Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Screen keeps rebooting by itself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue today with my classic Model S.

Just to clarify though, I wouldn't classify these as full reboots. The screen certainly re-launched, but it took no where near as long as a button-press reboot. Moreover, Bluetooth seemed to connect again within seconds -- definitely not the case with typical reboots.

Fwiw, I also experienced crazy frustration with voice control last night -- it basically never heard me correctly. Last night, I chalked it up to server issues.

I wonder if the 2 server side problems are related.

One time, I got in my car, and once my phone paired with the BT in the car, the car automatically initiated a call to my own cell phone. The screen on the phone did not show this call, and pressing "end call" on the Tesla screen did nothing. I rebooted once, and it happened again. Then I turned BT off on the phone and rebooted the Tesla, and that fixed it. It was pretty embarrassing

Just in case you are unaware, this is the exact behavior you will see if your phone sends a BT interrupt to the car to play an alert (like, in my case, when Waze interrupts my music to give me an alert). From the car's perspective, it appears like a call to your own phone. I am not saying this is actually what happened to you, but just that you may see this type of behavior in a "normal" situation.

I had this problem during this morning's drive (about 30 to 45 mins) to an appointment. After the appointment, not one reboot on the same (but reverse) drive home. This morning was the first time I ever experienced this problem. It is a bit unnerving to see the screen reboot while cruising down the hiway at 70+ MPH...

Just in case you are unaware, this is the exact behavior you will see if your phone sends a BT interrupt to the car to play an alert (like, in my case, when Waze interrupts my music to give me an alert). From the car's perspective, it appears like a call to your own phone. I am not saying this is actually what happened to you, but just that you may see this type of behavior in a "normal" situation.
I did not know that. I don't think it is related to the behavior I saw, but it is interesting nonetheless. There was literally nothing going on with my phone or my car that would have been sending an alert. The only reason I noticed it is that there was no music playing because the phone app thought it was on a call.

Reactions: Cyclone
I've had absolutely no issues with the spontaneously rebooting center console until today.

For whatever reason the center console rebooted all by itself 3 different times on the 25 min drive into work today. I've had version 8.0 on my car since shortly after the release.

Here is the sequence of events (as related to the center console)

Get in the car
turn on the heated steering wheel
turn on the heated seats to level 2
turn on the rear defroster
change the slacker station from the 80's to Jackson station
start driving
turn on the front defroster
drive for 3-5 minutes

see the center console rebooting. When the center console came back the slacker station was now the 80's, and the heated steering was off. The seat heater was still on, but I believe the rear defroster was off.

changed station back to the Jackson station
turn the heater steering wheel back on
turn the defroster back on (at least I remember so)
drive for 3-5 minutes

see the center console rebooting again.

changed the station back to the Jackson station
drive for 3-5 minutes

see the center console rebooting again

drive for the rest of the commute into work (10-15) without any reboot.

Conclusion - The car desperately wanted to listen to the 80's, and apparently rebooting the center console was the only way it could do it.

• Funny
Reactions: DavidP100DL
I have experienced this unprovoked rebooting as well... seems like a new update is going out in large numbers this past week... will wait to get my update and see if it fixes the problem. Have not seen anything on the boards here about that.

Yep, I had the constant rebooting also. I remembered from TMC that the last one was due to wonky nav info (I think) so I put the nav away (music and power use instead) and that stopped the reboots. Could have been a coincidence though.

I talked to tech support. They had an issue this morning in the main Tesla servers which were triggering a restart each time a car would connect to the Tesla servers .. The engineers were able to resolve and now all is ok again..

Good to know. On my 30-minute drive to work today around 7:30a pst, I had maybe 10 reboots (lost count), but 0 around lunchtime and 0 on the way back home. Weird stuff.

I had two yesterday while driving and today the vehicle said it was starting up and to press the brake when the message disappeared. The main display was blank until a reboot and the mirrors did not unfold. I had to get out, walk away, and walk back then everything returned to normal. The screen was blank when getting in a few hours later, nothing a reboot didn't fix though.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I talked to tech support. They had an issue this morning in the main Tesla servers which were triggering a restart each time a car would connect to the Tesla servers .. The engineers were able to resolve and now all is ok again..

After going through that issue a few times and then reading it was resolved, i was surprised and a bit disappointed that an unexpected screen reboot occurred this past Sunday (October 16) as we were traveling on Interstate 93 in New Hampshire. My spouse was driving and stayed cool, fortunately (she has only recently begun driving the car and is still a bit nervous about it). We had driven about 300-400 miles over the weekend before this, with no issues.
One difference from previous reboots that I experienced before 8.0 is that the navigation did not successfully reset. In the past, before 8.0, if the screen rebooted when the navigation was on, it would resume the same trip after the reboot. But this time it did not. It was not a problem, we knew where we were and so on, but I wanted to note it in case it is significant to other folks.