Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magnetic Phone Mount - What's Your Preferred Installation Location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all of you awesome TMC fans. I've really enjoyed my new Model X since receiving it about a month ago. I chose to not have Tesla install the phone dock because I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and don't want to risk damaging the (brittle and sensitive) micro-USB port. I used a Scosche MagicMount, a magnetic phone mount, in my last car and absolutely loved it. My Model X has figured ash for the dashboard trim which as many of you know, has a natural finish on it without an overcoat. If possible, I'd like to avoid the risk of damaging the wood (due to the adhesive) and hate the idea of mounting it to the windshield. Do any of you use this sort of magnetic mount and if so, where do you think is the best mounting location?
upload_2016-9-18_18-29-44.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-18_18-27-29.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-18_18-27-29.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 151
I have the glossy, dark finish, don't recall it's name. I got it covered (at least, most of it) with paint protection film, because the are on the glove compartment came scratched terribly from the factory. Not deeply, but a large area of circular scratching. Anyway, the film made that nearly invisible.

I use a ball-type magnetic mount, and I have it to the left of the steering wheel, on the (film protected) wood. I've got an iPhone 6 plus, so it's a pretty big phone. Mounting the magnet/ball as low as possible on that area allows me to have the phone in portrait or landscape and still not block the vent.

Stuck mine to the right of the big screen just above the glove box button on the wood panel. Good height and not obscured by the steering wheel. I like it so much that I bough another one for my wife's lexus sedan. For that one I mounted it on top of the dash at the front edge. The ball mount can adjust to hold the phone just over the edge with the edge acting as a back support for pressing the screen if that makes sense. Maybe that would be an option for the X as well but I might be concerned with removing the 3M adhesive later. Also, I think PUP owners have alcantara there, so not going to be option for that I assume although mine is Non-PUP.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Stuck mine to the right of the big screen just above the glove box button on the wood panel. Good height and not obscured by the steering wheel. I like it so much that I bough another one for my wife's lexus sedan. For that one I mounted it on top of the dash at the front edge. The ball mount can adjust to hold the phone just over the edge with the edge acting as a back support for pressing the screen if that makes sense. Maybe that would be an option for the X as well but I might be concerned with removing the 3M adhesive later. Also, I think PUP owners have alcantara there, so not going to be option for that I assume although mine is Non-PUP.
I placed mine in the same location. I placed it just far enough away from the screen that when I have my phone mounted horizontally, the charge cable (routed through the front console) just clears the right-side of the display.