Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main screen map; how to get your position centered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched the archives for this subject, but did not find it. Maybe someone here can help?

I know that when you choose a destination the main screen map resizes such that you can see your location and the destination and it continues to re-size as you near the destination.

When no destination is in place though, how can I get it to center on the arrowhead indicator of the car's present location? It just stays at the view of the last destination search even if the car's present location is miles off the edge of the screen somewhere.

Tesla-Model-S-Firmware-5-6-One-Touch-Nav.jpg

Hit the small square button to the right of the search bar. It will toggle between "north up", "car direction up", and "trip". It's right above "cancel search" in the picture.

At the top of the map screen to the right of centre there is a button. It's a toggle between free form (when it's grey), north is up (arrow points up and blue), car points up (conical shape and blue), and (road icon and blue) [I've never tried to figure out what this last one actually does]. Any of the blue ones will centre the car on the screen.

Not to drag us off topic, but I really wish I could move the "center" position of my vehicle icon yet still retain the automatic updating. As it is with my car always in the center, a significant portion of the map shows an area that's not relevant to my direction of travel. I'd like to see more of my upcoming path without sacrificing auto-updating.

A simple implementation would be to allow one to touch and drag the car's icon to a new position, rather than scrolling the map itself. Doing the former would re-position the car while retaining map updating and doing the latter would retain the current behavior.

Not to drag us off topic, but I really wish I could move the "center" position of my vehicle icon yet still retain the automatic updating. As it is with my car always in the center, a significant portion of the map shows an area that's not relevant to my direction of travel. I'd like to see more of my upcoming path without sacrificing auto-updating.

A simple implementation would be to allow one to touch and drag the car's icon to a new position, rather than scrolling the map itself. Doing the former would re-position the car while retaining map updating and doing the latter would retain the current behavior.

I know you know that you can drag the map, down if you wish, to show other areas. Then you watch the red arrow drive into that area (up, for me) until it's about center, then drag again. Yeah, I know you want it automatic. But you're right. When your car is driving UP, why can't the map put the car further down on the map, like 3/4 or so. Then you can see more of where you're going than where you've been.

Ask Tesla to do that. It's actually a good idea. They take requests, you know.