TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Maine EV Legislation

Discussion in 'New England' started by Robert.Boston, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Maine is so much smaller than any other states in which I've lived that I've started writing to government officials about things I care about, including EVs. Surprisingly one gets real answers back. Here are two:

2. LMB

LMB Member

(LMB spouse)

Nice touch with the L.L. Bean example! Thanks.

3. tga

tga Active Member

Very well written Robert. Speaking of L.L. Bean, Freeport could use some destination charging.

4. sbanks

sbanks Member

I've been in email communication with someone at L.L. Bean about just this. He runs a committee responsible for such things. He seemed interested but needed to run it through the committee.

I'll keep you all posted.

5. voltinme

voltinme Member

I am happy to hear others are passionate on these topics. I to have sent emails to the state to consider the benefits of EVs, charging station and the hopeful consideration the State of Maine would allow direct-to-consumer sales. It would be great to have Tesla open a store in the state.

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Welcome to the forums, @voltinme. Given our state's demographics, I'm sure it's not high on Tesla's store wish-list currently, but once the Model 3 is available, that should change. Let's work to see the "open for business" sign apply to Tesla, too.

It seems to me that we will have more success on the local level. Portland is much more forward-thinking than most of the rest of the state; it already installed a public charge point in the Elm Street garage, which at least opens the door to more. For example, the city could adopt a policy that plug-in vehicles will be purchased if available for the work required. Leafs and Volts could meet nearly all the requirements of city-owned cars. Then the city will need to install charge points at city facilities (including schools) to support these vehicles, which will also encourage city employees to buy their own EVs. Virtuous circle...

I'm new in Portland and don't have a network into the city council yet. If others do, let's coordinate on an approach.

7. tmac

tmac Member

Well said Robert in Portland formerly known as the Robert the artist in Boston;)

South Portland has bought or leased a few Leafs though the CMP program I think so there is precedent and hopefully someone keeping track of the money saved on fuel oil change sets by going all electric. Lessons learned can be transferred over the bridge.

The health improvements from all electric charging is also important to note as we get into cold dense air trapping all the exhaust at nostril level.

It it is really astounding the number of benefits EV offer to us
    1) cost of operation, maintenance
    2) energy independence when paired with on site solar or Canadian Hydro(really they are very friendly)
    3) clean air ground source pollution improvements
    4) auxiliary power sources
    5) vehicle to grid possibility, store cheap night wind power , sell back 5 10 or 15 percent of your KW at peak prices
    the list goes on and on.....

regarding politics you will find Rep Russell to be very helpful.
    i think she co-introduced a very nice solar bill last session.