Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magazine reviews!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find the article on the Evo website, either. I think Tesla Motors may have posted their snippet a bit prematurely.

I'm pretty sure Evo withholds most all of the content from it's latest issue from it's website. I noticed this when I wanted to see the Aston Rapide test vs the Panamera and others. While there was a "story", it basically just says to buy the issue.

Thanks for the Link to Shore Mag, VFX.
As a child traveling with my parents in the mid fifties, Redamaks was a mandatory stop for a burger on the way to our summer cottage in Michigan. As a grandfather I still travel the Red Arrow Hwy and stop at Redamaks for a burger on my way to the same cottage.
The Red Arrow Hwy runs parallel to the eastern shore of Lake Michigan as it winds through the sand dunes. Always a great drive but a lot more fun in a Tesla.
With fifty plus Roadsters in the Chicago area Redamaks could be a Sunday destination with the addition of EV charging. How about it Maroney family?

Last edited:
Add $19,500 for the Sport options that include a larger electric motor, adjustable suspension, forged alloy wheels and competition tires.

I thought the base model and the Sport actually had the same motor but it was a firmware tweak that delivered the additional speed for the Sport. Is that not correct?

I thought the base model and the Sport actually had the same motor but it was a firmware tweak that delivered the additional speed for the Sport. Is that not correct?

My understanding is that the two motors are identical except that the sport has its copper windings wound by hand, thus allowing for more (or "better arranged") copper which creates a stronger magnetic flux which in turns creates more mechanical power.
Hand winding a motor is a very tedious operation that requires specialized skills hence the significant bump in price. Hand wound motors are the electrical motor equivalent of billet built and hand polished ports on an ICE.
Next up, banks of super capacitors will replace nitrous oxide systems :biggrin:

My understanding is that the two motors are identical except that the sport has its copper windings wound by hand, thus allowing for more (or "better arranged") copper which creates a stronger magnetic flux which in turns creates more mechanical power.
Hand winding a motor is a very tedious operation that requires specialized skills hence the significant bump in price. Hand wound motors are the electrical motor equivalent of billet built and hand polished ports on an ICE.

Thanks Dwegmull, that makes sense. Too bad the salespeople can't explain that :smile:

That is the latest information I have, too. The '09 models still had different motors. The '10 models have identical hardware, only the software is what makes them different.
Hence the spec sheet on the TM website that shows the both models with the same motor: Tesla Motors - technical specs

There are no '09 models: '08 then '10, with the Sport model starting in '10.

Yes sorry, I should have been more specific. I was wondering about the difference between the 2010 Base and Sport. Like RGB, I was told it was purely a software difference by the salesman (which I took to be an "official" statement). I remember thinking that when it was time to upgrade the battery in a few years, they may be able to tweak the software a little and increase the speed at that time :biggrin: However, dwegmull's explanation seems to make a little more sense. I believe chip manufacturers like Intel and AMD make all their 3GHz chips the same way and then test them knowing that some will have minor issues and will then only rate them for a slower speed like 2.5GHz. Sounds like the engines go through a similar process where the best are put in the Sport and the rest go to the Base. Had I known that, it may have impacted my decision to get a Base and not a Sport.

My guess is that it is both - a firmware change and a slightly differently wound motor.
Now what would happen if you 'flashed' your base model with sport firmware?
'Overclocking' the base motor might work... for a while... But you might burn it out eventually.

I am just guessing / speculating here.

As far as I know, with different firmware, the motor could make more power, and run at higher RPMs, but they wouldn't do that because the goal is more about making sure the whole system is long term durable.

http://www.auto123.com/en/tesla/roadster/2010/review?carid=1106500201&artid=116085
Oh, and about the hype? Gadzooks!!! This is thing is “artardedly” fast! By the second corner, I had explored 40% of the go-pedal's travel and the goose bumps were already surfacing. But, the best was yet to come.

Summary Rating: Complete Rating Styling (90%)
Accessories (80%) Space and Access (62%)
Comfort (85%)
Performance (100%)
Driving Dynamics (90%)
Safety (77%)
General Appreciation (90%)

Last edited:
There are no '09 models: '08 then '10, with the Sport model starting in '10.

I was talking about '09 models as in being produced in 2009.
Like mine, a 2010 Roadster built in 2009. Mine has a different motor than a friends sport model that was produced in the same week.

The Sport is quick. Even though it uses the same AC induction motor as the base model Roadster, Elon's henchmen tweaked the firmware to boost the battery's output.

The whole Wired article: Tesla Sport Roadster | Wired.com Product Reviews

...Even though it uses the same AC induction motor as the base model Roadster...
Perhaps someone could say that considering the same major components, but they still might be tempted to say that even if it was manufactured differently.

In the ICE world they have "blueprinted and balanced" engines. "Same engine" but more performance because you have less frictional losses and could run at higher RPMs.

Tesla Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
More efficient motor and hand-wound stator. The new motor generates more kilowatts per amp – in other words, more power -- than the predecessor.
Tesla Roadster Sport packs a little more punch for a lot more coin — Autoblog Green
It comes with a hand-wound stator and increased winding density for lower resistance and higher peak torque.

Tesla Motors - Roadster Sport
Power motor: Hand wound stator and increased winding density for lower resistance and higher peak torque
attachment.php?attachmentid=630&stc=1&d=1269105638.jpg

This point may have been confused because (I think) the 2010 base models got a "new motor" compared to the 2008. So the 2010 base motor and 2010 sport motor are probably more similar to each other than the 2010 base motor is to the 2008 motor. But that doesn't mean the 2010 base motor is exactly the same as the 2010 sport motor.

Attachments

• autoweek1.jpg
    autoweek1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
"2010 Tesla Roadster Sport Gives Driver More Torque for His Environmental Causes" Green Car Advisor
...In the next lane, at a stoplight on a road that skirts Stanford University, a smirking Corvette ZR1 owner revs his otherworldly 638-horsepower 7.0-liter V8. You twist the key in your ignition forward an eighth of a turn, which instantly switches the drive mode from Standard to Performance. The traffic signal changes, you and the 'Vette driver floor it. Three seconds later the powerful Chevrolet is occupying space in your rear-view mirror. Traction-control limitations. The Chevy salesman probably forgot to mention them to the now-frowning ZR1 owner.

Then there's the blue Infiniti G37 Sport 6MT with the close-ratio six-speed manual transmission and the short-throw shifter, one lane over on the 101 Freeway approaching San Francisco, Candlestick Park on the right. He's playful, as are you, and just like the Corvette driver soon he, too, is a shrinking part of the landscape behind you despite his best efforts to outpace and then just keep up.

And then there's the Miata owner, poor thing, taking a sweeping onramp as quickly as possible, white-knuckling it all the way and hoping his newer baby dressed in stormy blue mica paint doesn't lose traction and become roadkill. While he struggles, you race up behind him, drop back, race up behind him again, raise a hand to your mouth as if to cover a yawn...

I'm just repeating what I was told by my service manager. The newer models (production in 2010) have a similar motor, only the software is what makes the difference. The older models (production in 2009) do have a different motor. TEG, the articles you're quoting are all from 2009 if I'm not mistaken....
Anyway, not trying to be a know-it-all, just passing on the information I was given.

:)