Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in China Model 3: Build Quality / Hardware Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I know that was the context of the question.

Just wanted to check because technically the Performance used to just be an LR with bigger wheels, lower springs, bigger brakes, the motors turned up a bit and a boot lip.

So just interesting to see that it’s now got a completely different battery too.
Sorry, I took the tone of your question wrong

Yes, you are correct, the MIC P is now shipping withthe BT42 (larger) battery which is the one also in the Fremont LR

For completeness

Fremont P and LR now have the bigger battery = BT42
MIC P as the same bigger battery = BT42
MIC LR have a smaller battery = BT38 made by LG
Older Fremont LR and P used to have a similar sized smaller battery but was a different code, BT37 made by Panasonic.

Reactions: TesTed
Just to add some info. I had the car ceramic coated and the end result was superb with the detailer saying the original factory finish was very good before he prepped the car (M3 SR+ MIC) I can find no problems anywhere with the bodywork or finish and can say I'm impressed as its equally as good a finish as my previous two new cars (Jaguar XF, Discovery sport) and although totally different to drive its fare more pleasurable to drive than either of them. Its a while since I had a car that I look forward to driving, its like being a kid again :)

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 111
Sorry, I took the tone of your question wrong

Yes, you are correct, the MIC P is now shipping withthe BT42 (larger) battery which is the one also in the Fremont LR

For completeness

Fremont P and LR now have the bigger battery = BT42
MIC P as the same bigger battery = BT42
MIC LR have a smaller battery = BT38 made by LG
Older Fremont LR and P used to have a similar sized smaller battery but was a different code, BT37 made by Panasonic.
BT38 or M48?

Mine M3LR E5CD b1 comes with LG M48

BT38 or M48?

Mine M3LR E5CD b1 comes with LG M48
BT38 and BT42 are the codes Tesla use in the Manufacturing configuration code list. The codes you list are off some sheet that doesn't appear anywhere on the cars config that you can access. Pick any car listed by Tesla, look at the html and search for "ManufacturingOptionCodeList" and after it you'll see a string like this:

AD15,AF00,APFB,APH4,AU3D,BC3B,BTF0,RNG0,CDM0,CH15,COBE,DRLH,DV2W,FC02,FG3B,FM3S,GLCN,HL32,HM30,ID3A,IL31,LT03,MDL3,MR31,PPSW,PC30,REEU,RF3G,RS3H,S3PW,SA3P,SC04,STCP,SU3C,T3MC,TM00,TW00,UT3P,W40B,WR00,ZINV,MI02,PL30,SLR0,ST33,BG30,OSSB,AUF2,RSF0,ILF0,FGF0,CPF0,P3WS,HP31,PT01,RL31,LVB1,RD02,SWF0,PP02,VC00,LS01

Each of those code mean something, BTF0 on this one if the LFP SR+ battery, DV2W means its RWD (Drive 2 wheel), MDL3 means its a model 3. Some sites have worked out what they all mean. It's the only way you can tell which battery a specific car has and is a lot more useful than all the E5CD stuff which you can't check.

Reactions: Alan J
Just to add some info. I had the car ceramic coated and the end result was superb with the detailer saying the original factory finish was very good before he prepped the car (M3 SR+ MIC) I can find no problems anywhere with the bodywork or finish and can say I'm impressed as its equally as good a finish as my previous two new cars (Jaguar XF, Discovery sport) and although totally different to drive its fare more pleasurable to drive than either of them. Its a while since I had a car that I look forward to driving, its like being a kid again :)
how much did It cost to ceramic coat the M3?

The rear lights mist is very common on wet days or wash days.
Early cars filled with water and only then will they replace them under warranty.

Yeah sounds like it's pretty common on Tesla.. which is unfortunate.

Might just try an book in a mobile service through the app. If they don't fix it.. at least will give em piece of my mind , don't care what their acceptable tolerance or spec is, its unacceptably by industry standard for a new car... 😅

Yeah sounds like it's pretty common on Tesla.. which is unfortunate.

Might just try an book in a mobile service through the app. If they don't fix it.. at least will give em piece of my mind , don't care what their acceptable tolerance or spec is, its unacceptably by industry standard for a new car... 😅
It’s completely normal.. and yours looks pretty good compared to many. No chance they are replacing yours unfortunately.