TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Main (middle) screen shut down during a charging session!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Peteybabes, Jul 20, 2017.

?

Has this ever happened to you?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, but not during a charge session

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

I was listening to music and using my phone while a grabbed a "quick" 40 miles or so of range and suddenly the main unit shut down and music and A/C quit...see the video below:

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I experience this once every 3 months, screen freezes and it reboots.

3. Lump

Lump Active Member

MCU has randomly rebooted at least 10 times over the last 4 years, we've come to expect strange things from our car.

4. Peteybabes

was this during a charge session or otherwise?

5. Peteybabes

wow, while charging? or just driving down the road? i'm interested as to what's happening.

6. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

Happened to me before while driving. Took it to SC and hasn't happened since.

7. David29

David29 Member

I clicked "yes," but as I recall, the screen rebooted once I opened the door. In other words, just sitting in the car during the charge did not keep the car "awake." But once I opened a door, it came alive. This was a year or so ago, so my memory of details is fuzzy.

8. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

I've experienced two reboots, both while driving. No big deal as it came right back.

9. Medpilot

Medpilot Member

3 months of ownership and 11,XXX miles, the only thing I've experienced is the media wouldn't play...couldn't get the radio/slacker to play at all. As soon as I put it in park, it starting playing normally.

Screen has been rock solid for me.

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

While driving on the road

11. Peteybabes

12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

This is odd. Usually, if it's just the UI app that crashed it restarts in seconds and it should not require you to manually reboot.

13. Peteybabes

it wouldn't even let me reboot...it was stuck.

it seemed to have a mind of it's own for about 3-5 minutes.

14. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

15. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It's entirely possible that it couldn't reboot while it was charging (eg software won't allow a restart due to requirement to monitor your charging). You would need to perform all sorts of experiments to verify and figure out why, but reproducing it may be difficult now.

Of course, there is probably some engineer at Tesla that would know why, but trying to find that person would be a challenge in itself.o_O

• Helpful x 1
  16. Peteybabes

thanks for this.

ok, so my car was parked in the heat all day, but i had turned on the app 10 minutes before i got in, to get the interior temp from 104-106 degrees down to 68. Once i jumped in everything was working fine, drove about 10 minutes of this DC Chademo Charger which is in an underground parking garage, (hence the cave like lighting in the video), where it was in the 70's temperature wise.

I had been charging for about 15 minutes when this system conked out...

17. David29

David29 Member

In nearly two years, I have had the center screen spontaneously reboot very few times (3 or 4 times, perhaps), and several other times it has required rebooting for one reason or another. And I have had the screen shut off while I was charging and in the car. As I mentioned above, I recall that the computer did not actually seem to be "off," it is just that the screen went dark after a few minutes of charging. All I had to do was to step on the brake or open the door and it came up again, not a reboot. I think it must have a time-out function if there is no activity even with a driver in the seat.
    Just this week I had to reboot the center screen because the audio would not play and navigation was unresponsive, after having the car parked for 20-25 minutes. Once rebooted, all was normal.

18. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

I've rebooted before while charging and it works. The gateway will remain powered to monitor the charging while the CID reboots.

Keep in mind that the heat and the fact that this happened to you while charging could be red herrings. It may not have had anything to do with these conditions.

What is concerning is that it took so long for your screen to respawn. While I have had this happen under various conditions in my car, it will restart with seconds to no more than a minute.

• Helpful x 1
  19. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Perfectly normal if energy saving is on. Just touch the screen and it comes back to life.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  20. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Um, not exactly. The CID should never sleep while you are in the car and charging.