Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MAIN BATTERY FAILURE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2012 signature series P85. It has 178,000 miles. I had the first main battery replaced (under warranty) at 95,,000 miles and I just had the second one go out at 178,000. They are quoting $21,000 to replace. Any thoughts? Gruber is 4-6 months out. Is it even worth replacing? The car is in great condition but when I KBB it, is shows the car is only worth $20,000. Is it worth replacing the battery? Has anyone else had two Main Batteries replaced. Looking for some insight. Thank you.

I have a 2012 signature series P85. It has 178,000 miles. I had the first main battery replaced (under warranty) at 95,,000 miles and I just had the second one go out at 178,000. They are quoting $21,000 to replace. Any thoughts? Gruber is 4-6 months out. Is it even worth replacing? The car is in great condition but when I KBB it, is shows the car is only worth $20,000. Is it worth replacing the battery? Has anyone else had two Main Batteries replaced. Looking for some insight. Thank you.
You got lucky with the timing of the first battery failure. That should have been the lesson.

The second battery failure happens and you’re wondering whether you should go for a third?

When a battery replacement costs more than than 100% of what the vehicle is worth, it’s time to dump it.

The real lesson is; never own a Tesla outside the warranty period.

You got lucky with the timing of the first battery failure. That should have been the lesson.

The second battery failure happens and you’re wondering whether you should go for a third?

When a battery replacement costs more than than 100% of what the vehicle is worth, it’s time to dump it.

The real lesson is; never own a Tesla outside the warranty period.

To simplify the math:

If I bought the car at $100,000 and sell it now (while it still functions, not when it's dead), it's worth $20,000. I can buy another new one, and my net loss is $80,000.

With that $80,000, I could drive another 8 years or 100,000 miles (simplify the math, not the actual number). Thus, each year costs $10,000.

Instead of buying a new car, I would buy a new battery that costs $20,000 (simplify the math, not the actual number) for 4 years and 50,000 miles (parts warranty). Thus, each year costs $5,000. I don't have to find a significant sum of $80,000 to pay for the new $100,000 car.

The battery might outlast the parts warranty of 4 years and 50,000 miles.

So there's a slight advantage in paying for the expensive battery and keeping your old car.

Show me a running P85 for $20k.

The moral here is KBB/NADA (for those that don't know, this stands for National Automobile Dealers Association... Bias much?) are low historically on used Tesla valuations. Good luck in ever finding a car for the value they claim w/o a seriously questionable history. If you do, it's a scam.

If you like the car & it suits your needs use one of the many 3rd party options to fix it. You'll lose the same amount in vehicle depreciation during the first six months of ownership on a new one... Not even factoring title/registration or financing fees.

What does one do with a Tesla with a dead battery? What is it worth?

BTW, I signed up with 057.

Can usually do battery replacements for way less than Tesla. We can also make an offer on the car after an inspection. Generally need the vehicle physically present to do anything, however. Transport costs not terrible from MD.

If by "signed up" you mean you purchased our battery service plan at some point prior to the battery failing or showing errors, just contact us and we'll work out a replacement/repair.

Can usually do battery replacements for way less than Tesla. We can also make an offer on the car after an inspection. Generally need the vehicle physically present to do anything, however. Transport costs not terrible from MD.

If by "signed up" you mean you purchased our battery service plan at some point prior to the battery failing or showing errors, just contact us and we'll work out a replacement/repair.
Jason,

My car is fine; I was just curious. I have purchased your service plan but I’m still waiting for the BMD. I emailed you about my travel,schedule.a couple of weeks ago. If it doesn’t arrive in a few days, I won’t need it for a while.

Jason,

My car is fine; I was just curious. I have purchased your service plan but I’m still waiting for the BMD. I emailed you about my travel,schedule.a couple of weeks ago. If it doesn’t arrive in a few days, I won’t need it for a while.
We're ridiculously behind on many of the BMBs unfortunately due to production and chip availability issues, the attempted workarounds for which have kind of snowballed into huge delays all around. :(

We've unofficially updated our terms to just work with anyone who has the plan, BMB or not, in the event of a failure provided that the vehicle logs show the failure and initial detections of the condition were not prior to purchasing the plan. We've already done several replacements under this also. As soon as legal review is complete we'll update the official terms to reflect this as well.

We're ridiculously behind on many of the BMBs unfortunately due to production and chip availability issues, the attempted workarounds for which have kind of snowballed into huge delays all around. :(

We've unofficially updated our terms to just work with anyone who has the plan, BMB or not, in the event of a failure provided that the vehicle logs show the failure and initial detections of the condition were not prior to purchasing the plan. We've already done several replacements under this also. As soon as legal review is complete we'll update the official terms to reflect this as well.
Thank you.

I understood you had updated your terms. The email was just trying to tell you that unless you happened to ship the BMB (BMD?) soon, I wasn’t a priority.

Reactions: wk057

Regardless of what kbb says, you can't buy a used P85 with 178K for $21K in great shape. Do you know the nature of the failure? Have you CANBUS scanned the the 96 modules voltages? If it's a single module that is out of spec, then I'd ship it to @wk057 .

Reactions: thefrog1394
We do buy broken cars from customers all the time, actually. It's always less than if you had the car fixed and sold it yourself (as in, usually our offer < normal sale minus our quoted repair/replacement cost), but sometimes it's a good option for people who are done with it and just want a chunk to put down on something new.

I can think of two options:
- Buy a wrecked one with good battery n swap it out, sell the rest for parts
- Sell yours for parts
Some pieces are crazy priced on ebay, esp P version
You can make a lot of money from parting out but it will take time...

What's even crazier is that many parts of ebay used are WAY more than the brand new part directly from Tesla. There seems to be this common misconception that Tesla won't see end users parts and it's totally not true. The only exception is body and high voltage related components.

Keeping a car for parting out requires having a spot to store the car for years and never being able to move it.

What's even crazier is that many parts of ebay used are WAY more than the brand new part directly from Tesla. There seems to be this common misconception that Tesla won't see end users parts and it's totally not true. The only exception is body and high voltage related components.

Keeping a car for parting out requires having a spot to store the car for years and never being able to move it.
That's good if true, I've never tried calling SC to compare prices but way too many users here report that it's hit or miss...
I wish they would open up online store so u can order directly from epc catalog.

Actually, i recall seeing someone posted a bill for Model X suspension repair and prices for arms/air springs/subframe were like double or triple of what it sells on ebay..
So maybe some parts are cheaper at Tesla but not all for sure.

Like others have said, the car is worth way more than $20k. Cheapest Model S on Autotrader anywhere in the US is listed for $30k.

What year was the first battery replaced? Two pack failures in under 200k miles seems odd to me