Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in China Model 3: Build Quality / Hardware Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Reuters and seems to suggest the LG batteries are not LFP and in fact are NMC as @Glan gluaisne states:
Tesla battery supplier LG Chem shares jump 10% on upbeat outlook

From the article:

LG Chem said its batteries have an edge over the cheaper, LFP batteries from Chinese rival and Tesla supplier CATL, saying the latter’s lower energy density makes it difficult to be used for longer-range, large cars.

“The LFP batteries can be used in relatively short-range cars which are sensitive to prices... We believe that our nickel-cobalt-manganese (NCM) batteries can be mainstream globally,” said Chang Seung-se, senior vice president at LG Chem, referring to its nickel-based batteries.

Thanks, that’s a useful article which very strongly suggests LFP batteries will only be used in the SR+. Which is what most were suggesting.

I do think that if I had ordered a SR+ I would actually prefer the ability to regularly charge a car with shorter range to 100% all of the time. And I would be crossing my fingers that Tesla offers a software update to improve the LFP Supercharging speeds beyond the reported 70kw for these cars.

But it would have been easier if Tesla could just tell me what battery is going to be in the LR AWD car I ordered. And why have they told some of us that the LR China made cars have an LFP battery, when it looks like the don’t.

Anyway. I’m excited to collect my car in a few weeks!

Thanks, that’s a useful article which very strongly suggests LFP batteries will only be used in the SR+. Which is what most were suggesting.

I do think that if I had ordered a SR+ I would actually prefer the ability to regularly charge a car with shorter range to 100% all of the time. And I would be crossing my fingers that Tesla offers a software update to improve the LFP Supercharging speeds beyond the reported 70kw for these cars.

But it would have been easier if Tesla could just tell me what battery is going to be in the LR AWD car I ordered. And why have they told some of us that the LR China made cars have an LFP battery, when it looks like the don’t.

Anyway. I’m excited to collect my car in a few weeks!
The staff don't know what batteries are in them, they are guessing like the rest of us.

Reactions: Adopado

Thanks for that. Useful video. The build quality looks good. Getting delivery of SR+ on 5th March in Dublin

I noticed in comments that in response to question on heated steering wheel he says.

" Heated steering wheel does not come as standard for Standard Range plus model 3, but you can pay for this function in the coming future by software update. Heated steering wheel is standard for long range model 3."

I hadn't seen this elsewhere

As my delivery has been delayed a week (LR M3 in red)I thought I’d call just to confirm and clarify a few things. On the phone they told me the LR version has a 73kw LG battery and that they didn’t think it comes with a heated steering wheel. Hmmm we shall have to wait and see.

• Love
Reactions: Llama.
I’ve watched a German YouTube video on the charging issue with the Chinese battery pack. There were problems with it (in a previous videos they only managed some low figures) but a software update has fixed that it seems. He got about 130kW when he charged the car (driven down to 15% with partial conditioning - they didn’t use Superchargers).