I think you’re misunderstanding how to use the feature.

If you hear “bing bong” and the little steering wheel icon near PRND turns blue, you’re in autopilot. This will lock you in the center of a lane and require wheel torque to keep the system happy. Just hang your hand off one of the spokes.

Adaptive cruise control does not give these sorts of warnings and the driver handles the steering.

I think you’re misunderstanding how to use the feature.

If you hear “bing bong” and the little steering wheel icon near PRND turns blue, you’re in autopilot. This will lock you in the center of a lane and require wheel torque to keep the system happy. Just hang your hand off one of the spokes.

Adaptive cruise control does not give these sorts of warnings and the driver handles the steering.

Thanks -- I'll have a look next time I drive.
My car only has basic autopilot -- the feature that comes with every Model Y LR AWD 2022. How do I engage ACC without autopilot ? I've been pulling all the way down on the PRND stalk

My car only has basic autopilot -- the feature that comes with every Model Y LR AWD 2022. How do I engage ACC without autopilot ? I've been pulling all the way down on the PRND stalk
One flick down is TACC, two flicks is Autosteer (if you have enabled it, which you must do before the drive). Flick up turns both off.

You also might look under your passenger seat for a loose cable as cause of the rattle. It nagged me. Had Service Center fix it and it came back so...this is why God invented duct tape.

A single tap down on the stalk is TACC.

Two taps down is autopilot which, based on your description, is what you were using. TACC does not give nags and does not center the vehicle on the lane, it just follows the car ahead.

Reactions: SageBrush