Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maiden Voyage on a Brand New Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The delivery was 1 pm the afternoon on Friday (9/25). Delivery went smoothly, and the X had a whopping total of 10 miles on the odometer. We decided to run home quickly and check that the Tesla wall charger worked, and it was a beautiful sunny MN fall day, and we took off for dinner. We decided to drive to Still Water, which is about 40 miles from the Twin Cities, and I thought this would be a great trip to allow the FSD was still calibrating, so I actually drove the car myself. We enjoyed our dinner, and then my wife pointed to the Wisconsin side of the river and asked what was over there. She was pointing at Hudson, Wisconsin, so we jumped on the highway and proceeded to drive on the highway above Hudson.

Finally, the FSD finished calibrating right outside of Holten, WI, and decided to turn around and head back toward Hudson. Turned on FSD for the first time and was thinking of making mental notes about shortcomings, and about 1 mile later, I came up to a turnabout. FSD almost launched into a car in a turnabout coming from a 45-degree angle, and I was thinking to myself there is a weakness as I had to step on the brake. I turned FSD back on, and we were traveling on a river road; and about 3 miles later, out of the corner of my eye, a Turkey darts out from the road ditch. The angle it came from was initially behind the left seem between the windshield and the side window. I only had about a second, and I slammed on the brakes and hit the turkey hard. Obviously, FSD didn't detect the turkey. I immediately pulled over and got out and to check for damage, two lines of plastic chrome above the fog light that broke the clips, holding them on to the car (see photo).
Image.jpeg
  1. So upset, I didn't even have 60 total miles on the car yet. What is the best way to get them fixed? Should I schedule an appointment with Tesla, or should I fix it myself?
  2. I would offer feedback that Tesla should create a way to detect animals running across the road and offer avoidance. If it had been a deer, I would have certainly had a lot more damage.
Curious about how the warranty works and the best course to repair the damage or other thoughts and suggestions?

Sorry to hear about that, just schedule a service appointment and tell them you didn't know FSD doesn't brake for animals on the road. That's probably the best you can do lol.

Please schedule the service appointment as soon as possible, preferably before 100 miles or 24 hrs after your delivery. They may fix it for you for free considering your bad luck... I wouldn't bet on it though, but the sooner you schedule, the better.

• Funny
Reactions: Mboysen and P85_DA
I would strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with what the autopilot features can and cannot do. As you've learned the hard way, roundabouts/turnabouts are one thing it cannot yet handle. It can do a lot, but there's also a lot it cannot do. Once you hone your expectations you'll be able to preemptively disengage autopilot in certain situations.

Really sorry to hear about the turkey - congrats on the MX though - this is one spectacularly good machine - it is one of the best tow vehicles you'll ever drive, (albeit with reduced range) it's super fast, super comfortable, full of surprises and the more you drive it, the better you will like it. I replaced a Porsche Panamera (loved it as a car, but it broke down way too often = 7 times in 6 months) with my X and I'd never go back. Next car will be another X.

Be advised that FSD is terrible at handling situations like when the right white line disappears approaching an off ramp, highways diverging from, say, 3 lanes to 2, or going from 2 to 3. AP1 handles these situations nearly flawlessly but for some unknown reason, the FSD team cannot figure these out.

Reactions: Mboysen
Be advised that FSD is terrible at handling situations like when the right white line disappears approaching an off ramp, highways diverging from, say, 3 lanes to 2, or going from 2 to 3. AP1 handles these situations nearly flawlessly but for some unknown reason, the FSD team cannot figure these out.
Glad I'm not the only one with those issues !!

I see youtube videos showing how well FSD works and I think it must be just me having issues. I've had so many situations where it fails, I think I drive with more caution using it then not using it.

I feel we are so far away from true FSD that it could be years before I get any return on investment other then the occasional lane change.

I would strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with what the autopilot features can and cannot do.
This ^ I have driven AP1 , AP2.x cars for over 100k miles they are both solid but there are limitations ..I have done roundabouts before but slower speed ..never done a turkey though;) ..congrats on car you will enjoy I’m sure!

I had a milky paint stain beneath the clear coat (on our Model S) that I missed during inspection. I didn't notice it until 5 weeks later and the SC still took care of it and had the A-pillar repainted, along with the two side mirrors that exhibited bumps in the paint. This was October 2019. Just keep it polite and let them know how much you love the X and if they could help you put the pieces back in place. I imagine it shouldn't be too hard for the techs. Good luck with it and congrats on the new X. The Raven X rides very smoothly and is much, much better than pre-Raven.

Really sorry to hear about the turkey - congrats on the MX though - this is one spectacularly good machine - it is one of the best tow vehicles you'll ever drive, (albeit with reduced range) it's super fast, super comfortable, full of surprises and the more you drive it, the better you will like it. I replaced a Porsche Panamera (loved it as a car, but it broke down way too often = 7 times in 6 months) with my X and I'd never go back. Next car will be another X.
Thanks - 500 miles in 6 days, it’s fantastic!

I had a milky paint stain beneath the clear coat (on our Model S) that I missed during inspection. I didn't notice it until 5 weeks later and the SC still took care of it and had the A-pillar repainted, along with the two side mirrors that exhibited bumps in the paint. This was October 2019. Just keep it polite and let them know how much you love the X and if they could help you put the pieces back in place. I imagine it shouldn't be too hard for the techs. Good luck with it and congrats on the new X. The Raven X rides very smoothly and is much, much better than pre-Raven.

Thanks - I would echo keeping it polite; the service text messages that come through feels cold (aka a machine-generated) as it comes across but there is a human behind the message who is likely overwhelmed with service requests. I'm speculating is they deal with a lot of folks that don't understand the technical aspects and perhaps deal with people that may stretch the truth when reporting issues. From what I have read the concept is a laptop on wheels and there will be diagnostic logs for everything on the car that is automated. If I was Tesla I would certainly track in a CRM system how accurate and truthful a customer was in reporting issues. As metrics-driven as Tesla is there is likely a customer integrity dashboard.