Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made the right call upgrading from EAP to FSD for 2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I have EAP, I dont think likely-mediocre city street driving is worth $2k. If its anything like NoA where constant babying is required, its a no go fo rme. Once its GOOD, I'll gladly spend 4-5k on FSD. But no one knows when it that might be and I might have a new car by then (Model Y, another good EV). I'll just invest the 2k I saved and get some return off it

They will get so few bites at $5K, there is no doubt they will lower it again at some point. Likely to a low price that will piss off existing FSD owners again, including those who just bought at $2K, as that seems to be their standard business practice at Tesla. Love the car but definitely no longer a fan of the company and how it is managed. (yes, I'm still bitter on the insane accelerated depreciation on my Sept '18 AWD 3. And yes, I will continue to be a self-realized baby and not get over it. :))
Unless it actually does something useful :)
Real FSD would be worth 5k, stop signs and stop lights only not so much.

I think at the end of every quarter they need to bump up their revenue, we'll see similar discounts...so the next discount will be offered again around June? :p

Until they actually deliver FSD it's not net revenue though.

When you take money for something you haven't delivered you have to add a liability to your books to balance it out.

None of those hundreds of thousands of model 3 reservations were net revenue until they actually delivered cars for example.

You paid $2k and you have nothing to show for it but Elon Musk's word.

VAG - Volkswagon Automotive Groups does unbelievable amounts of *sugar* talking. No one seems to take them to task for all the cheating, lying and speculation that they do.

Despite their failures - I think Tesla is the most true to their intentions.

Omg.
The entitled attitude on this forum is staggering.

How is that entitled?

Before the change up EAP was a $5K package, and FSD was a $3K package. Now FSD is $5K, but includes features that were included in EAP.

So someone that has EAP shouldn't have to pay for those features twice.

$3K is a perfectly fair price to sell at.

I could even understand $4K since they didn't buy FSD with the car.

But, $5K is simply too high.

Especially since it's in Tesla best interest to try to get people from EAP over to FSD. That way there will be less people complaining when FSD does a better job at NoA along with enhanced summons than EAP.

Having it at $3K will allow EAP owners to more easily get FSD.

That's only $1K higher than the recent discount price. Having it at $5K will just mean people will be waiting around to bicker.

As to the HW3 for free comment. Yeah, I can see how one would perceive that as entitlement. But, I think it's a fair position to have. A likely losing position, but fair since I expect HW3 will provide a better experience for EAP functions.

Even AP1 never really accomplished the promises for AP1. but no one expected to get AP2 for free. Then again it sucked for a long time so no one wanted it so maybe it's not the best example.

Reactions: Dutchie
Well, I think if you real the original post again, he said:
"AND no I did not go for the 2k incentive because I think they will need to give me HW3 even for EAP to work as originally advertised."

I interpret it as I am entitled to a free HW3 upgrade to get EAP to work.

I could read it wrong also.

Reactions: Dutchie
Well, I think if you real the original post again, he said:
"AND no I did not go for the 2k incentive because I think they will need to give me HW3 even for EAP to work as originally advertised."

I interpret it as I am entitled to a free HW3 upgrade to get EAP to work.

I could read it wrong also.

I covered that part, but maybe you read it before I added that bit.

In any case I think it supports discounting it.

Tesla knows some percentage of EAP owners will expect HW3 for free for EAP. So its best to eliminate as many of them while still making some money. EAP owners absolutely have to expect that they're going to get cut off on any of the new stuff. Things that could make NoA a much better experience, and could make enhanced summons less of a parlor trick.

I don't see it as a question of entitlement, but one of strategy.

They feel like they have leverage based on expectations that come with buying something that was supposed to be really good. Is it really good? Not really.

I think it's a bad strategy, but I wish them luck. Not much they can do now as $5K would be not just throwing in the towel but $3K more along with it.

I guess I'm someone that likes meeting halfway so I would have been perfectly okay with $2K.