Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main amplifier for JVC equipped roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update on this - when I had my double DIN conversion done a couple of days ago, my installer took a look at the subwoofer wiring. He said there was only one Blaupunkt amp powering the subwoofer and the rest of the speakers were powered by the head unit. My car is the very first 2.0 so it doesn't look like I got the full Rockford Fosgate system with my premium electronics option - likely because it was such a early build car. My installer also said because of the custom wiring harness, I'm only going to hear the sub when the speakers are running full range. He said not to use the high pass filters.

That said, with my new Pioneer AVIC 8000 NEX, the stock speakers sound so much better. I'm pretty happy. The tiny stock sub fills out the sound well enough for my tastes. It's far better than the underpowered stock JVC.

The Morels are the Hybrid series 402 ... HYBRID 2-way / Integra Morel ...they are 4", two way speakers ...same size as the Roadster's stock speakers, so an easy install...there appears to be a limited selection of quality 4' speakers out there.

I noticed on the website that the speakers are rated 100/300 watts. This might be a silly question, but can I use these speakers with the stock head unit? I'm not interested in changing that out (too much work), but I would like better quality speakers.

So I was looking around in the documentation, there is a Service Bulletin (SB-12-17-004) that discusses replacing the audio amplifier, specifically:

"Roadsters 2.0 and 2.5 equipped with premium audio systems and Rockford Fosgate amplifiers may be affected."

The SB goes on to show the amplifier being located in the passenger foot well next to the VMS. Though removing it does require moving the HV controller under the hood to get to amp's mounting bolts.

Looking at the photos I'm reasonably confident I have this amp -- and my car came with the JVC KD-NX5000...