Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mainland Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Akikiki,
Thanks for the suggestion. That certainly would be a great car in which to do the electric road trip. I have to wait for TSLA stock to go up before I can sell some and buy a second Model S for a summer road trip. Also, I am going to have to use creativity to take a leave of absence over summer. My employer currently thinks I'm working all summer. Then there's Iceman the dog's schedule, with his many girlfriends to visit here in Kailua. I'm gonna have to convince him they'll be waiting with tails wagging when we return.

Last edited:
OK, it looks like my mainland road trip is on for this summer!

My plan is to upgrade my current 40kwh Model S to 60kwh and add supercharging, then ship the car to Oakland in May. I've even figured out a routing that will allow me to make Alaska with 60kwh. I am wrapping up my current job in Hawaii this May and have been offered a position with another company that can be conducted anywhere I have phone access and internet. Hmm, sounds perfect for the Electric Road Trip: touring America with my dog and earning a living at the same time!

Planning on installing a compact refrigerator/freezer in the trunk. An Australian company called ARB makes some excellent units that can be powered from an auto battery. When I owned my sailboat, I learned quickly that the difference between boating and yachting is refrigeration. I enjoy a cool drink whenever the urge catches me, and my dog remains on his present raw-meat diet. Any of you who attend the April get-together will get to meet Iceman, my wingman for this road trip.

OK, it looks like my mainland road trip is on for this summer!

My plan is to upgrade my current 40kwh Model S to 60kwh and add supercharging, then ship the car to Oakland in May. I've even figured out a routing that will allow me to make Alaska with 60kwh. I am wrapping up my current job in Hawaii this May and have been offered a position with another company that can be conducted anywhere I have phone access and internet. Hmm, sounds perfect for the Electric Road Trip: touring America with my dog and earning a living at the same time!

Planning on installing a compact refrigerator/freezer in the trunk. An Australian company called ARB makes some excellent units that can be powered from an auto battery. When I owned my sailboat, I learned quickly that the difference between boating and yachting is refrigeration. I enjoy a cool drink whenever the urge catches me, and my dog remains on his present raw-meat diet. Any of you who attend the April get-together will get to meet Iceman, my wingman for this road trip.

How exciting! Can't wait to meet Iceman!

WeazL, I'll be running a blog during the trip so that those who want to do a virtual tour of the mainland via Tesla can check in from time to time and see what discoveries are made. Photos included, of course.

if you have VT running somewhere we will know exactly where you are. didn't someone early-on have an app that auto-blogged position reports?

- - - Updated - - -

mainland? There's a Main Land? or is it Mainland? O' country of mains. :wink:

Why is it that the lower 48 are all north of Hawaii.

I believe he's paying to have his current 40 "unlocked" to become a 60, paying to enable supercharging, and then shipping it to Oakland from Oahu. Correct me if Im wrong...

Yep, WeazL has it figured out. I am barely looking at 85s too, though, just to get a feel for how much more that option would be. The tech package with autopilot would be incredible on a long trip. Iceman seldom is willing to share with the driving.

Last edited:
Wow Papafox!! You're really going to do it!! That's really exciting and sounds like quite an adventure. You're surely living the charmed life :smile:
Looking forward to the blog posts.

StephenM, I've been working like a dog for the past three years. Now it's time to take my dog and see America! Very stoked here.

- - - Updated - - -

so have you found out if you can transfer your existing maintenance plan to the new vehicle. I heard the price went up.:eek:

Good point. I'll ask and report back.

Today, while preparing for the road trip, I woke up in Hollywood!
hw.jpg

The reason I'm here is because of a car shop that is fabulous at working on Teslas. Half the cars in the business were Teslas today. The others were Bentleys or Rolls Royces or Ferraris. It's a fun neighborhood!

Now I know what you're all thinking... did I have time to fit a screen test into my busy schedule? Well, to be honest, attention to the Tesla took up most of the day, and my priorities include my dog, my TMC Hawaii friends, and the upcoming road trip. I'm sorry Hollywood, you're just going to have to be patient!

hwjw1.jpg

Nonetheless, I walked over to Grauman's Chinese Theater and took a look to see how my footprint would look, set in the concrete. Not bad, it'd fit fine! So here I am with a movie star's car, movie star's dog, and a footprint suitable for Grauman's Chinese Theater. All I need now is this silly little thing known as talent. I've got everything else! Having fun getting ready to have fun.

Last edited: