Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Battery Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, as stated in my post, I expected the same process as I've experienced in 50 years of car ownership under warranty. Take out the defective part and put in a brand new unit and declare mission accomplished. Simple R&R (remove and replace), done

Most SvC don't have brand new packs so this is standard procedure. They put in a loaner that may or may not have seen greater use than your original pack. In fairness they swap back in your original so that someone down the line doesn't complain about having received an inferior replacement.

They could not solve the problem but resolved it in another way. He got a call from the service manager saying they were ordering him a brand new S550 equipped exactly like his car, and when it arrived, they would trade keys and cars. My friend asked how much that was going to cost given the mileage, and the response came back that there was no charge as they were apologetic about all the aggravation and inconvenience they had caused. . That S550 cost about the same as my P90D, but the client experience is completely different.

There had to be more to it. He can't just "trade the keys" and have a different VIN on his registration and insurance papers. Plus, taxes need to be paid. He could get a refund on the taxes for his prior purchase, but he would have to get a refund then repay them. And if it's a lease then although most states only charge sales tax on individual monthly payments (and down payment, if any), some states, such as Texas, New York, Minnesota, Ohio, Georgia, and Illinois, require the entire sales tax to be paid up front, based either on the sum of all lease payments or on the full sale price of the vehicle, depending on the state.

I doubt it was as easy as swapping keys.

Why Tesla doesn't just swap new for bad escapes me.

They are. Why does that escape you? They just need to send it out to get the bad parts out.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
I have a similar experience with you. My battery was performing fine, but Tesla found out it has air leak during a routine service, Tesla replaced is with a loaner battery. They send the battery back to Fremont and told me it will take up to 2 months, it's been 3.5 months and no status update.

I do want my original battery back because I have a version B battery, the loaner is version A.

2013 P85 10,xxx, battery wouldn't take a charge past 57 miles rated and wouldn't draw more than 15A. (Search my posts for the full story)

Turns out it was a vent cover failure on the battery. I live 6 miles from the factory in Fremont. It still took 2 months to repair and I got my original battery back. No worse since now 6 months on.

Why not let me keep the loaner is what I asked myself. Then I asked would BMW give me a whole new engine if it was simply an O2 sensor. Answer is no, so why is tesla seemingly different in his case due to battery?

Let's think like we run the battery FA and repair department.

The backlog I suspect is due to the limited staffing, required disassembly and rework, and finally validation testing. Since I work in batteries, it makes sense they'd hook up the pack for 5-10 cycles to make sure it's ok. I mean we will put this back in someone's car!
And remember, this is a 85kW pack that can handle 200+A of power. Any stationary battery tester that could handle that kind of load would be extremely expensive, so limited number of channels to connect a pack for full testing would exist. Good question to ask Elon in the next call. How many battery repair stations exist? Remember that the pack needs to be connected to the cooling system as well. Think a very complex rig to test each battery.

For comparison, run a search for Arbin instruments or Maccor on Google. Both make battery test equipment that is industry standard. Quite interesting stuff these testers

They do a similar thing with turbine aircraft engines. If you are under warranty or on a maintenance program, and have an internal problem, they send you a loaner engine. You want your original engine back, as it is ,no doubt , a lower time engine. The labor and shipping cost of swapping engines is much less than having a plane down for a month or so. This is a common practice in aviation. Most of the time, the loaner engine is only a few hours away by truck. This is much better for the consumer as I know the maintenance and care that I have giving my engines over the life of them. All I know about the loaners is they are airworthy and meet specs. Since Tesla is involved in the aerospace industry, they probably got the idea from there.

John

Reactions: OPRCE
Mine has been at the body shop for 4 weeks. The only reason I knew anything was up is I have to call every few days to pull teeth to get an update. Anyway, mine is now at the ServCtr for main battery issues. It, according to them (I have not seen it) will not take a charge.

They are taking out my battery, and installing a loaner pack. This marks the 10,000th or so time my car has needed service. Roughly 200x less reliable than my 2005 Mazda Tribute with its thousands of moving parts.

Mine has been at the body shop for 4 weeks. The only reason I knew anything was up is I have to call every few days to pull teeth to get an update. Anyway, mine is now at the ServCtr for main battery issues. It, according to them (I have not seen it) will not take a charge.

They are taking out my battery, and installing a loaner pack. This marks the 10,000th or so time my car has needed service. Roughly 200x less reliable than my 2005 Mazda Tribute with its thousands of moving parts.

Sorry to see that. You had an accident? The reason I ask is because your car was at the body shop. If it was in an accident, the battery pack may have been damaged.

You could look at the lemon law route if you continue experiencing issues. The good news is that many people who have newer Teslas have had zero problems, so the level of reliability is improving.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I was T-boned by a deer. it scratched the side and windshield. I drove the car almost a month before dropping it at the body shop... so yes if it was a 'bigger' wreck maybe, but I think it was a coincidence. Lucky me though because if it stopped charging at home, it's a 100 mile + to the service center... they'd have to come get it.

No, as stated in my post, I expected the same process as I've experienced in 50 years of car ownership under warranty. Take out the defective part and put in a brand new unit and declare mission accomplished. Simple R&R (remove and replace), done

This is just any car -- it's battery powered and replacing the battery is not the same as replacing a fossil fuel engine. Prior experience with ICE's is not a standard for a BEV. As others have suggested this works to your advantage.