Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine EVents 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV corridor designations for the VW Settlement funds have been released and will be discussed at the EV Symposium this Saturday in Ellsworth
Saturday, June 2 , 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Moore Community Center, 133 State Street, Ellsworth, ME
7A7784B3-09FC-4B27-912A-51FCBCEE26DC.jpeg
I’ll bring Model X and Model 3.

Meeting summary: Maine gets just over $21M from the VW settlement and elected to use the maximum allowed 15% for EV charging infrastructure. The lion’s share will be managed by the DOT to reduce NOX emissions by replacing or upgrading engines—buses, trucks, generators, boat diesels, etc. Efficiency Maine, known for promoting insulation, efficient lighting, and heat pumps is charged with meting out the $3.1M for EV infrastructure. They have identified routes which are critical to travel into and out of the state. Phase 1 will fund DC fast chargers along several important travel corridors, starting with I95. The first project includes piggybacking on the Tesla SC construction in Kennebunk highway rest areas. The other initial corridors include a path from Quebec to the beaches and along the coast at least as far as MDI (Acadia National Park). The plan is to fund several pivotal locations first, then hold a second round of funding to stretch out and fill in, awarding those proposals with the most host support. A third round of funding will start next year and spend the last few hundred thousand dollars on Level 2 EVSE.
Basically, DC first, AC second, starting now and done in 2020.

Mainers want trucks and all-wheel drive, but that’s not really news.

I also got to see the now discontinued Ford Focus Electric in person, with just over 100 mile range which has proven to be a superb commuter car for its owners. Perfectly reasonable regular car that runs on batteries. Too bad there won’t be many more of them.

Reactions: RiverBrick
Thank you @Gwgan for the update!
Do you know if "Efficiency Maine" has picked a charger vendor?

- "The first project includes piggybacking on the Tesla SC construction in Kennebunk highway rest areas."
I wonder what charge stations will look like in ten years, what types of locations, chargers, and networks?
And I bet thirty five years from now fast charging will be everywhere, generic, and part of a free power infrastructure.

Do you know if "Efficiency Maine" has picked a charger vendor?
Not sure. Sounds like this project is underway since he mentioned Tesla is already contributing the trenching for the other vendor (thanks Elon!) but Phase 1 request for proposals have not been sought yet (very soon). Maybe the first few are special arrangements.

Anyone have TM-Spy going to these events? Might be interesting to check battery stats on our local fleet.
I do have TM-Spy and almost went to the Burlington event last week-end!
I'll try to watch the New England forum next year 'earlier' in the season to plan it better...
Some of the events in Maine may be a stretch for a week-end run in the roadster so planning is important!
Don't hesitate to ping me with event threads if you'd like to see a roadster or TM-Spy.

• Love
Reactions: Gwgan
I do have TM-Spy and almost went to the Burlington event last week-end!
I'll try to watch the New England forum next year 'earlier' in the season to plan it better...
Some of the events in Maine may be a stretch for a week-end run in the roadster so planning is important!
Don't hesitate to ping me with event threads if you'd like to see a roadster or TM-Spy.

For the record, NDEW 2019 will be Saturday September 14th to Sunday September 22nd.

National Drive Electric Week 2019 - Event List

Just so you can block those dates out right now. :)

(South Paris and South Portland events would probably be the 2nd weekend).

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadrunner13