TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Main pack connectors not closing fully

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by iridium, Dec 17, 2014.

1. iridium

iridium Member

I recently went through an issue with my 12v battery (see Stranded at Snowbowl). While the car was at the service center they pulled out the main pack because the connectors were not opening and closing fully. This was explained to me that the main current carry connectors open and close when the car is on/off and they can get so hot they don't operate correctly.

The service center fixed the issue and all is well, but can anyone explain these more, how they work, etc? I'm just curious.

Interestingly, after the repair my car has several more miles of rated range at full charge.

2. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

The contactors are like a giant relay that connects the high voltage only when the car is in operation, or charging, for safety reasons.

Most likely, the extra rated range is because the battery was disconnected and reconnected, so the car is back in a recalibration phase, so the actual capacity likely stayed the same, so it may have either been reading too low before, or it may be too high now.

Was this repair done entirely at the SC? You kept your same battery pack, it was just serviced?

3. tezco

tezco Sig P85

#3 tezco, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    This is interesting. I thought that the SC's always sent packs that had contactor issues back to the factory. Looking at Inside the Battery Pack, it looks like one has to peel off the metal cover to get to them. I wonder if newer packs have an easier pathway for access?

4. iridium

iridium Member

My pack was serviced at the service center (Scottsdale). They told me not all SCs are certified for this work, and other ones would need to send the pack back to the factory.

The car definitely feels peppier.. probably just my imagination though. :)

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

this was discussed in another thread somewhere but yes, service centers are being trained/upgraded and now opening packs and repairing them on site instead of sending them back to the factory.

6. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

@iridium - How many miles does your MS have?

7. tezco

tezco Sig P85

Yes, here. Too many threads, too little time... I wonder if they will recall any of the Sig A packs since those have had some issues, if I recall correctly.

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Indeed. I count 14 issues with TMC Sigs:

Main Battery Replacement

Seems fairly high considering that most Sigs are not active members of TMC or don't post their pack failures here.

9. iridium

iridium Member

@apacheguy about 26k miles