Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in China Model 3: Build Quality / Hardware Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, two questions: does the model 3 SR+ get front fog lights? Also was watching a YouTuber talk about the new model 3 performance models having adaptive lighting that turns on corners- is this correct and if so is it only present on the performance models?

has it been confirmed if LR get ambient/ancient lighting on 2021 models? Thought Tesla scrapped it
Nope. It’s there in my MIC 2021 LR AWD.
Hey everyone, two questions: does the model 3 SR+ get front fog lights? Also was watching a YouTuber talk about the new model 3 performance models having adaptive lighting that turns on corners- is this correct and if so is it only present on the performance models?
No front fogs on SR+. Just blanking plates.
In terms of adaptive lighting, i can’t say that I’ve noticed that in one night however it does seem that more of the light is being directed to the sides of the roads than before with the old lights

MiC 2021 LR does come with ambient lighting.

The new cars come with what appears to be LED matrix headlights. At the moment they don’t seem to do anything fancy, however Tesla may eventually push an update to make them smarter?

MiC 2021 LR does come with ambient lighting.

The new cars come with what appears to be LED matrix headlights. At the moment they don’t seem to do anything fancy, however Tesla may eventually push an update to make them smarter?
That's the speculation, but given the auto high beam isn't rock solid, the use of matrix lights to blank out the beam for oncoming traffic etc like the best systems do is I suspect some way off.

That's the speculation, but given the auto high beam isn't rock solid, the use of matrix lights to blank out the beam for oncoming traffic etc like the best systems do is I suspect some way off.
I watched the Polestar doing its thing on Bjorn’s video. The way it blanked out just the LEDs that covered the oncoming car was beautiful. Oh, for our Teslas to even come close to that!

My front fog lights are now enabled.

I waited 24 hours, however nothing happened. Ended up calling the local SC who stated the config update had been sent through and advised doing a soft reboot. Did this and the front fog button magically appeared.

Apparently, it’s now a known issue as it affects 600 cars!

• Informative
Reactions: drewpost and Durzel
My front fog lights are now enabled.

I waited 24 hours, however nothing happened. Ended up calling the local SC who stated the config update had been sent through and advised doing a soft reboot. Did this and the front fog button magically appeared.

Apparently, it’s now a known issue as it affects 600 cars!
Can confirm mine are working now too, SC said they were pushing the configuration change but it didn't do anything until I did the soft reboot. All good now!

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Maybe. I'm asking for clarifications. He knows my orders is a LR AWD and he said "Yes it’s coming from Shanghai, and will contain the batteries that can be charged to 100%. Trust me, this is a good thing! The reason we’re saying you can charge to 100% is because the cell chemistry is different – on the American cars, we recommend charging to 80% daily because charging those cells to 100% regularly will cause excessive wear. That’s not the case with these new ones"
Does it just mean it takes longer to charge to 100% then?

Does it just mean it takes longer to charge to 100% then?

Not necessarily. There has apparently been an update that addresses a charging speed issue in the early LFP batteries when using rapid charging. This is relating to the Chinese Model 3 SR+ model. There is no evidence that I have seen suggesting that the LR models will have such batteries. The energy density of the LFP pack is such that it requires more space ... and that space is only available in the SR+. That would suggest that it's physically not possible to shoehorn an LFP pack into a LR with the required capacity.

I had a long chat with the owner of a 3 day old MIC M3LR yesterday. The car was absolutely perfect including paint finish, panel gaps etc & he allowed me to take a good look. Apart from deeper recessed rear door handles on mine, everything else looked pretty much identical, including slightly wider gaps at the top of the front door A pillars which then tapered lower down. Even the gaps & recesses around the mirror/panels/windscreen were the same, an area which is quite different (including between both sides of the car) on my next door neighbours' Q3 2020 M3P.

I've seen suggestions that Fremont had two Model 3 lines, one more automated than the other & always felt that mine may have come from this. Given that the Chinese line is the latest and similarly automated I think this may be confirmation.

The new owner had no reason to book either an SC or Ranger visit which shows real progress.

Another difference- apologies if I missed it elsewhere in thread- is that the white interior door cards now have black alcantara on them (same as the black interior) rather than white pleather...which is a bit of a shame. 67172C69-2508-414B-A192-3C2240B103A3.jpeg5B0894A0-0750-4250-BAC8-3F1E15F20136.jpeg

Reactions: Burley