Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magnetic Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
My friends already have a ridiculously good set of magnetic battery designs, with roughly 100 times the energy density of anything on the market, so that it should cost roughly 1/10 the cost per kilowatt of the current stuff. It's been several years now and we haven't managed to get it commercialized. It will be eventually, one hopes.
If they want a test vehicle I'm willing to pull out my LiFePO4 cells. At 100 times the energy density that would give me a 120kWh+ pack!

But the key thing here is that none of the other carmakers have bothered to design an electric car. They're all stuffing an electric motor into a car *shaped* like a gasoline car, and trying to make it *act* like a gasoline car. This gives bad handling, bad weight distribution, bad ergonomics, bad HVAC, etc.
Except at the energy density levels you're talking about batteries and the EV drivetrain have better effective energy density than an ICE system and you don't need to redesign anything. I took an ICE and put in an electric drivetrain and battery pack and ended up at the same weight as the original vehicle, but I only have 12kWh's of storage. If I can do the same and end up with 120kWh's of storage at the same weight and same space nothing needs to be redesigned. That goes to my point that if energy density is high enough and cost is low enough you don't really need to do anything special to design a good EV.

My friends already have a ridiculously good set of magnetic battery designs, with roughly 100 times the energy density of anything on the market, so that it should cost roughly 1/10 the cost per kilowatt of the current stuff. It's been several years now and we haven't managed to get it commercialized. It will be eventually, one hopes.
Have you guys got to the prototype stage? Proof of concept, I mean like coin sized cell? Or even smaller one, lab made tiny cell that actually works?

Have you guys got to the prototype stage? Proof of concept, I mean like coin sized cell? Or even smaller one, lab made tiny cell that actually works?

Frustratingly we keep changing manufacturing plans. I keep pushing to actually get a prototype produced of at least one of the designs. One of the principals suffers from the "But I have an even better design" problem.

Frustratingly we keep changing manufacturing plans. I keep pushing to actually get a prototype produced of at least one of the designs. One of the principals suffers from the "But I have an even better design" problem.

electronics producers (tv's , smartphones) produce them as soon as they are better as what is on the market! Although they have better products in finished from r&d. This gives them margin to stay ahead of the competition!
If you don't produce, at one point someone else will!

With the risk of making some people uneasy or even angry (sorry in advance), my friends have a nice bridge they could sell to you for roughly 1/10 of the price ;)

Really? In a central location/major city?? A bridge to nowhere is not much use... ;-)

My friends told me it's quite well connected on both sides, but maybe some checks are in order ... I know a very good private detective!

Attachments

• Justthetravel-Golden-Gate.jpg
    Justthetravel-Golden-Gate.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 530
I'm working with an inventor who is constitutionally like this, but we got him to agree that the design was done when it hit certain benchmarks, i.e. cost, performance, and manufacturability at scale. This exercise had a very positive focusing effect on the R&D process.

I'm working with an inventor who is constitutionally like this, but we got him to agree that the design was done when it hit certain benchmarks, i.e. cost, performance, and manufacturability at scale. This exercise had a very positive focusing effect on the R&D process.

I would love it if we could do this, and I'm not going to say anything further.