Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine: Efficiency Maine Chargers (VW Money)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
The final CHAdeMO/CCS chargers funded by VW's Evil, with monies distributed through Efficiency Maine.

The additional CHAdeMO in Belfast, Ellsworth, Lewiston and Auburn might be of interest to Tesla owners.

Efficiency Maine said:
Under the terms of the awards, two high-speed chargers, each at least 50 kW in capacity and universally accessible (offering both CHAdeMO and CCS plugs), will be installed over the next year at each of the following businesses:

Hannaford Supermarket, High St., Ellsworth (project owned by Revision Energy)
Hannaford Supermarket, Lincolnville Ave., Belfast (project owned by Revision Energy)
Irving Oil, Odlin Rd., Bangor
Irving Oil, Moosehead Trail, Newport
Irving Oil, Center St., Fairfield Incorrect: it's Center Road. It's I-95 exit 132.
Irving Oil, Washington St., Auburn
Petronino Corp. (On the Way), Lisbon St., Lewiston

No mention of power. If they're just the "50kW" and "62.5kW" chargers installed previously, they're still limited for non-Tesla owners and can't even max out the Koreans.

We have a Kona EV, but given where we live and the driving we do, these probably wouldn't be of much use to us. But, it's always nice to have some back-up in case we ever have a long outage.

Also, we are thinking of going on vacation again to Prince Edward Island next year, and if we took the Kona we might have need of be able to use one of these charger on our way between Bangor and Fairfield on the return.

(Aside; from April, an article that mentioned the final installation in Windham from the previous round: Efficiency Maine Completes First Stage of Statewide Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Network, Continues Expansion Efforts)

Thanks for the update. It will useful for me coming back from Acadia and Down East.

Any idea on when? I didn't see any info in the link, but maybe I read too fast.

It says "within the next year" in the article.

The RFP is here.

There's no hard date for completion, but

Page 3:
Efficiency Maine RFP said:
Anticipated Award Date May 12, 2021
Anticipated Contractor Start June 15, 2021

Notice of award was posted May 14, 2021 and updated June 1st, 2021.

Page 7:
Efficiency Maine RFP said:
A third objective is to select proposals that have a high likelihood of being completed within one year and sustain operations in the proposed location well beyond the 5-year term
of this contract.

(my bold)

So, maybe all ready for summer 2022.

The final CHAdeMO/CCS chargers funded by VW's Evil, with monies distributed through Efficiency Maine.

The additional CHAdeMO in Belfast, Ellsworth, Lewiston and Auburn might be of interest to Tesla owners.

No mention of power. If they're just the "50kW" and "62.5kW" chargers installed previously, they're still limited for non-Tesla owners and can't even max out the Koreans.

We have a Kona EV, but given where we live and the driving we do, these probably wouldn't be of much use to us. But, it's always nice to have some back-up in case we ever have a long outage.

Also, we are thinking of going on vacation again to Prince Edward Island next year, and if we took the Kona we might have need of be able to use one of these charger on our way between Bangor and Fairfield on the return.

(Aside; from April, an article that mentioned the final installation in Windham from the previous round: Efficiency Maine Completes First Stage of Statewide Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Network, Continues Expansion Efforts)
That is great news! We really need the one in Ellsworth to access MDI. I hope that it ends up with a 150kW or better CCS1. For now, we can use the CHAdeMO port, Tesla is supposed to ship the CCS1 adapter for South Korea this summer.

Its a shame Tesla does not have a Superchager in Lewiston/Auburn yet. I think the region gets so overlooked because its still 2 cities even though its really just one area of ~60,000 people.

I’ve seen some of the other chargers they put in under this program and they are underwelming to say the least.

Reactions: kayak1
Went to Maine on Saturday, I wouldn't want to take a CCS car there. Next to the Superchargers in Kennebunk they have a single ChargePoint 62KW charger and a J1772. Next to the Portland Supercharger there is a single 62KW EVGO. Nobody was plugged into any of them. Curiously the J1772s at the Kennebunk Service plazas were all occupied with plugins, Prius's and Pacifica's. Doesn't seem like it would be would be worthwhile to plug into a J1772 at a service plaza, how much range could you get in the time it takes to go to the bathroom. When I had a Volt I'd plug in when I went to the opera in Boston but opera's are three hours long which when combined with dinner was enough time to fully charge a Volt.

BTW the Portland Supercharger has become our new dining spot because we won't eat in a restaurant. We picked up dim sum from Golden Lotus and ate it while charging. Portland has the best Dim Sum in New England. Usually we get it from Empire but Golden Lotus has turned out to be just as good and they have a larger selection, the soup dumpling was our favorite.

One final thing, an A-hole in a Ram was ICEing one of the Superchargers. It was clearly deliberate because the lot was fairly empty and the Superchargers are far from the building. I posted his picture on Google Maps but there is no way to put a label in those photos, I wanted to put the A-hole label on him. So here he is.

Attachments

• 2022-02-12 11.09.52.jpg
    2022-02-12 11.09.52.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 2022-02-12 11.09.06.jpg
    2022-02-12 11.09.06.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 65
Went to Maine on Saturday, I wouldn't want to take a CCS car there. Next to the Superchargers in Kennebunk they have a single ChargePoint 62KW charger and a J1772. Next to the Portland Supercharger there is a single 62KW EVGO. Nobody was plugged into any of them. Curiously the J1772s at the Kennebunk Service plazas were all occupied with plugins, Prius's and Pacifica's. Doesn't seem like it would be would be worthwhile to plug into a J1772 at a service plaza, how much range could you get in the time it takes to go to the bathroom. When I had a Volt I'd plug in when I went to the opera in Boston but opera's are three hours long which when combined with dinner was enough time to fully charge a Volt.

BTW the Portland Supercharger has become our new dining spot because we won't eat in a restaurant. We picked up dim sum from Golden Lotus and ate it while charging. Portland has the best Dim Sum in New England. Usually we get it from Empire but Golden Lotus has turned out to be just as good and they have a larger selection, the soup dumpling was our favorite.

One final thing, an A-hole in a Ram was ICEing one of the Superchargers. It was clearly deliberate because the lot was fairly empty and the Superchargers are far from the building. I posted his picture on Google Maps but there is no way to put a label in those photos, I wanted to put the A-hole label on him. So here he is.

Nice I will see about a trip to Golden Lotus this week, we have never been.

When we took our model Y to get PPF I had used the Chadamo pugs in Kennebunk south and then again north to charge our Leaf.

Nice I will see about a trip to Golden Lotus this week, we have never been.

When we took our model Y to get PPF I had used the Chadamo pugs in Kennebunk south and then again north to charge our Leaf.
Below are the soup dumplings, the lobster dumplings and the duck buns

Attachments

• 2022-02-12 12.14.17.jpg
    2022-02-12 12.14.17.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2022-02-12 12.24.59.jpg
    2022-02-12 12.24.59.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 2022-02-12 12.30.14.jpg
    2022-02-12 12.30.14.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 60
Below are the soup dumplings, the lobster dumplings and the duck buns
I test dim sum, based on the Har Gow. I will also order the duck buns.

I am still in lobster overload from a couple of years back... (We live within walking distance from a lobster co-op, to where lobster was 1/4 of the price of chicken the other summer.) We had a lot of visitors and way too much lobster.

I test dim sum, based on the Har Gow. I will also order the duck buns.

I am still in lobster overload from a couple of years back... (We live within walking distance from a lobster co-op, to where lobster was 1/4 of the price of chicken the other summer.) We had a lot of visitors and way too much lobster.
The har gow is below.

Attachments

• 2022-02-12 12.28.22.jpg
    2022-02-12 12.28.22.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Love
Reactions: kayak1