TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Made Mistake - Tire max pressure below tesla recommended

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Pipcecil, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Pipcecil

Pipcecil Member

So I recently had to purchase two new tires for my Tesla. I purchased it as a CPO a couple of years ago and this is the first time I have had to replace any tires. I did my research, Tesla would not offer any low rolling tires (only the goodyear eagle touring) so I hit up my local Costco and got some Michelin Premier A/S. Great reviews, sporty tire with low rolling, what more could I want.

Well, since this was never an issue for any of my other cars, these tires have a max manufacturer tire pressure of 44 psi, lower than what Tesla recommends at 45 psi. This was something I never thought to look for (none of my other cars I ever owned had anything beyond 38 psi recommend by the car). So now I don't know what to do.

What happens if I keep the cold pressure at 45 psi on these tires? What if I keep the tires at 44 psi below Tesla specs (FYI these are on the rears so I think any pressure differences would be more noticeable here). Is this 1 psi going to give me issues? Should I just use Costco's generous return policy and get some tires that have a higher max PSI and fit what I want (looking at reviews and what Costco offers, it would probably be the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus)? Granted the Michelin Premier A/S are supposed to be outstanding tires, but I am a little worried about the mis-matched PSI.

Thoughts?

2. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

I checked my local Costco and I don't even see the premier available in Tesla size at my store; just the Primacy's.

I wouldn't worry about it, 1 psi is negligible. The tire pressures change from 45 to 53 psi on a daily basis during driving in hot weather. If people do not adjust their pressures every season the 45 psi could easily become 42 psi as the cold weather arrives. I would wager this is over 75% of the population.

The more important consideration is the load index, or service description, and the only 245/45/19's I see for that Primacy on Tirerack is 98V. I assume Costco has the same tire, and If you like the tires (and I can't imagine you wouldn't) I would set them at 44 and forget about it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A/S&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=445VR9PREAS&tab=Sizes

Edit: And I had Turanza EL42 s as the OEM tires on the Infiniti we had before getting the Tesla; they were horrible tires; every bump had them bouncing all over the road. I know they are different than Serenity's but I will never own any tire that says Turanza ever again.

• Like x 1
  3. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

Don’t worry about 1 psi. Elon recommended to lower the psi by 10% if you want a less bumpy ride once. Follow the manufacturer recommendation in this case, it might be safer

• Like x 1
  4. .jg.

.jg. Member

Michelin apparently recommends tyres with higher maximum load figures for the Model S. However, Michelin quotes the Premier A/S as having a maximum load for a single wheel of [email protected] ([email protected]) and I reckon that is comfortably more than the per wheel loading for a fully laden Model S with 48/52 weight distribution. Like the other guys said, I wouldn't worry about 1 PSI.