Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Madison, WI Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Madison Gas and Electric Community services, "Yes, Tesla has applied with the City of Madison to build a six stall Tesla Supercharger charging station in the JC Penney parking lot at East Towne Mall. Initial construction has started at the site and while we do not know the construction timeline, we expect it to be operational by perhaps the end of the year. "

According to Madison Gas and Electric Community services, "Yes, Tesla has applied with the City of Madison to build a six stall Tesla Supercharger charging station in the JC Penney parking lot at East Towne Mall. Initial construction has started at the site and while we do not know the construction timeline, we expect it to be operational by perhaps the end of the year. "

Damn, you ruined tonight's Thanksgiving surprise I had for everyone!!! :)

Update on Madison coming in a few hours when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you perhaps check Mauston this weekend, and then every other weekend thereafter?

Yes, I will check Mauston Saturday. City/Town/Village of Mauston is small, shouldn't take very long.

Last edited:
Excellent! Exciting! Thank you.

But since construction has started at Madison, it is likely that Mauston has now dropped in priority below Eau Claire. At least, I hope so for Vexar's sake.

It's 182 miles from Madison to Eau Claire, so 85's will have absolutely no trouble, 60's will have absolutely no trouble in Summer, may need to slow down a bit in Winter to make it with a range charge comfortably.
I hope Pleasant Prairie comes next. I still cannot find references to the SC in Mauston when digging through city happenings/permitting. Pleasant Prairie already has the Green light. That will also open up easy travel from Chicago to Madison, then Eau Claire, and also the other direction from Chicago to Green Bay and the U.P.

Did you make it home from Madison without charging?

Yah, barely. I rolled in just as it ticked 0 miles. I had dropped speed down to 60 (speed limit 65, usually do 71), and when I got off the freeway, I had 3 miles to go with 1 mile range left. I took a back road with no traffic and limped it at 25mph, amazing how going that slow at a steady pace increases range!

Update: No progress at Pleasant Prairie or East Town mall as of 11/20/2013

As for that LONG over due video, here is a preview of the Pleasant Prairie Mall.

A couple of things I learned today:
***Hate to be a downer, but I went to the Supercharger Opening in Corsicana today (and later went to Huntsville's Opening).
Per one of the contractors in attendance (same ones who built Corsicana will be building PP), Pleasant Prairie has been put "on hold" by the Mall Landlord.
Seems there is this little thing called Christmas which is about to happen, and the Landlord thinks lots of shoppers will need their parking spaces (and probably NO concurrent construction area/dirt, etc.).

Net result: Even though the Contractors are ready to start construction for the Superchargers, you probably won't be seeing much (if any) activity until after the first of the year @ Pleasant Prairie.
Such is life.

***Oh, and the cables @ Supercharger Stations that they still need to pull...
Again per the Contractors I spoke with: the cables are really difficult to pull even when it is 80 degrees F.
I really have no idea how they will circumvent the logistics of pulling cables in sub-freezing weather.
Maybe install some temporary tents and a couple of 'salamanders' to heat up the enclosure?
Mind boggling construction concepts for somebody who sees snow only 1 or 2 days a year in North Texas (me).

***Possible bright spot.
I did hear that there are Mobile Supercharger Stations (?) which take about two days to off-load, install, hook-up and be operational.
==>>First I have ever heard of them.>>
So if they are (real and) strategically placed (in temporary fashion), routes could be built...
...and when the weather warms a bit, they could construct the real Supercharger Stations.
And probably remove the Mobile Supercharger Stations (?) for future re-deployment.
Maybe this is how Elon will be able to accomplish his Spring Break Cross Country trek.
Lot's of surprises in store I am sure.

A couple of things I learned today:
***Hate to be a downer, but I went to the Supercharger Opening in Corsicana today (and later went to Huntsville's Opening).
Per one of the contractors in attendance (same ones who built Corsicana will be building PP), Pleasant Prairie has been put "on hold" by the Mall Landlord.
Seems there is this little thing called Christmas which is about to happen, and the Landlord thinks lots of shoppers will need their parking spaces (and probably NO concurrent construction area/dirt, etc.).

Net result: Even though the Contractors are ready to start construction for the Superchargers, you probably won't be seeing much (if any) activity until after the first of the year @ Pleasant Prairie.
Such is life.

***Oh, and the cables @ Supercharger Stations that they still need to pull...
Again per the Contractors I spoke with: the cables are really difficult to pull even when it is 80 degrees F.
I really have no idea how they will circumvent the logistics of pulling cables in sub-freezing weather.
Maybe install some temporary tents and a couple of 'salamanders' to heat up the enclosure?
Mind boggling construction concepts for somebody who sees snow only 1 or 2 days a year in North Texas (me).

***Possible bright spot.
I did hear that there are Mobile Supercharger Stations (?) which take about two days to off-load, install, hook-up and be operational.
==>>First I have ever heard of them.>>
So if they are (real and) strategically placed (in temporary fashion), routes could be built...
...and when the weather warms a bit, they could construct the real Supercharger Stations.
And probably remove the Mobile Supercharger Stations (?) for future re-deployment.
Maybe this is how Elon will be able to accomplish his Spring Break Cross Country trek.
Lot's of surprises in store I am sure.
Thanks for the information! Downer on Pleasant Prairie :(

As for pulling the cables, for those who do not know how stiff this wiring is, they use a Electric Winch to pull the cables. I've seen winches stall out doing the pulls on Commercial sites in the past. This is no fishing line pull here :p

And really neat with the mobile SC's. Could use some in Wisconsin right about now, left with a Full Range charge on my 60 from the dells Monday morning, pulled into my driveway 125 miles away with 4 miles left. Left with 191 on a range charge (preheated the crap out of my battery!). During the summer, I end my trip with a 40-50 mile buffer. And I drove slow, and had heat low :(

Mysterious Tesla boxes at East Towne Mall in Madison,WI
unnamed.jpg

Reactions: emorog
Live near Chicago and taking first Tesla "trip." ... to Madison, WI. Appears SCs are months or longer away. Found a fast charger on E. Washington, but you need a "card" from Madison Gas & Electric -- and one is only available Mon-Fri (and it's Saturday). I'm charging at 110 at my hosts' house, but may have to extend stay and go home via Rockford. Any locals have any suggestions?

Live near Chicago and taking first Tesla "trip." ... to Madison, WI. Appears SCs are months or longer away. Found a fast charger on E. Washington, but you need a "card" from Madison Gas & Electric -- and one is only available Mon-Fri (and it's Saturday). I'm charging at 110 at my hosts' house, but may have to extend stay and go home via Rockford. Any locals have any suggestions?
The Fast charger on E. Washington is a CHAdeMO station, not currently compatible with the Model S until the CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter is released this winter. Their are a bunch of level 2 chargers, even a hour or two at one of these is worth it's weight in gold. Go to the one at the HyVee Grocery store if it is not occupied. You will need a Chargepoint account, see Electric Vehicle Charging by ChargePoint
That is the fastest Level 2 in the area, about 20+ miles per hour recharge rate, so one, even two hours on that is worth 6-14 hours worth of 120v charging.
Otherwise, you would be cutting it close, If you drive concertivly, you can make it to the Mauston supercharger, do a full range charge their, drive back to Madison, and you'd still have at least 50% charge when you get back to Madison. I also have a 14-50 outlet available in the dells if you need a lil extra to make it to Mauston.

The Fast charger on E. Washington is a CHAdeMO station, not currently compatible with the Model S until the CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter is released this winter. Their are a bunch of level 2 chargers, even a hour or two at one of these is worth it's weight in gold. Go to the one at the HyVee Grocery store if it is not occupied. You will need a Chargepoint account, see Electric Vehicle Charging by ChargePoint
That is the fastest Level 2 in the area, about 20+ miles per hour recharge rate, so one, even two hours on that is worth 6-14 hours worth of 120v charging.
Otherwise, you would be cutting it close, If you drive concertivly, you can make it to the Mauston supercharger, do a full range charge their, drive back to Madison, and you'd still have at least 50% charge when you get back to Madison. I also have a 14-50 outlet available in the dells if you need a lil extra to make it to Mauston.

Thank you. Found anoth chargepoint near my hosts' home (Fitchburg), so off to plug in there.