Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Fuse/Power Upgrade 80amp?, 100amp?, Confused.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing literally that is a nightmare, as an electrician can't do that without either working live (dangerous and therefore illegal per HSAWA/EAWA) or removing the main fuse, cutting the security seal (which only the DNO or those with delegated authority like meter operators are allowed to do).
Conversely, DNO/meter operators don't permit their staff to do work on customer-owned equipment like consumer units (because they would be assuming liability for stuff that they don't have any control over). So the legal way to do it is to arrange for DNO to remove the fuse, electrician to do the work, DNO to put the fuse back - a logistical nightmare.

The more practical option is to get an isolation switch fitted between the meter and consumer unit: now you have a clear split between your equipment and the supplier's, you can turn off the switch and work on everything you own on your side of it, and they can work on their side of it.

You can usually get this fitted by your supplier (who will probably contract their meter operator to do the job), at prices varying from free to substantial. Alternatively, having one in your back pocket when having other work done (like when a smartmeter is being fitted) and asking the fitter to wire it while they are on the job is usually a cheaper option.

Note that the above applies both to the situation where you need your tails upgrading for a 100A fuse and also for the case where you are splitting the tails to have a separate consumer unit for the EV charging and leave your existing consumer unit alone - the latter again needs work on the tails which can't be done safely without shutting off the power.

-----

As to the question of whether your tails need upgrading, that depends what main fuse sizes you are talking about. 16mm² tails (most common size) are good up to 80A (if exposed on a wall), so the upgrade from 60A to 80A fuse doesn't typically need the tails upgrading; however going to 100A main fuse does.

UKPN are keen on 100A fuses, so this is most likely to be the situation if you live in a UKPN area. Other DNOs are less keen on 100A fuses, and some won't go above 80A at all (insist that you upgrade to three-phase if you want more than 80A). So experience in one area doesn't necessarily apply to others.

This is mainly a problem if you want more than one chargepoint and/or electric showers. For a single chargepoint, most ordinary households will fit within 80A, and many would be OK with 60A. For cases where it is a problem, chargepoints that can do power management with a sensor in the incoming supply are the answer - Zappi, eVolt, and EO all offer this (and probably more that I haven't noticed).

That's really useful thanks.
Given I have no electric shower my gut feeling is that the (probably) free 80a upgrade that Western will give me should be adequate ( for now) If I can do that with 16mm tails even better.

I should maybe get Western in to survey for the 80amp fuse. Gonna be hard to explain to my wife though why I am having a survey done for an EV Charger though when she doesn't know yet that I have ordered a Tesla. Maybe next week.:eek:)

• Love
Reactions: Roy W.
Western Power upgraded my main fuse from 60 to 80 amps. No charge. The fuse housing would have needed to be changed at a cost of £150 if I wanted 100 amps but the Western Power chap advised me that would be unnecessary given we have no electric showers or heating.

EDF upgraded the meter tails to 25mm. Again, no charge. The cables between the meter and consumer unit were already 25mm so no issues there and in any case the home charger installer, Andersen, added a new dedicated consumer unit within the meter cabinet, which cost approx £150 over their standard installation.

Also, the Andersen installer confirmed that 80amps would be enough in my case so the charger is set up to charge at it’s full rate. As I’ll do the vast majority of my home charging between 00:30 and 04:30 anyway, I’m confident I’ll have no problem with the fuse rating.

That's really useful thanks.
Given I have no electric shower my gut feeling is that the (probably) free 80a upgrade that Western will give me should be adequate ( for now) If I can do that with 16mm tails even better.

I should maybe get Western in to survey for the 80amp fuse. Gonna be hard to explain to my wife though why I am having a survey done for an EV Charger though when she doesn't know yet that I have ordered a Tesla. Maybe next week.:eek:)

When Western Power upgraded my fuse from 60 to 80 amps the chap confirmed that with 80 amps it was definitely not necessary to upgrade the meter tails to 25mm. I only got that done because I’d already booked EDF to do it and it was free. Future proofing I suppose but not necessary as the existing 16mm tails would have sufficed.

Three Phase really is the way to go, but Western Power quoted me about £10k for the upgrade (plus Id have to get my own sparky to redo the consumer unit) so they suggested in upgrade to 100A instead.
Shame to be charging the car at 7Kw instead of 11 but it’s acceptable.

I thought I’d better check my supply as I intend to get an Andersen unit. I live in a fairly large house so I was confident I’d have at least 80A and more likely 100A. Imagine my surprise and delight when I found three big, fat 100A fuses! Yes, I have a three phase supply, so I’m going to order a 22KW charger. Horribly frustrating that the M3 only charges at 11KW, but at least I’m future proofing.

Reactions: gangzoom
I thought I’d better check my supply as I intend to get an Andersen unit. I live in a fairly large house so I was confident I’d have at least 80A and more likely 100A. Imagine my surprise and delight when I found three big, fat 100A fuses! Yes, I have a three phase supply, so I’m going to order a 22KW charger. Horribly frustrating that the M3 only charges at 11KW, but at least I’m future proofing.
How do you come to have three phase?

When you say large house - are we talking Buckingham Palace, Ma'am :)

When you say large house - are we talking Buckingham Palace, Ma'am :)

Not quite! It’s an old vicarage, and I think it used to be heated by electricity because originally there was no gas main nearby so it needed a robust electricity supply.

Attachments

• C847D4D8-BEB9-4073-BCB7-66BFF41FDAA8.jpeg
    C847D4D8-BEB9-4073-BCB7-66BFF41FDAA8.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 218
I thought I’d better check my supply as I intend to get an Andersen unit. I live in a fairly large house so I was confident I’d have at least 80A and more likely 100A. Imagine my surprise and delight when I found three big, fat 100A fuses! Yes, I have a three phase supply,

How does that work bill wise? Is there a premium on the bill, for example increased standing charge costs?

My usage pattern will be regular journeys of 150 miles rather than lots of short journeys and even if not still seems a bit of a waste not to maximise the benefits

Sure, if you do 150miles every day then that’s not going to work. If you do 150miles 2-3 times a week then 16a would be no great problem.

The ‘benefit’ of starting charging at 11pm and having it finish at 1am, verses 11pm to 3am at 16a are pretty minimal !

Remember, you won’t be charging from empty and you won’t usually be charging to 100%

No, there’s no increase in standing charge. There’s one meter and I just pay for what I use. I still can’t quite believe it :)

Apparently its done on the number of meters. Most seem to be single meter these days, so one MPAN, therefor one standing charge.

3 meters use to be common, one for each supply, so 3 standing charges, which is where I based my query on as my experience of 3 phase were in properties with 3 meters. Apparently this setup is quite unusual now.

I have a three phase supply, so I’m going to order a 22KW charger. Horribly frustrating that the M3 only charges at 11KW, but at least I’m future proofing.

"Horribly frustrating" ... really? Not an option on Model-S since 2016, it just isn't needed for all regular users, only other EV I can think of with 22kW charging is the Zoe - perhaps because 3-Phase domestic is common in EU. With increasing widespread DC charging it makes more sense to rely on that for most people in the scenario where they come home empty and needed to go out again as 22kW is unlikely to be fast enough in that instance

I can't see 22kW charging being a feature, going forwards, as manufacturers strive to drive the purchase price down, so personally I wouldn't bother installing 22kW charger.

"Horribly frustrating" ... really? Not an option on Model-S since 2016, it just isn't needed for all regular users, only other EV I can think of with 22kW charging is the Zoe - perhaps because 3-Phase domestic is common in EU. With increasing widespread DC charging it makes more sense to rely on that for most people in the scenario where they come home empty and needed to go out again as 22kW is unlikely to be fast enough in that instance

I can't see 22kW charging being a feature, going forwards, as manufacturers strive to drive the purchase price down, so personally I wouldn't bother installing 22kW charger.

We have 22kW chargers at work so I get to charge at 11kW there. I can charge my Model 3 SR+ from 20% to 90% in about 3.5 hours at 11kW. Whilst there's always going to be people with very unusual driving patterns, I think a full charge in 4-5 hours is more than good enough for home charging for 99% of people.

I'm waiting for my charger installation and on 3-pin right now, but once I have a charger even at "just" 7kW I'll be able to charge up to 90% every day while I sleep. Unless you're draining the battery more than once a day that's plenty, surely?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Imagine my surprise and delight when I found three big, fat 100A fuses! Yes, I have a three phase supply, so I’m going to order a 22KW charger. Horribly frustrating that the M3 only charges at 11KW, but at least I’m future proofing.

I had nearly the same, though we only have one phase 'active', the WesternPower guy who came to upgrade our fuse from 60 to 80amps pointed it out to me.

Am too cheap to pay for the additional work needed to fully 'activate' the other two phases, and apparently even with two 32amp chargers running at night our supply is fine, given we have no electric showers/cookers. However we are getting a PowerWall fitted, maybe two, so might need to upgrade to 100amp - or just go for 3 phase. X will charge at 17.5KW :).

Reactions: Roy W.