Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MagSafe starts charging phone but then stops

artichoke.dip

Jul 23, 2020
USA
2016 MX + iPhone 12 Pro

I have a MagSafe charger plugged into a car charger adapter plugged into the center console 12V outlet. I have the MagSafe disc mounted to the dash on a NiteIze Steelie adhesive mount. I have a Casely case with integrated MagSafe.

When I put the phone on the MagSafe, it charges for about a minute, then stops charging. This happens with both a Belkin (Belkin 2A/36W 2-port USB-C Car Charger - Black) and Anker (USB C Car Charger, Anker 48W... Amazon.com) unit.

If I unplug the cable or charger unit and then plug it back in, it will charge for a minute and then stop again.

Any ideas? I’m scratching my head on this one.

artichoke.dip

Jul 23, 2020
USA
Coming back here to report that it is the NiteIze Steelie magnetic mount that is interfering with the Apple MagSafe charger.

Too bad. It is a low-profile mount that works well in all other respects.

• Informative
Reactions: iustin

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC