Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main screen not turning on, mirrors not retracting, owner out of town.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I had to leave town for a few weeks and rather than have the car sit in the driveway I gave it to my dad, who currently drives a Lexus RX (someone should enjoy it if I'm not going to)
He calls me up last night from work telling me the main screen is not turning on, heater is off, and the mirrors will not unfold.
I told him to reset the "system" by pressing and holding the scroll wheels, he did and the dash reset but the main screen still would not turn on and mirrors remained folded in.
He had to drive home as is.
He says its driving fine otherwise

I tried connecting to it via the app but I'm always stuck on the car is waking up roundabout, until I get a failed to connect signal.
Tried connecting this morning, same thing, stuck on the roundabout

Is the main screen dead? Is there another way of resetting I'm unaware of besides the scroll wheels?

I won't be back in town until February 7th.

I believe a press and hold of the upper buttons on the steering wheel (the ones above the jog dials) does a different type of reset. Could try that too. Could also check fuse panel.
buttons above the scroll wheels?
The one on the right is voice command, the left one skips songs, if I'm remembering correctly.
He definitely won't want to mess with internal parts such as fuses

Tesla North America Tech Support is available 7x24x365. IIRC it's Option 2 off the same number you would call for roadside assistance (877) 798-3752 -- that number is the one to call though.

This I was unaware of, thank you!

Update: I spoke to my dad earlier and he said everything is working fine, screen came on when he got in the car, mirrors unfolded.
All is well! Thank you all for the suggestions!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, those buttons. Press and hold for several seconds and should get a reset of some sort.
I did not know that! Thank you!

Tesla North America Tech Support is available 7x24x365. IIRC it's Option 2 off the same number you would call for roadside assistance (877) 798-3752 -- that number is the one to call though.

Yes, good number to call for anything Tesla. When I was on my weekend demo ride, I had a question after hours, and they were quite helpful. 24x7x365 service is great!

I had to leave town for a few weeks and rather than have the car sit in the driveway I gave it to my dad, who currently drives a Lexus RX (someone should enjoy it if I'm not going to)
He calls me up last night from work telling me the main screen is not turning on, heater is off, and the mirrors will not unfold.
I told him to reset the "system" by pressing and holding the scroll wheels, he did and the dash reset but the main screen still would not turn on and mirrors remained folded in.
He had to drive home as is.
He says its driving fine otherwise

I tried connecting to it via the app but I'm always stuck on the car is waking up roundabout, until I get a failed to connect signal.
Tried connecting this morning, same thing, stuck on the roundabout

Is the main screen dead? Is there another way of resetting I'm unaware of besides the scroll wheels?

I won't be back in town until February 7th.

I had this happen to my P85D. There's a long story but in the final chapter they needed to replace the computer system. I know of at least one other instance of exactly the same issue and same remedy. I don't know if it's relevant, but both cars were very early AP (very late 2014) models.

This exact same thing happened to me last week. Very bizarre and unsettling.

I was leaving a haircut appointment and hopped in. Pressing the brake, I got the error message "Systems powering up. Press brake when this message clears" or something similar. I let it sit like that for a good 2-3 minutes. I went ahead and pressed the brake and the message left, but the mirrors did not fold out and the main screen did not turn on. So I backed out careful to look behind me and put it in drive (or I think I did). Then it switched to N as I was pulling out of the parking lot. Looking back, its quite possible I never got it all the way into drive. But still, I had to drive back to my office with the mirrors folded in and the main screen not on. A main screen reboot did nothing.

I parked it and let it sit for a while. I came back out about 30 minutes later and it booted right up with no problems and it hasn't occurred since. If it happens again, I'll call the service center.

For future reference. Holding the central scroll wheels does a touchscreen reboot. Holding the top buttons above the scroll wheels cause a driver console reboot. Be aware that you have to hold them down for about 10 seconds, so it feels at first like nothing's happening. Keep holding and it'll reboot.

There's actually another one yet... stop the car (if needed), push the brake down all the way to the floor... then hold the scroll wheels both for 45 seconds. That's a "hard" reboot for the center console. I've had the soft reboot (scroll wheels for 15s) start the reboot, but never came back up (as described above). Enter and exit, you get that systems-are-starting message. The brake-hold version cures that. The startup "T" logo can sometimes take a little longer, after the reboot actually starts, so if 45s doesn't do it, be patient and give it to a min-15 or so.I had to do this a LOT after v7, but after the summon release, I can't remember having to do it once FWIW.

This morning about 7:05am PST the center console and instrument cluster were in the process of switching from night mode to day mode (sunrise and sunset time?) and the IC was white across all 3 virtual lanes. Doing the IC reset fixed the graphics glitch. It was still working properly but it was annoying to see. Another time I had the right side scroll wheel menu screen not time out and it just stayed there. I was able to fix it by just holding down that scroll wheel until the app screen show up. I believe both of these glitches occurred on 7.1.