Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine: Efficiency Maine Chargers (VW Money)

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
The final CHAdeMO/CCS chargers funded by VW's Evil, with monies distributed through Efficiency Maine.

The additional CHAdeMO in Belfast, Ellsworth, Lewiston and Auburn might be of interest to Tesla owners.

Efficiency Maine said:
Under the terms of the awards, two high-speed chargers, each at least 50 kW in capacity and universally accessible (offering both CHAdeMO and CCS plugs), will be installed over the next year at each of the following businesses:

Hannaford Supermarket, High St., Ellsworth (project owned by Revision Energy)
Hannaford Supermarket, Lincolnville Ave., Belfast (project owned by Revision Energy)
Irving Oil, Odlin Rd., Bangor
Irving Oil, Moosehead Trail, Newport
Irving Oil, Center St., Fairfield Incorrect: it's Center Road. It's I-95 exit 132.
Irving Oil, Washington St., Auburn
Petronino Corp. (On the Way), Lisbon St., Lewiston

No mention of power. If they're just the "50kW" and "62.5kW" chargers installed previously, they're still limited for non-Tesla owners and can't even max out the Koreans.

We have a Kona EV, but given where we live and the driving we do, these probably wouldn't be of much use to us. But, it's always nice to have some back-up in case we ever have a long outage.

Also, we are thinking of going on vacation again to Prince Edward Island next year, and if we took the Kona we might have need of be able to use one of these charger on our way between Bangor and Fairfield on the return.

(Aside; from April, an article that mentioned the final installation in Windham from the previous round: Efficiency Maine Completes First Stage of Statewide Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Network, Continues Expansion Efforts)

doghousePVD

My grandfather’s car
Dec 3, 2018
New England, USA
Thanks for the update. It will useful for me coming back from Acadia and Down East.

Any idea on when? I didn't see any info in the link, but maybe I read too fast.

Last edited:

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Thanks for the update. It will useful for me coming back from Acadia and Down East.

Any idea on when? I didn't see any info in the link, but maybe I read too fast.

It says "within the next year" in the article.

The RFP is here.

There's no hard date for completion, but

Page 3:
Efficiency Maine RFP said:
Anticipated Award Date May 12, 2021
Anticipated Contractor Start June 15, 2021

Notice of award was posted May 14, 2021 and updated June 1st, 2021.

Page 7:
Efficiency Maine RFP said:
A third objective is to select proposals that have a high likelihood of being completed within one year and sustain operations in the proposed location well beyond the 5-year term
of this contract.

(my bold)

So, maybe all ready for summer 2022.

kayak1

Jan 21, 2020
USA, The great state of Maine
The final CHAdeMO/CCS chargers funded by VW's Evil, with monies distributed through Efficiency Maine.

The additional CHAdeMO in Belfast, Ellsworth, Lewiston and Auburn might be of interest to Tesla owners.

No mention of power. If they're just the "50kW" and "62.5kW" chargers installed previously, they're still limited for non-Tesla owners and can't even max out the Koreans.

We have a Kona EV, but given where we live and the driving we do, these probably wouldn't be of much use to us. But, it's always nice to have some back-up in case we ever have a long outage.

Also, we are thinking of going on vacation again to Prince Edward Island next year, and if we took the Kona we might have need of be able to use one of these charger on our way between Bangor and Fairfield on the return.

(Aside; from April, an article that mentioned the final installation in Windham from the previous round: Efficiency Maine Completes First Stage of Statewide Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Network, Continues Expansion Efforts)
That is great news! We really need the one in Ellsworth to access MDI. I hope that it ends up with a 150kW or better CCS1. For now, we can use the CHAdeMO port, Tesla is supposed to ship the CCS1 adapter for South Korea this summer.

RiverBrick

Mar 23, 2014
Mount Washington Valley
In the original plan published in 2018, there was to be a unit on US 302, but it appears that has been permanently shelved. First, Naples didn't want to give up parking space, then Bridgton was lukewarm at best to the idea of being a host. Too bad.