Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine EV Legislation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
Maine is so much smaller than any other states in which I've lived that I've started writing to government officials about things I care about, including EVs. Surprisingly one gets real answers back. Here are two:
Current law in Maine does not contemplate EV charging stations. Therefore, there may be an issue with the sale of electricity through EV charging stations. However, it is the Maine PUC's understanding that legislation will be introduced during the upcoming legislation session that will address the matter.

Mitch Tannenbaum
Maine PUC

I have recently moved to Maine, bringing with me my electric vehicle. As I talk to businesses about installing charging equipment, I have heard some concern and/or confusion about whether they could charge for the electricity, a common practice in other states. In particular, some business owners are concerned that collecting any fee would make them electric utilities and subject to PUC oversight.

Other states have rightly taken the view that the resale of power for the exclusive purpose of charging an EV is not a regulated activity. EV charging is not a monopoly service, and in areas where EVs are more common, there are robust, competing networks offering a variety of (unregulated) prices.

I am writing to understand what the PUC's position is on this subject. Furthermore, if there is a change in law required to remove EV charging equipment from Electric Facilities regulated by the PUC, I would encourage the Commission to propose an appropriate amendment.
Dear Governor LePage, Senator Haskell, and Representative Russell,

At a time when Maine is working hard to attract businesses to the state, it is distressing that our laws bar some companies with innovative business models. Customers, not laws, should decide how they want to buy products and with whom they want to conduct business.

Tesla Motors, an auto manufacturer based in California, is one such company. By adopting a direct-to-consumer model, Tesla can spend enough time with customers to ensure they understand their innovative all-electric cars, and it can maintain a consistently high level of customer care across all of its stores and service centers globally. I have personally been a customer of the company since March 2010, and I have never been treated as well by any franchised car dealer. Tesla's cars are outstanding examples of American engineering, winning numerous industry awards and the highest rating ever given to a car by Consumers Report. As all-electric vehicles, Tesla's cars help to improve air quality and reduce reliance on imported fuels.

Notwithstanding the merits of the company, Maine law bars Tesla from opening a store here. In particular, Maine's automobile dealer licensing law (Title 29-A, Chapter 9) defines a "new vehicle dealer" so as to require that the dealer "has a franchise from a distributor or manufacturer." (Subchapter 1, Section 851.9). And only a "dealer" can apply for a license. (Subchapter 2, Section 901). So, no franchise, no license. This definition therefore excludes the possibility of an automobile manufacturer from selling cars directly to customers, which is the cornerstone of Tesla's retail strategy.

This restriction is nearly unique to the auto industry. There is no law, for example, prohibiting L.L. Bean from selling clothes and gear direct; indeed, the onlyplace to buy L.L. Bean products is from L.L. Bean. Competition from other clothiers and suppliers protects customers from monopoly pricing, and the desire to win repeat business ensures that L.L. Bean's customer care is second to none. This direct-to-consumers business model is what many customers have come to expect: Apple, Dell Computers, Kenmore appliances, ... the list goes on almost without limit. Why, then, prohibit direct-to-consumer sales of automobiles?

Restricting trade can be justified to protect of health and safety. For example, pharmacists must be licensed by the state to ensure they have proper training to dispense medicines. There is no colorable argument, however, that an auto manufacturer selling directly to a customer creates any health or safety issue, provided that the manufacturer is held to the same standards as any other licensed dealer. Auto dealerships have not been in the front ranks advocating to force auto manufacturers to address safety issues on their vehicles. Quite the opposite, it was only direct lawsuits by those killed by poor GM engineering that forced the massive safety recalls; dealers have been slow to install retrofits that could save lives.

Nor can this restriction on direct car sales be justified based on protecting consumers. Quite the opposite. Officials at the Federal Trade Commission have spoken out about the potentially harmful consequences of the dealers’ anti-competitive behavior, saying “competition ultimately provides the best protections for consumers.” Leading economists have also weighed in, saying dealer monopolies come “at the expense of consumers and innovative technologies.”

Maine can send an "open for business" message by striking this unreasonable restraint of commerce from our statutes. Existing franchisees will, of course, object, seeking to continue their monopoly on new car sales. These franchisees have some legitimate claim that they have invested over the years to build up not only their brand but the brand of the franchisor. In the case of a new automaker, like Tesla, that has no existing franchisees, this argument is moot. A carefully considered change to the definition of "new car dealer" (Title 29-A, Chapter 9, Section 851.9) could preserve the existing dealerships while opening the door to a new business model for new companies. In particular, this could be done by amending the definition to include at the end, the following:

", or a motor vehicle manufacturer that has no franchised dealers in the state prior to January 1, 2016."

I hope that you will consider this measure in the upcoming term. A change in law that is both pro-business and pro-consumer, and costs taxpayers nothing, is surely worthy of passage.

Sincerely,
Robert ...
-------------
from Anne
to me, Diane.Russell
cleardot.gif
Dear Robert: Rep. Russell and I have both been looking into this issue and have been in communication. We have agreed that she will take the lead on this matter as there is no sense in both of us moving down parallel paths. I am sure she will be back to you with her follow up before the end of the year.

Sen. Anne Haskell

I am happy to hear others are passionate on these topics. I to have sent emails to the state to consider the benefits of EVs, charging station and the hopeful consideration the State of Maine would allow direct-to-consumer sales. It would be great to have Tesla open a store in the state.

I am happy to hear others are passionate on these topics. I to have sent emails to the state to consider the benefits of EVs, charging station and the hopeful consideration the State of Maine would allow direct-to-consumer sales. It would be great to have Tesla open a store in the state.
Welcome to the forums, @voltinme. Given our state's demographics, I'm sure it's not high on Tesla's store wish-list currently, but once the Model 3 is available, that should change. Let's work to see the "open for business" sign apply to Tesla, too.

It seems to me that we will have more success on the local level. Portland is much more forward-thinking than most of the rest of the state; it already installed a public charge point in the Elm Street garage, which at least opens the door to more. For example, the city could adopt a policy that plug-in vehicles will be purchased if available for the work required. Leafs and Volts could meet nearly all the requirements of city-owned cars. Then the city will need to install charge points at city facilities (including schools) to support these vehicles, which will also encourage city employees to buy their own EVs. Virtuous circle...

I'm new in Portland and don't have a network into the city council yet. If others do, let's coordinate on an approach.

Well said Robert in Portland formerly known as the Robert the artist in Boston;)

South Portland has bought or leased a few Leafs though the CMP program I think so there is precedent and hopefully someone keeping track of the money saved on fuel oil change sets by going all electric. Lessons learned can be transferred over the bridge.

The health improvements from all electric charging is also important to note as we get into cold dense air trapping all the exhaust at nostril level.

It it is really astounding the number of benefits EV offer to us
1) cost of operation, maintenance
2) energy independence when paired with on site solar or Canadian Hydro(really they are very friendly)
3) clean air ground source pollution improvements
4) auxiliary power sources
5) vehicle to grid possibility, store cheap night wind power , sell back 5 10 or 15 percent of your KW at peak prices
the list goes on and on.....

regarding politics you will find Rep Russell to be very helpful.
i think she co-introduced a very nice solar bill last session.