Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magically disappearing 4 year/ 50k Used S Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2016 Tesla S used from Tesla in April of 2019 with an included 4 year 50k mile warranty. On December 28, 2021 when the mobile technician came to fix the front passenger door handle (fifth handle broken since purchase) I was told that my car was no longer under warranty and I needed to pay $230 to fix the handle.
I told him that this was wrong since I had a 4 year 50k mile warranty from the date of purchase. The tech stated that my car only had a 2 year 25k warranty (which was never an even an option) and upon being pressed stated that I'd only ever had the original warranty 4 year 50k warranty from the car's original purchase (sometime in 2016).

Has this magically disappearing warranty happened to anyone else?

They did offer a 2 year 25k warranty on higher used mileage vehicles. How many miles did your car have on it when you purchased it?
This is the question, and the answer.

The 2 year warranty was for used cars with over 50,000 miles at the time of sale. It was actually a 2 year / 100,000 total mile warranty, whichever came first.

Upvote 0
They did offer a 2 year 25k warranty on higher used mileage vehicles. How many miles did your car have on it when you purchased it?
My Tesla S 2016 came with 4 year/ 50k mile warranty when I purchased it from Tesla. It was 3 years old and had been a Tesla marketing car (no previous private owner).

Additional background info the two warranties available for certified used cars purchased directly from Tesla in April 2019 (when I made my purchase) were the 2 year/100k and 4 year/ 50k.

Unfortunately I didn't realize the potential for shadiness with a digital records system managed internally by Tesla and didn't think to proactively screenshot every exchange I had with them.

Upvote 0
My Tesla S 2016 came with 4 year/ 50k mile warranty when I purchased it from Tesla. It was 3 years old and had been a Tesla marketing car (no previous private owner).

Additional background info the two warranties available for certified used cars purchased directly from Tesla in April 2019 (when I made my purchase) were the 2 year/100k and 4 year/ 50k.

Unfortunately I didn't realize the potential for shadiness with a digital records system managed internally by Tesla and didn't think to proactively screenshot every exchange I had with them.
How many miles did the car have on it when you took delivery?

Was the car sold to you new (never titled) or used?

Upvote 0
I think the car probably did get sold with the original 4 year 50K warranty, only it was the remainder of the new car warranty. This misunderstanding would be cleared up if you check the information you received with the car purchase. This would definitely show you that they are giving you a new car warranty.

Upvote 0
I bought a 2016.5 MX 18 months ago, and got the 4/50k warranty. I downloaded all of the glovebox stuff right after delivery and saved it to my OneDrive. There is the section explaining the Warranties:

Used Vehicle Limited Warranty
The Used Vehicle Limited Warranty applies to vehicles that are under four years old and have less
than 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on the odometer at the time of Tesla’s delivery.
Used vehicles are protected by this Limited Warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km),
whichever comes first, starting from your delivery date.

Used Vehicle Extended Limited Warranty
The Used Vehicle Extended Limited Warranty applies to vehicles that are over 4 years old or have
over 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on the odometer but under 6 years old and have less than
100,000 miles (160,000 km) on the odometer at the time of Tesla’s delivery.
This Used Vehicle Extended Limited Warranty provides coverage for 2 years or up to a maximum
of 100,000 total miles (160,000 total km) on the vehicle's odometer, whichever comes first.

The main difference is the Extended Limited clearly states that the warranty expires at 100k miles on the Odometer, while the standard Limited Warranty doesn't, making me assume that it's a true 4/50k (not 50k on the odometer).

Looking at my Telsa.com account, I see this, which states my warranty has expired, but I have had warranty work done on it a few times last year with no issues...
4ts4LET.png

Upvote 0
Just looked at mine, shows expired as well (last February?) when it should be good through May of 2024 or 95k miles. I did just have service done Monday but they didn't have the part in stock so maybe that is why I didn't hear about it then? Also had the hood latch recall and a loose door panel fixed that was marked 'goodwill' on the receipt. Time to start asking questions.

Upvote 0
My info on Tesla's website is also incorrect, or lacking should I say. The listed end date for my "General Coverage" (whatever that means) is the end of the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty (why not just say that). While that is not wrong, it does NOT include the additional CPO 1 year or 10,000 mile Used Vehicle Limited Warranty that stacks on top of that. Battery and Drive Unit Warranty dates are correct. I think they are simply not listing the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty on their website but probably need to confirm at least that it is on record!

FYI here's the PDF for the used car warranty if anyone would like to download it.

Upvote 0
My info on Tesla's website is also incorrect, or lacking should I say. The listed end date for my "General Coverage" (whatever that means) is the end of the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty (why not just say that). While that is not wrong, it does NOT include the additional CPO 1 year or 10,000 mile Used Vehicle Limited Warranty that stacks on top of that. Battery and Drive Unit Warranty dates are correct. I think they are simply not listing the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty on their website but probably need to confirm at least that it is on record!

FYI here's the PDF for the used car warranty if anyone would like to download it.

Thanks. That warranty has an effective date of October 2020. That warranty does not apply to people who purchased theirs before that date. Anyone have a copy of the warranty from before that?

Upvote 0
Tesla is very sloppy on this stuff. My records indicate I bought the car, and the warranty ends, a day before the actual date of purchase. This is likely why I was charged before purchase for Supercharger fees, and for Supercharger Idle Fees when the Tesla store was topping up my car before delivery. Probably not worth fooling with, unless I have a major issue on the last day 4 years from now, and then 8 years from now.

Upvote 0