Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine resident can't take delivery in Mass??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VT only charges sales tax (use tax?) if you register the car in VT. I've bought 2 Subarus from VT dealers as a NH resident (2006 and 2020) and did not pay VT tax. In 2006, I took the paperwork to Town Hall, got a permanent plate, and drove home with that. The second time, they gave me a VT temp and I drove home.

But MA is different. If you take delivery in MA, tax is due to MA. It doesn't matter where you live or register the car (CA does this, too).

I bought a car in MA (then a CT resident) in 1991 and a large trailer (>3k lbs, title required) in a 2006 private sale from a MA resident when I lived in NH. In both cases, when I later moved back to MA, the DMV demanded I pay sales tax, penalties, and interest on both transactions before they would issue a plate.

I have a friend who took a post retirement job ferrying cars for a local dealership 6 or 7 years ago. One of the things he did was deliver cars out of state to NH buyers and sign off on delivery papers, specifically so that no MA sales tax was due.

So MA has definitely required sales tax payments for in-state deliveries to out of state buyer from 1991-2016/17. I can't see that ever going away (they have no incentive to do anything to help non-residents and reduce their tax revenue)

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
Massachusetts just stealing income tax as well. You work remote from NH, but, your employer in MA...MA will eat up your income tax as well.
this works both ways, too.
Wife works remote in ME, for a company HQd in CA, but her "physical" office is in MA.

MA took income tax and she got a small return. ME said we owed money because she didn't get a credit for the income tax she paid to MA.

Massachusetts just stealing income tax as well. You work remote from NH, but, your employer in MA...MA will eat up your income tax as well.
And they kept taking stealing it during Covid after people stopped going into the office. I'll be taking a remote job for a MA based company soon; I wonder if I can pay rent to establish a local branch office for less than the cost of MA income tax.

MA took income tax and she got a small return. ME said we owed money because she didn't get a credit for the income tax she paid to MA.
That's surprising. When we lived in CT, my wife was working in MA. At the time, MA income tax was 5%, CT was 4%. CT gave her a credit for the tax paid to MA, wiping out her CT income tax liability. We still had to pay CT tax on mine (we couldn't use the extra 1% she paid to offset my CT-sourced income). I guess ME does it differently.

It doesn't. NH don't have income tax.
They don't tax EARNED income, but ask those retires living on dividend and interest income if they pay a state income tax. IMHO, it's good that they are phasing out the D&I tax - it always seemed pretty regressive; hitting people who can least afford it (elderly retirees on a fixed income).

I ordered my car a few weeks ago and today received a delivery schedule. Turns out that the car is about a 600 mile round trip from where I live in Maine.
In between, there are several Tesla Centers but they have me going to NJ to pick up the car. I was under the (mistaken) impression that I could take a trip to Peabody, Mass (90 mins) and get the car there. I was notified today about the delivery via text and responded that I would like to pick up closer. Driving over 300 miles each way isn't all that appealing, especially since I would have to take time off from work.

Anyone know why delivery in Mass isn't available to Maine residents? Experiences changing delivery location? Does it add more than a day or two to the schedule?

TIA
Ct residents can't take delivery in Massachusetts either. It's totally FUBAR. Tesla sent, what was to be my M3 to MA SC only to find out they couldn't sell it to a CT resident. I had to drive to Mt Kisco NY to pick it up several months later. Ask if you can get it there, it would sure best a drive across GW Bridge! Traditional dealerships are wrapped aroungbthe axle b/c Tesla has salaried employees at their Service Centers, no "dealerships "and commissioned sales ppl. Consequently they make it as difficult as possible for Tesla to compete.

Ct residents can't take delivery in Massachusetts either. It's totally FUBAR. Tesla sent, what was to be my M3 to MA SC only to find out they couldn't sell it to a CT resident. I had to drive to Mt Kisco NY to pick it up several months later. Ask if you can get it there, it would sure best a drive across GW Bridge! Traditional dealerships are wrapped aroungbthe axle b/c Tesla has salaried employees at their Service Centers, no "dealerships "and commissioned sales ppl. Consequently they make it as difficult as possible for Tesla to compete.
They're making me pick up my Y in Paramus next week.

Oh well.

• Informative

Mass will now issue temporary registrations to out-of-state residents for $20, but it's still burdensome because the proof of insurance requires a signature from the insurance company, which given the online nature of insurance would be difficult.

And of course you're have to pay sales tax to Mass if you do it. So something that southern New Englanders or New Yorkers might do, but not something that helps Northern New England where sales tax rates are lower.

• Informative
Hi all, we have a 2018 3 with fsd, planning to trade for a y before sept 30 to keep our fsd no charge. At this point it looks like new jersey but does anyone know of another east coast state that will not charge sales tax and give us temp plates? Thinking of making lemonade and taking a vacation when picking up. Thanks!

When? VT same thing, I bought a Subaru from there tax-free. Only had to pay the dealership fee. VT has sales tax on car transactions as well. I doubt that in Massachusetts, changed. I know for sure when you register the car in MA, you will need to pay the sales tax.

As long as you get a 15 day temp plate ($10 free) from a NH DMV, you can drive the car out of Massachusetts tax-free or VT tax-free.
Wait
I nderstood there is no way to avoid sales tax on a vehicle purchase
I’ve bought in Texas, no tax due to being an out of state resident, then paying tax in my state upon registration
I have it wrong?

Wait
I’ve bought in Texas, no tax due to being an out of state resident, then paying tax in my state upon registration
I have it wrong?
If you live in Maine and purchase from MA, you have to pay MA sales tax 1st, then deal with the state of Maine, which would also like the sales tax.

Not good
Texas let me go with temp tags and no sales tax paid and NY collected at reg
Taxes twice in your example is terrible
That's why we have to drive down to NJ. They provide you with a 30-day temp tag.

I would love to pick my Cybertruck up in Texas, I didn't know if that would be an option. You have made my day, that will be an excellent road trip.

That's why we have to drive down to NJ. They provide you with a 30-day temp tag.

I would love to pick my Cybertruck up in Texas, I didn't know if that would be an option. You have made my day, that will be an excellent road trip.
I bought a used vehicle a few years ago
I don’t know about buying Teslas in Texas and driving them back
But on my used vehicle, they have me temp tags

Hi all, we have a 2018 3 with fsd, planning to trade for a y before sept 30 to keep our fsd no charge. At this point it looks like new jersey but does anyone know of another east coast state that will not charge sales tax and give us temp plates? Thinking of making lemonade and taking a vacation when picking up. Thanks!
No sales/delivery locations in ME/VT/NH (VT/NH are coming).

MA is a no-go - all buyers, regardless of state of residence/registration, must pay MA sales tax on any car they take delivery of in MA. Plus MA sales tax is higher than ME, so even if ME gives you a credit for sales tax paid to MA, you still lose. MA also has no concept of a temporary registration, so you'd have to bring your own plates.

CT has no sales location (thanks CT NADA), but one is slated to open this Fall at Mohegan Sun.

That leaves you with Warwick, RI and NY/NJ. I've never been to the Warwick, but it looks pretty small on Google Maps street view, so that's probably why they don't use it for out of state buyers.

Wait
I have it wrong?
Correct (I bought a car from a TX dealer as a MA resident). TX, like most states, does not collect sales tax on the purchase, but rather at registration (consider it the "use" part of "sales & use tax"). A resident would generally buy and register at the same time, so the tax is collected at the time of sale/registration.

A non-resident buying a car in a "normal" state would have to register/pay tax on their own. The dealer may offer temp plates; otherwise the buyer must figure out how to arrive at the dealership with plates to drive home.

MA and CA are the exception. If you take delivery of a vehicle in MA or CA, you are required to pay sales tax, period. Where you live/register the vehicle is irrelevant. That's why MA dealers deliver cars to out of state buyers at their home/office/town hall/DMV (registrations can be processed at NH town clerks); out of state deliveries are MA sales tax free (the transaction is not happening in MA).