TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Magnetic Sign Work Around Ideas?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Alfafoxtrot1, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

I've been borrowing my brother's convertible (911) for our July 4th parade. This year, I'd like to drive my MS. However, the magnetic sign that identifies me (as a thankless volunteer on the local board) won't stick to her. Duct tape isn't entirely appealing. Someone on here has to have a great suggestion for me - maybe someone uses similar signs for their work? Similarly, I drive on airports and have a magnetic mars light for the car. So, I'm looking for a solution for that too. Thanks.

2. dbfish

dbfish Member

Try adhesive putty, shouldn't leave any mark on the paint:

http://www.amazon.com/Removable-Reusable-Non-Toxic-Poster-Putty/dp/B000BQMFEC/ref=sr_1_58?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1366652538&sr=1-58&keywords=3m+hang

Or gaffer's tape does not leave marks if not left on too long. It's usually blue or black, but here it is in white.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GFT447-Gaffers-Tape-White/dp/B003BVJ7PE

For the airport magnetic light, get this suction cup mount and mount a metal plate to it:

http://www.filmtools.com/cleatsuccamm.html

3. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

Wow - thanks, dbfish. I'll have to experiment with the putty and gaffers tape. Its kinda scary to stick anything to the MS.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

5. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

Thanks, bonnie - I suspected I wasn't the first to encounter the question, but searching "homecoming parades" eluded me.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm sure those signs will work for other kinds of parades and events, not just homecoming parades. :) (Perhaps we were a bit too specific at the time.)

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If you enlarge the pictures, you'll see the vinyl signs on the window of my car. (From last weekend, Fair Park, Dallas). I did have to use a couple of pieces of tape because the wind kept blowing them off.

8. Jason

Jason Member

Here are some that work well - 'Joe's Sticky Stuff' - do google search.
    and also used 3m wall hanger tape - also google search, but at most stores like target, walmart, etc... You just you the refill tapes.

These work to hold things on at highway speeds :) but come off clean