Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main differences between 2018 M3 and today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at upgrading from my 2018 RWD LR to a new dual motor LR. I know there are some differences, but I want to know what else I'm missing.

Removed since 2018
- premium connectivity
- lumbar support
- radar
- wired phone charger
- free homelink

Added since 2018
- power trunk lid
- no more chrome
- heat pump
- sentry USB drive in glovebox
- Autopilot (didn't have it on my 2018)
- heated steering wheel

What am I missing that might make me regret making the change? My 2018 has been pretty solid for me...
Redesigned interior?
New headlights?
Dual pane front side glass

Model 3 vs Model Y:
  • I have 3 kids so I need our minivan for road trips. Around town I don't have the need for a larger car. I could maybe take a model Y with the 3rd row for a road trip, but I'm seriously doubtful on having room for our bags.
  • If i did get the 3rd row, now i'm looking at a car that's $8k more than the M3
  • MY delivery is out to April while M3 is december
  • MY has 19" wheels vs M3 having 18". That means I'd need to buy new wheels for my summer set, and tires will be more expensive every time.
I have 31k miles. I used up the OEM tires, and now have 2 sets of wheels, one with winter tires that have one season left, and one with a summer tread that has time left.

I'm not seeing any major deal breakers for things I'd miss by moving to a new model.
Having a new (propulsion) battery is certainly the most important factor for getting a new EV.
And it seems that the 2021 Model 3 LR has a 82 kWh battery?

If you don't need the usability of having a hatchback or the 3rd row,
and the timing from getting a new set of tires
while still be able to continue using your winter tires with the new Model 3,
everything work toward getting a Model 3 versus a Model Y.

May be you still have the original 12 V battery, which migh be on its last leg, and something less to worry about.

Did you get the new 3.0 computer and do you have the Full FSD option, which was $3k at the time and $2k for a short time.
Having to pay $10k for FSD right now is a little steep, if you had FSD for much less.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Haven't seen it explicitly referenced here but the frunk size has been reduced due to addition of heat pump.

Also, I'm not sure which wheels you currently have but I love the 19" Wheels on my 2018 LR RWD but they've now been flattened out, which I'm guessing helps with aero, but makes them look a lot worse imo. The bright silver looks off with the newer black trim vs. against the chrome trim.

The 18" aeros caps look more refined and the wheels underneath them are the same design but more angular, which i think makes them look better. They also have a higher load rating, if that matters at all to you.

The HW3.0 will make sentry videos and camera quality a lot better. The video has a higher bitrate and is much smoother.

Looking at upgrading from my 2018 RWD LR to a new dual motor LR. I know there are some differences, but I want to know what else I'm missing.

Removed since 2018
- premium connectivity
- lumbar support
- radar
- wired phone charger
- free homelink

Added since 2018
- power trunk lid
- no more chrome
- heat pump
- sentry USB drive in glovebox
- Autopilot (didn't have it on my 2018)
- heated steering wheel

What am I missing that might make me regret making the change? My 2018 has been pretty solid for me...
Only thing I'd like for my 2018 is the heat pump...but not very much. Installed pop-up frunk & trunk (closing them is hardly a chore); love my chrome; USB in the glovebox, eh, ne care pas; same re autopilot (don't have it on my 2018) and could care less; heated steering wheel, I've still got my beautiful leather driving gloves which were less than $100. 🙃 I look at my blue 2018 M3 LR AWD the way people of yesteryear regarded the 1964/65 Mustang: A CLASSIC to keep forever. Fortunately, I'm old enough to keep my M3 forever and ever...and ever (my last car!) and know that it will be a CLASSIC long after I'm gone.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jet44
I got my used 2018 Model 3 for $35k LR-RWD in 2019. I got very lucky and have been blessed on getting it from tesla at such a good price. before people ask how i got it. There was a price error that glitched the whole system that priced a lot of the used cars almost 10k less. Part of me wants to get a new tesla just becase everything else is new in the car. Probelm is i dont have another car to use if i do sell my car. haha

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I got my used 2018 Model 3 for $35k LR-RWD in 2019. I got very lucky and have been blessed on getting it from tesla at such a good price. before people ask how i got it. There was a price error that glitched the whole system that priced a lot of the used cars almost 10k less. Part of me wants to get a new tesla just becase everything else is new in the car. Probelm is i dont have another car to use if i do sell my car. haha
Me too! That was insane. Got a 2018 LR RWD w/ $35.8k w/ 1.2k mi. Ended up around $40k w/ taxes.

I still can’t believe that I was able to snag it. I didn’t even ask my wife because I knew it was either too good to be true or the deal of a lifetime. Haha

I’m going to trade it in for a MYLR and make a healthy amount on it but it does make me sad to give up what was such a great deal. I’m also in the same situation as you with no other car to use but I want to make sure I take advantage of these elevated resale values to upgrade.

Reactions: shiftkenny
I'd consider a MY, but the fact that it's not available until April makes that less appealing. I'd either have to wait to sell my M3 and hope the car market hasn't cooled off, or sell now(ish) and figure out some way to get alternate transportation for 6 months.

Someone give me something to tell my wife to convince her she is tired of me talking about Tesla. She went through my youtube history and told me it was literally only just 1000's of Tesla videos
Has she taken a test drive yet? Every time I started talking Tesla she would ask “Can we please talk about something else besides Tesla?”

Then I took her on a test drive and she was literally giggling with joy. She doesn’t care about cars at all and she loved the thing. That made her a bit more…patient. Haha

EDIT: looks like you are just trying to convince your wife to upgrade. I also had this convo but the only way I was able to do it was by getting a MY.

Then I could tell her we were taking advantage of a once in a lifetime used car market to make a profit on our M3 and upgrade to more space, ground clearance and have even better resale value going forward since CUV/SUVs increasingly make up the majority of the US car market

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaf0052
Someone give me something to tell my wife to convince her she is tired of me talking about Tesla. She went through my youtube history and told me it was literally only just 1000's of Tesla videos

Convince her of what? Dont you already have a model 3, with some stuff you did to it? For some people, depending on when they bought their model 3, and which one, they can sell and buy a new one for not much (if anything) out of pocket additional.

That doesnt go for everyone though.

Been curious about a model Y or S. I have a late oct 2018 LR AWD Model 3 with 19 inch sports.

I now have FSD Beta 10.2 (with a couple other upgrades - MPP Sport Coilovers installed and Huper Optik Ceramic Tint all around).

Wondering... if I try to sell it, will the FSD beta transfer to the new owner?

And if so, what is a realistic pricing for 45k miles, accident free?

Yea lol she loves the car, we've had 4 cars in 5 years and with all the work on it (hitch install, tint, upgraded suspension, fsd beta 10.2.....) its like..... what's the point.

But I've driven a 21 M3P which was a magnitude or two quietier in terms of cabin noise. Also really interested in a MY for the extra space for sleeping during camping w/ dogs (and a tent, dogs stay in car). But really love the driving of the 3 with the sport coilovers

The Y is definitely quieter, as well it should be. It has the same glass and interior but taller tire sidewalls, softer suspension, cast rear chassis, and better closing/sealing doors. It does have bigger mirrors and an open rear cargo space, but at least the cargo space is fully upholstered unlike the bare metal trunk of the 3. There's even some sort of plastic life-raft thing on the Y's frunk lid that might be intended for sound deadening.

The front seats are shared between models - even the S and X use the exact same seats albeit with different upholstery (note the MS3XY label). So don't expect there to be any difference in the range of motion, but the Y seats do provide a vastly different seating position due to the elevated mounts.

Screenshot 2021-10-13 180615.png

• Informative
Reactions: Aaf0052