Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Drive Screen is Locked. Need Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a Chargepoint for the first time yesterday. Adapter worked fine and was charging at 30A for about 4 hours. BUT now my drive screen behind the wheel is locked and won't change. I did a reset with both scroll wheels and did a full power down via the main screen and waited 2-3 minutes (did this twice). Drove car home with drive screen locked. charged overnight via 110v and checked this morning. Screen IS STILL LOCKED. Photo attached for reference. Any ideas what to do here?

FYI, the chargepoint app would not work when i started charging the car. In my Tesla app, car started charging. Upon disconnecting, chargepoint app again was saying the car was not charging, but Tesla app still showed it charging. So, i stopped charged and unlocked charge port via the Tesla App. Perhaps there was an issued with the Chargepoint app showing the car as not charging and that caused this?

PXL_20220729_210410519_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Is that a camera artifact or is your screen melting?

As for the locked screen, there is the more aggressive reboot by removing the 12-volt battery battery connection for some set time, but I'm not sure of the exact protocol. Perhaps calling Tesla would be a place to begin: 877.798.3752

Or, perhaps a third scroll wheel reset will do the trick?

I did a reset with both scroll wheels
On older cars (like your RWD P85), the 2 screens are driven by separate computers. The scroll wheel reset only resets the main center screen. To reset the instrument cluster display (behind the steering wheel), press and hold the 2 buttons ABOVE the scroll wheels.

Perhaps there was an issued with the Chargepoint app showing the car as not charging and that caused this?
Not really. Chargepoint stations loose cell connectivity to the cloud all the time. The communication between the charge station and the car - J1772 - is really basic and not unique to Chargepoint.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
On older cars (like your RWD P85), the 2 screens are driven by separate computers. The scroll wheel reset only resets the main center screen. To reset the instrument cluster display (behind the steering wheel), press and hold the 2 buttons ABOVE the scroll wheels.

Not really. Chargepoint stations loose cell connectivity to the cloud all the time. The communication between the charge station and the car - J1772 - is really basic and not unique to Chargepoint.
Thank you! the reset holding the upper buttons above the scroll wheels while resetting did it! screen is back to normal.

Reactions: Rocky_H and tga