Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main (middle) screen shut down during a charging session!

Has this ever happened to you?

• Yes

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Yes, but not during a charge session

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Peteybabes

redneck drivin' a tesla...
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2016
'murica
I was listening to music and using my phone while a grabbed a "quick" 40 miles or so of range and suddenly the main unit shut down and music and A/C quit...see the video below:

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
MCU has randomly rebooted at least 10 times over the last 4 years, we've come to expect strange things from our car.

David29

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I clicked "yes," but as I recall, the screen rebooted once I opened the door. In other words, just sitting in the car during the charge did not keep the car "awake." But once I opened a door, it came alive. This was a year or so ago, so my memory of details is fuzzy.

Medpilot

Apr 7, 2017
Phoenix
3 months of ownership and 11,XXX miles, the only thing I've experienced is the media wouldn't play...couldn't get the radio/slacker to play at all. As soon as I put it in park, it starting playing normally.

Screen has been rock solid for me.

Peteybabes

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2016
'murica
This is odd. Usually, if it's just the UI app that crashed it restarts in seconds and it should not require you to manually reboot.
it wouldn't even let me reboot...it was stuck.

it seemed to have a mind of it's own for about 3-5 minutes.

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
it wouldn't even let me reboot...it was stuck.

it seemed to have a mind of it's own for about 3-5 minutes.
It's entirely possible that it couldn't reboot while it was charging (eg software won't allow a restart due to requirement to monitor your charging). You would need to perform all sorts of experiments to verify and figure out why, but reproducing it may be difficult now.

Of course, there is probably some engineer at Tesla that would know why, but trying to find that person would be a challenge in itself.o_O

• Helpful
Reactions: Peteybabes

Peteybabes

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2016
'murica
thanks for this.

ok, so my car was parked in the heat all day, but i had turned on the app 10 minutes before i got in, to get the interior temp from 104-106 degrees down to 68. Once i jumped in everything was working fine, drove about 10 minutes of this DC Chademo Charger which is in an underground parking garage, (hence the cave like lighting in the video), where it was in the 70's temperature wise.

I had been charging for about 15 minutes when this system conked out...

David29

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
In nearly two years, I have had the center screen spontaneously reboot very few times (3 or 4 times, perhaps), and several other times it has required rebooting for one reason or another. And I have had the screen shut off while I was charging and in the car. As I mentioned above, I recall that the computer did not actually seem to be "off," it is just that the screen went dark after a few minutes of charging. All I had to do was to step on the brake or open the door and it came up again, not a reboot. I think it must have a time-out function if there is no activity even with a driver in the seat.
Just this week I had to reboot the center screen because the audio would not play and navigation was unresponsive, after having the car parked for 20-25 minutes. Once rebooted, all was normal.

apacheguy

S Sig #255
Oct 21, 2012
So Cal
It's entirely possible that it couldn't reboot while it was charging (eg software won't allow a restart due to requirement to monitor your charging). You would need to perform all sorts of experiments to verify and figure out why, but reproducing it may be difficult now.

Of course, there is probably some engineer at Tesla that would know why, but trying to find that person would be a challenge in itself.o_O

I've rebooted before while charging and it works. The gateway will remain powered to monitor the charging while the CID reboots.

thanks for this.

ok, so my car was parked in the heat all day, but i had turned on the app 10 minutes before i got in, to get the interior temp from 104-106 degrees down to 68. Once i jumped in everything was working fine, drove about 10 minutes of this DC Chademo Charger which is in an underground parking garage, (hence the cave like lighting in the video), where it was in the 70's temperature wise.

I had been charging for about 15 minutes when this system conked out...

Keep in mind that the heat and the fact that this happened to you while charging could be red herrings. It may not have had anything to do with these conditions.

What is concerning is that it took so long for your screen to respawn. While I have had this happen under various conditions in my car, it will restart with seconds to no more than a minute.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC