TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

main screen dead this morn - cold weather?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hemants, Nov 10, 2015.

1. hemants

hemants Member

Main screen was dead this morn. So no climate control or connectivity.

Called tesla support they suggested a full reboot and still nothing.

That was 7 am.

Went in car again at 9:30 and main screen wad back.

Could it be cold weather?

Any deeper reboot than holding down scroll wheels?

No heat when it's 2 degrees is no fun!

2. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Never had such an issue in the past. And I was parking my car outdoor everyday during last winter. It could be an issue that happened once and might not happen again.

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

There are two ways to reboot, and you can try them both. One uses the top buttons, one above the left scroll wheel, and one above the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Hold those down for up to 30 seconds, until you see the screen reinitialize. The other method is what you used with the two scroll wheels to the left and right on the steering wheel. After the first screen reinitializes, afterward hold the scroll wheels down for up to 30 seconds.

4. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I had the same thing yesterday; when I reset with the scroll wheel buttons nothing happened, but when I did the reset with the lower two buttons (one on each side, 10 seconds) it rebooted fine. Have you tried that?

5. hemants

hemants Member

Yes did that. It only reset the speedo screen

6. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I'm sorry to hear that. For a temporary fix, does it work to set your steering wheel buttons to control the heating?

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Definitely not cold related. Those screens work just fine when cold soaked below -30C. You don't need to ask me how I know this...

Just a random failure, I'm afraid. (It happened to me, a couple of months after I got the car.) You should be able to use the thumbwheel to turn on the heat. Or the remote App!

8. hemants

hemants Member

Neither worked for climate when screen was down. Even customer support said I was off grid.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay so the computer itself is down. When mine died it was the screen, not the computer.

Luck of the draw, I'm afraid. Hope they can fix it quickly. And at least it isn't January!