Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in China Model 3: Build Quality / Hardware Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to have to look into this, tomorrow, once the heavens have moved on. It was in the back of my mind, but didn’t think to properly check. Might need to report it.
Just went out and checked my car again in the dark and confirmed there's no front fog light button, just rear fog. Guess it's time for my first service request on the app!

Reactions: drewpost
When Model 3 SR+ was first introduced in the UK, some were delivered with front fog lights but inactive - in the eyes of Tesla it wasn't part of the spec, although, like premium connectivity, it was. This would likely be an issue in the fullness of time as in an MOT, if a fog light was fitted, it must be working. iirc, Tesla were then able to enable the fog light hardware. iirc, some early SR+ owners whose cars were delayed so they didn't come with foglight hardware were even able to retrospectively get the hardware fitted - a few specs of the cars changed a few weeks after many ordered so cars were being delivered that did not meet the order specification.

tl;dr - hopefully Tesla can remotely enable

So popped into the car and had a good look around. The front fog lights are definitely there in the bumper (it’s a LR, so they should be!), however under light controls the button says “Rear fog”. The button for the front fogs is missing. Time to submit a service request, I think!

So popped into the car and had a good look around. The front fog lights are definitely there in the bumper (it’s a LR, so they should be!), however under light controls the button says “Rear fog”. The button for the front fogs is missing. Time to submit a service request, I think!
So I’ve booked a mobile service appointment through the app. Is this the correct way to raise this issue with Tesla? It’s most likely a software issue, so I’m hoping they’ll just look at it remotely and enable the fog lights?

So I’ve booked a mobile service appointment through the app. Is this the correct way to raise this issue with Tesla? It’s most likely a software issue, so I’m hoping they’ll just look at it remotely and enable the fog lights?
Yes, you've done exactly correct.

They'll update it when they read, I imagine a software update will be pushed out.

When Model 3 SR+ was first introduced in the UK, some were delivered with front fog lights but inactive - in the eyes of Tesla it wasn't part of the spec, although, like premium connectivity, it was. This would likely be an issue in the fullness of time as in an MOT, if a fog light was fitted, it must be working. iirc, Tesla were then able to enable the fog light hardware. iirc, some early SR+ owners whose cars were delayed so they didn't come with foglight hardware were even able to retrospectively get the hardware fitted - a few specs of the cars changed a few weeks after many ordered so cars were being delivered that did not meet the order specification.

tl;dr - hopefully Tesla can remotely enable
I was one of these cars. A mobile tech came out with his laptop, plugged in and then enabled it that way. It was apparently a value stored against the config of the car that Tesla have but it needed to be physically enabled. This was circa September 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Given the front fog lights are physically there and hopefully electrically connected, there has clearly been a bit of a config hiccup. I wonder if it got missed because of rather dynamic plans about which country builds what for where.

As more and more report this, I'm sure the penny with drop and it'll suddenly get fixed.

Just out of pure interest.
Does the "rear fog" only button also operate the front fog light or is it exclusively the rear fog?
Rear fog button only activates the rear fog light.

That entire lower light cluster doesn’t seem to do anything on my car. I understand the fog lights are only the outer parts of this light cluster, but I can’t seem to get the inner part to come on, either. Tried all configurations of lights on/off whilst wife stood watching in the rain. 😅

Rear fog button only activates the rear fog light.

That entire lower light cluster doesn’t seem to do anything on my car. I understand the fog lights are only the outer parts of this light cluster, but I can’t seem to get the inner part to come on, either. Tried all configurations of lights on/off whilst wife stood watching in the rain. 😅
The lights you see on all the promo images with the little orange bit are US models. The ones in Europe don't do anything unless it's literally front fogs on. No daytime running capability.

Looking at your avatar pic I can't make out your fogs ... if they aren't clear glass/plastic lenses then they may be dark blanks like on the SR+. If they are clear lenses then you can be confident they are really installed.

Looking at your avatar pic I can't make out your fogs ... if they aren't clear glass/plastic lenses then they may be dark blanks like on the SR+. If they are clear lenses then you can be confident they are really installed.
I had a closer look earlier as I read the SR+ comes with blanking plates or even fixtures that look like lights however have no LEDs in them. They look like fog lights to me, though I don’t have another car to compare against! It’s an LR, so according to Tesla does come with fog lights as part of the premium “interior.”

I had a closer look earlier as I read the SR+ comes with blanking plates or even fixtures that look like lights however have no LEDs in them. They look like fog lights to me, though I don’t have another car to compare against! It’s an LR, so according to Tesla does come with fog lights as part of the premium “interior.”

As I said ... if they are dark they are blanks, if they are clear they are foglights.