Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MAIN BATTERY FAILURE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2012 signature series P85. It has 178,000 miles. I had the first main battery replaced (under warranty) at 95,,000 miles and I just had the second one go out at 178,000. They are quoting $21,000 to replace. Any thoughts? Gruber is 4-6 months out. Is it even worth replacing? The car is in great condition but when I KBB it, is shows the car is only worth $20,000. Is it worth replacing the battery? Has anyone else had two Main Batteries replaced. Looking for some insight. Thank you.
What about asking your local service center to find you a refurbished battery. A Tesla owner here in Boise who bricked his battery was also quoted $20K for a new battery. Eventually, they found him a refurbished battery for I think he said $6K or $7K. Not sure about the warranty or anything, but it’s way less than $20K. Just out of curiosity, does the new battery come with the 8 year 100K warranty?

Reactions: bareyb
What about asking your local service center to find you a refurbished battery. A Tesla owner here in Boise who bricked his battery was also quoted $20K for a new battery. Eventually, they found him a refurbished battery for I think he said $6K or $7K. Not sure about the warranty or anything, but it’s way less than $20K. Just out of curiosity, does the new battery come with the 8 year 100K warranty?

I believe a brand new replacement battery comes with a 50K / 48 month warranty. I could be wrong.

I have asked time and time again and no one has answered my question, What does Tesla do to refurbish a battery pack? Are the contactors changed., are the cells inspected to make sure they are balanced before installing the pack? Are they inspecting modules for moisture or water intrusion?

Reactions: 2101Guy
I have asked time and time again and no one has answered my question, What does Tesla do to refurbish a battery pack? Are the contactors changed., are the cells inspected to make sure they are balanced before installing the pack? Are they inspecting modules for moisture or water intrusion?
They update the side vents to the latest revision. Update contactors. Main fuse. They'll update the BMB sense wires on v1.0 packs to v1.5 style (still ultrasonic welds) on ones that have failed or have higher resistance than expected. They'll also replace those BMBs since they're different than the v1.0s. (Usually the refurb packs have a mix of v1.0 and v1.5). Update the top cover to the latest revision (slightly better sealing). Update the top fire blanket and water seal to the latest revision (slightly better sealing). Replace the HV blade connector if worn. Etc.

They do a decent job, overall. We do pretty much the same process when refurbishing packs for our customers as well.

They update the side vents to the latest revision. Update contactors. Main fuse. They'll update the BMB sense wires on v1.0 packs to v1.5 style (still ultrasonic welds) on ones that have failed or have higher resistance than expected. They'll also replace those BMBs since they're different than the v1.0s. (Usually the refurb packs have a mix of v1.0 and v1.5). Update the top cover to the latest revision (slightly better sealing). Update the top fire blanket and water seal to the latest revision (slightly better sealing). Replace the HV blade connector if worn. Etc.

They do a decent job, overall. We do pretty much the same process when refurbishing packs for our customers as well.
1000 thanks for answering the question for me. I have seen some invoices where Tesla did not disclose that information on the refurbished pack

I'm in the same boat op. I have a 2013. A new Model S would cost me $90k. A new Battery will some day cost me $20k. Seems like if you love your car and it still runs well, it's cheaper to just get a new battery. How much are aftermarket batteries?
Can usually do battery replacements for way less than Tesla. We can also make an offer on the car after an inspection. Generally need the vehicle physically present to do anything, however. Transport costs not terrible from MD.

If by "signed up" you mean you purchased our battery service plan at some point prior to the battery failing or showing errors, just contact us and we'll work out a replacement/repair.
Was just on your website. It looks like you sell battery packs for my 2013 for less than two grand? Am I misreading that??? Will Tesla service install a battery pack if I buy it from you? The price difference is insane.

I'm in the same boat op. I have a 2013. A new Model S would cost me $90k. A new Battery will some day cost me $20k. Seems like if you love your car and it still runs well, it's cheaper to just get a new battery. How much are aftermarket batteries?
You cannot buy a new battery pack, Tesla will not sell you one and there are no aftermarket battery packs. Your only choice is to get a refurbished battery pack

Reactions: bareyb
They have the 350V batteries that are "new" 14 module 100 packs. I've a suspicion and a good pile of evidence that they're actually refurbished 16 module 100 packs into these other packs with 2 modules removed (since, as I keep trying to make sure everyone understands, you can not replace bad modules and neither can Tesla, so what do they do with a broken 100 pack?)... but haven't been able to confirm this with 100% certainty.

Putting a 350V battery in a performance variant, especially a dual motor performance, seems like a terrible idea with an out-of-warranty powertrain, since now you're stressing the drive units ~15% more than you were before, especially under high load.

They have the 350V batteries that are "new" 14 module 100 packs. I've a suspicion and a good pile of evidence that they're actually refurbished 16 module 100 packs into these other packs with 2 modules removed (since, as I keep trying to make sure everyone understands, you can not replace bad modules and neither can Tesla, so what do they do with a broken 100 pack?)... but haven't been able to confirm this with 100% certainty.

Putting a 350V battery in a performance variant, especially a dual motor performance, seems like a terrible idea with an out-of-warranty powertrain, since now you're stressing the drive units ~15% more than you were before, especially under high load.
That is what I suspected and that is why I questioned the price of 22k if it is not a new battery pack especially if 2 modules are removed. Does removing 2 modules change the crash worthiness of the car?

Last edited:

Can u explain the diff between 14 vs 16 or where i can get more info? just curious
Also, why can't u replace bad modules? i've seen electrified garage youtube video where they swapped couple of bad modules...

that is why I questioned the price of 22k if it is not a new battery pack especially if 2 modules are removed

All the battery labels I've seen posted at TMC have either:

1) the word "REMAN" included in part numbers and the battery labels
2) the word is missing all together in part numbers and the battery labels

So, if #2 is not new, then what’s the part# and/or label designation of a new battery pack?

(Of course, we know the new cars’ labels don’t have “REMAN” on them).

Also, the owners who have paid ~$23k for 1014116 90kWh 350VDC packs were told they are buying a new battery vs. getting a reman 85kWh pack for ~$13-14K.

This thread for example:

Last edited: