Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

magnetic phone mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought 3 different kinds from Amazon with the slim metal attachment of the phone. Haven't installed it at all because after looking for a surface to adhere the base to (uses 3M adhesive backing sticker) I realized I'm afraid of altering the carbon fiber trim finish or even the leather/vinyl/fabric on top of the dash...although sellers say it won't damage the surface...=\

I avoided the A/C clip versions for obvious reasons. Don't want to block the already-too-small A/C vents. Sorry this post wasn't so helpful but that is my experience so far haha.

I have two of these for two phones: Scosche magicMOUNT surface is a Magnetic Flush Mount for Mobile Devices.

I think they fit perfectly just to the right / left of the upper portion of the 17 inch display just under the vents adhered to the trim. My trim is glossy so I am not worried about removal. Did it in a previous car with no problem. Looks clean, no arms or clips sticking out. The thickness of the magnetic base works very well with the leather trim part that will rest on the back bottom portion of the phone. The top portion of the phone will block a portion of the vents but I like the phone up high so I don't have to look too far down from the windshield. Has not caused any issues for me.

Edit. Oops, just realized this was in Model X thread. I have a Model S. Don't know if that matters.

Ahhah, allow me to introduce myself: I am apparently sperryspoop6x, because I thought very similarly to both of the above posters!

I, too, bought several different options (hey, they're all like, $US 20 — it's a $150k car, what do I care about spending a couple hundred to find the solution that's Just Right for one of the most important parts of the car?); and I can tell you this for sure: only precisely one of the brands I've tried handles Ludicrous acceleration. (Spoiler: It's not the ugly one being sold with the Tesla logo on it. -_-)

I heartily endorse all of Scosche's MagicMOUNT products. I use two in my car right now; have used the vent-mounted one in older cars; and like the last poster said, the flush-mount model nestles oh-so-perfectly in right beside the 17" touchscreen!

(Edit: Oh, also, the iPad on the left in the above photo is mounted on a different Scosche product – the MagicMOUNT XL Note that, although the Amazon page says ‘headrest’, that is indeed the product pictured, with a suction-cup.)

My thoughts on the Steelie mount vs MagicMOUNT. The pro is that the phone can be perfectly positioned at any angle to reduce any glare and can also be directed towards passenger if wanting to. FYI, I've never accounted a glare issue with the "fixed* position of the MagicMOUNT. The cons include the ball not as aesthetically pleasing as the flat Scosche. The cup shaped disc attached to the phone is not as good as a very slim plate. Operation of the touchscreen and buttons on the phone could cause the phone to pivot around depending on how much force is exerted on the screen by one's finger. I've never used this so I don't know how magnetically strong the ball/pivot is.

• Informative
Reactions: moscard
My thoughts on the Steelie mount vs MagicMOUNT. The pro is that the phone can be perfectly positioned at any angle to reduce any glare and can also be directed towards passenger if wanting to. FYI, I've never accounted a glare issue with the "fixed* position of the MagicMOUNT. The cons include the ball not as aesthetically pleasing as the flat Scosche. The cup shaped disc attached to the phone is not as good as a very slim plate. Operation of the touchscreen and buttons on the phone could cause the phone to pivot around depending on how much force is exerted on the screen by one's finger. I've never used this so I don't know how magnetically strong the ball/pivot is.
We have them in all seven cars. No complaints - just keep it away from your credit card as the magnet is very strong

I bought a super-expensive version of the Steelie, called the Topline Slimline Magnetic Phone Holder. Here are some photos:
bF1xHlN.jpg
92r7MG2.jpg
zxJwwnK.jpg

Actually i also want to share a useful one with all of you, and we welcome good suggestions. This forum can not share link, at least the one who want to put link should pay. So i will not share links to you. The one is customized for Model x. I like my white 90D, how about you?

Attachments

• White in China.jpg
    White in China.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 315
  • black in center.jpg
    black in center.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 293
For those that have the carbon fiber trim, does this adhesive alter the matte finish at all? Other trims are finished in gloss so I know that's unaffected or easily cleaned. Even the other matte finish isn't the same matte as the carbon fiber..

i brought magnetic phone holder from Teslafans amazon.I love the style of this one magnetic metal phone holder. This is a good quality product for me as it is made of metal which is really tough and doesn't break or damage easily. The color is gold which I love making it look classy while the magnet holds your phone pretty tight. It's safe to use and because it can hold even bigger phones like iphone/samsung.

Attachments

• magnetic phone holder.png
    magnetic phone holder.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 339