Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MagSafe Retrofit using Tesla’s Wireless Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will pale in comparison to the recently released refreshes that I cant stop drooling over, but I had this idea to open up Tesla’s Wireless Charger that I have in my S and putting a MagSafe Charger in there in the hopes of getting faster charge rate..

It actually fits pretty good with a minor modification that may or may not even be necessary.

1. Remove Wireless Charger from Car (if already installed)

install-wireless-phone-charger-model-x.gif

2. Remove 5 Screws back of charger.

4725899C-50FF-4808-856C-1B766492E57C.jpeg

3. Remove back cover and then 2 internal screws to remove circuit board.
    B494803E-DE2E-4FFB-9D92-AF0086B9126D.jpeg
  4. Remove Circuit Board from Charger Housing and Set Aside for Safe Keeping, There are 3 small plastic ridges (see pic) using a exactly knife or knife of choice cut the top one. (*minor modification that may or may not be needed)
    F68CA267-3584-4110-B506-8E23FFB139FE.jpeg
  5. Position MagSafe Charger in Housing by using a MagSafe equipped phone or MagSafe phone case to engage magnet, keeping it in place before closing.
*I initially wanted to glue the MagSafe Charger into place, but during my test fittings, I learned that the back case holds the the charger in place SECURELY and I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of removing super glue, nor was I sure how heat would affect it whether that be from charging or interior temps on a hot day. I did a few stress tests with no movement what so ever only time will tell but I’m 99% sure it will hold as is.

F98F869A-3117-4799-B682-E61D373BD3BE.jpeg

6. Run Excess Wiring Inside housing and Replace 2 internal sliver screws for safe keeping. I used a piece of double sided tape just to hold temporarily while I closed it up; not to securely hold it in place as there’s nothing in there really.. I also used a zip tie as a stopper to prevent the wire from being pulled out even though I don’t anticipate any stress at this point based on how it’s installed into the car.

8BBF3A76-71B0-438B-9C4D-3879122FCDC1.jpeg

7. With MagSafe Phone or Phone Case still in place, tidy everything up and replace the back cover, replace top left screw and bottom right screw.. and Test Charging Function using wall outlet etc. If it consistently charges replace remaining screws and Voila...

Enjoy your new Retrofitted MagSafe charger..

498BEE62-3108-4DC3-A04C-495CAB6934F1.jpeg
E2DAF4B6-7DD3-4E18-9DEC-6C36E6C47EF1.jpeg
D1CF4697-F8B3-4A8F-B622-2270EC7601A9.jpeg

Disclaimer: I’ve only tested my iPhone 12 with this method as the MagSafe charger is still a Qi charger this should still work with any other Qi enabled phone. As far as the faster charge rate goes this is from Apple’s website..

Compatible power adapters for up to 15W faster wireless charging
  • Connect the USB-C connector on your MagSafe Charger to a recommended 20 watt (W) or greater Apple USB-C power adapter or compatible third-party USB-C adapter. USB-C connector. USB-A is not supported
  • 9V/2.22A or 9V/2.56A and higher
  • iPhone 12 mini can get up to 12W for faster wireless charging with at least 9V/2.03A
  • Higher wattage adapters at or above 9V/2.56A will also deliver a maximum of up to 15W peak power to iPhone 12*
When Lightning accessories such as headphones are connected, charging is limited to 7.5W to comply with regulatory standards.

I’m not sure about the capabilities of our cigarette lighters, I have to purchase a USB C cigarette lighter charger with 20 watts or more to take advantage of the faster 15w charging.

I will update this post with any findings or issues..

This will pale in comparison to the recently released refreshes that I cant stop drooling over, but I had this idea to open up Tesla’s Wireless Charger that I have in my S and putting a MagSafe Charger in there in the hopes of getting faster charge rate..

It actually fits pretty good with a minor modification that may or may not even be necessary.

View attachment 631457

3. Remove back cover and then 2 internal screws to remove circuit board.View attachment 631458
  4. Remove Circuit Board from Charger Housing and Set Aside for Safe Keeping, There are 3 small plastic ridges (see pic) using a exactly knife or knife of choice cut the top one. (*minor modification that may or may not be needed)View attachment 631462
  5. Position MagSafe Charger in Housing by using a MagSafe equipped phone or MagSafe phone case to engage magnet, keeping it in place before closing.
*I initially wanted to glue the MagSafe Charger into place, but during my test fittings, I learned that the back case holds the the charger in place SECURELY and I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of removing super glue, nor was I sure how heat would affect it whether that be from charging or interior temps on a hot day. I did a few stress tests with no movement what so ever only time will tell but I’m 99% sure it will hold as is.

View attachment 631465

6. Run Excess Wiring Inside housing and Replace 2 internal sliver screws for safe keeping. I used a piece of double sided tape just to hold temporarily while I closed it up; not to securely hold it in place as there’s nothing in there really.. I also used a zip tie as a stopper to prevent the wire from being pulled out even though I don’t anticipate any stress at this point based on how it’s installed into the car.

View attachment 631467
7. With MagSafe Phone or Phone Case still in place, tidy everything up and replace the back cover, replace top left screw and bottom right screw.. and Test Charging Function using wall outlet etc. If it consistently charges replace remaining screws and Voila...

View attachment 631469 View attachment 631470 View attachment 631471
Disclaimer: I’ve only tested my iPhone 12 with this method as the MagSafe charger is still a Qi charger this should still work with any other Qi enabled phone. As far as the faster charge rate goes this is from Apple’s website..

• Connect the USB-C connector on your MagSafe Charger to a recommended 20 watt (W) or greater Apple USB-C power adapter or compatible third-party USB-C adapter. USB-C connector. USB-A is not supported
  • iPhone 12 mini can get up to 12W for faster wireless charging with at least 9V/2.03A
  • Higher wattage adapters at or above 9V/2.56A will also deliver a maximum of up to 15W peak power to iPhone 12*
When Lightning accessories such as headphones are connected, charging is limited to 7.5W to comply with regulatory standards.

I’m not sure about the capabilities of our cigarette lighters, I have to purchase a USB C cigarette lighter charger with 20 watts or more to take advantage of the faster 15w charging.

do you happen to know the part number for the Tesla charger?.....I have been waiting for almost a year to get them to get me mine.....DId not come with car, but was left off....they keep saying they are ordering it but never do....if I could get part number I will but and make the mod.....thanks in advance for any help

do you happen to know the part number for the Tesla charger?.....I have been waiting for almost a year to get them to get me mine.....DId not come with car, but was left off....they keep saying they are ordering it but never do....if I could get part number I will but and make the mod.....thanks in advance for any help

My car didn’t come with one so I just ordered it from the Tesla shop.
Model S/X Wireless Phone Charger

However the part number you are looking for is 1546873-00-B

48E603B6-A0DB-4539-846A-A9536DFCAD7B.jpeg

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Random question.

With either the Magsafe or the original Tesla charger, did you ever notice interference with the key recognition? To be more specific about my ask, I always keep my key in my right pocket and I always put my phone in the wireless charger when I get in the car. Every time, about 1 minute into my drive, I get a "no key detected" warning on the dash. It took me a while, but I traced it back to interference with the wireless charger. As soon as I pull the phone from the charger, the message goes away. If I put the key farther away, it does not happen. It appears the car only checks for the key once, about a minute into the drive.

Am I the only one? Is it a Samsung issue (I am on Galaxy S10). Since you clearly use your charger, I wonder if you have seen this issue.

Sorry for the tangent.

View attachment 631457

3. Remove back cover and then 2 internal screws to remove circuit board.View attachment 631458
  4. Remove Circuit Board from Charger Housing and Set Aside for Safe Keeping, There are 3 small plastic ridges (see pic) using a exactly knife or knife of choice cut the top one. (*minor modification that may or may not be needed)View attachment 631462

View attachment 631465

View attachment 631467

View attachment 631469 View attachment 631470 View attachment 631471

Ingenious! Good going...

Reactions: Shane23
Random question.

With either the Magsafe or the original Tesla charger, did you ever notice interference with the key recognition? To be more specific about my ask, I always keep my key in my right pocket and I always put my phone in the wireless charger when I get in the car. Every time, about 1 minute into my drive, I get a "no key detected" warning on the dash. It took me a while, but I traced it back to interference with the wireless charger. As soon as I pull the phone from the charger, the message goes away. If I put the key farther away, it does not happen. It appears the car only checks for the key once, about a minute into the drive.

Am I the only one? Is it a Samsung issue (I am on Galaxy S10). Since you clearly use your charger, I wonder if you have seen this issue.

Sorry for the tangent.

That’s a really good question; when did you get your wireless charger?

when I took it apart it seems as though the entire housing was grounded by contact points (see pic) on the inside as well as this champagne color “shielding” Thought nothing of it at the time but now that you’ve mentioned it; maybe the newer chargers were shielded against interference as I’ve never experienced “no key detected” issues; with key in pocket and to add to that I have an aluminum case for my key..

E403F6A7-3DA5-46A1-AC45-0805616D28AB.jpeg

That’s a really good question; when did you get your wireless charger?

when I took it apart it seems as though the entire housing was grounded by contact points (see pic) on the inside as well as this champagne color “shielding” Thought nothing of it at the time but now that you’ve mentioned it; maybe the newer chargers were shielded against interference as I’ve never experienced “no key detected” issues; with key in pocket and to add to that I have an aluminum case for my key..

View attachment 631998

Mine came with the car in Feb 2020. I have had the issue ever since. Regardless of the shielding, by design a wireless charger creates an electromagnetic field which in my case causes interference. What I don't know now, is if it's a Samsung issue (pulling more power or simply less shielded) or if I have a bad wireless charger. Now off to put my daughter's iPhone 12 (yes she has a better phone than I) in there to see if the Apple does it too...hang tight...

Mine came with the car in Feb 2020. I have had the issue ever since. Regardless of the shielding, by design a wireless charger creates an electromagnetic field which in my case causes interference. What I don't know now, is if it's a Samsung issue (pulling more power or simply less shielded) or if I have a bad wireless charger. Now off to put my daughter's iPhone 12 (yes she has a better phone than I) in there to see if the Apple does it too...hang tight...

iPhone 12 Pro here , 11 Pro before this and no issues here

We've come a long way. I have loved that Aukey flush USB-C adapter by the way, blue light notwithstanding.

Did you consider taking the magsafe charger apart to reduce the connecting distance even more?

Anyone considering skipping the Tesla wireless charger adapter altogether and putting the magsafe in the hinged phone holder?

Wow lol yes we have...

I thought about it but I really wanted the ability to be able to put everything back to stock if it didn’t work as well as I wanted. Leaving the MagSafe together gave it the size needed to be properly held once I put the cover back on versus gluing it.

iPhone 12 Pro here , 11 Pro before this and no issues here

I took my daughter's 12 and my wife's 11 Pro and both had no issues, granted it was on a 1 drive test. I then took my GS10 and had the problem again. So it's a Samsung thing. (please save the iPhone/Samsung argument for someone who cares).

But now I am curious why. My only assumption is that Apple uses more shielding in their phones? but let's not highjack your thread any more that I already have.

I took my daughter's 12 and my wife's 11 Pro and both had no issues, granted it was on a 1 drive test. I then took my GS10 and had the problem again. So it's a Samsung thing. (please save the iPhone/Samsung argument for someone who cares).

But now I am curious why. My only assumption is that Apple uses more shielding in their phones? but let's not highjack your thread any more that I already have.

That is strange..

At least you have a fix if you can’t figure it out..

*cough* Get iPhone *cough* lol

I had the issue of interference blocking the key while charging in my June, 2020 S. Tesla Service knew exactly what to do, and installed a modified wireless charger to correct the problem.
Wireless Charger Asy (1546873-00-B)

• Informative
Reactions: powaking