Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintain Cabin Power While Parked or Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just came back from long road trip in our 4 months old MY! We love the car, but came across a problem that we're not sure how to resolve. Hopefully, there's a simple work around. I did a few searches here, but didn't find any mentions of the same problem...

The problem is, when we're parked or while supercharging, the driver can't leave the car without resulting in a complete power shutdown in the cabin and automatic door lock. This is despite there are still passengers in the car! How can the driver leave the car to buy food, use the restroom, stretch, take a walking break, or whatever, without disrupting the cabin AC/heater and music/entertainment for the passenger(s) who wants to stay in the car? We've tried leaving the driver's cell phone behind, but that didn't work. The only solution we found so far is to leave the driver's door slightly open, but obviously, that's not an acceptable solution for security reasons.

Not sure if this is a problem with my car only or if it's a system setting that I somehow overlooked or changed accidentally. I'm hoping someone can point me to a solution. Thanks.

We just came back from long road trip in our 4 months old MY! We love the car, but came across a problem that we're not sure how to resolve. Hopefully, there's a simple work around. I did a few searches here, but didn't find any mentions of the same problem...

The problem is, when we're parked or while supercharging, the driver can't leave the car without resulting in a complete power shutdown in the cabin and automatic door lock. This is despite there are still passengers in the car! How can the driver leave the car to buy food, use the restroom, stretch, take a walking break, or whatever, without disrupting the cabin AC/heater and music/entertainment for the passenger(s) who wants to stay in the car? We've tried leaving the driver's cell phone behind, but that didn't work. The only solution we found so far is to leave the driver's door slightly open, but obviously, that's not an acceptable solution for security reasons.

Not sure if this is a problem with my car only or if it's a system setting that I somehow overlooked or changed accidentally. I'm hoping someone can point me to a solution. Thanks.
If you leave the phone key in the car it won’t lock automatically. If you get out and close the door the power goes out, all your passengers have to do is touch the screen and everything will be back. My wife and I both have our keys in the app so when I leave and her phone is in the car it doesn’t lock. All she does is touch the screen and she’s able to do anything like Netflix and climate.

The Tesla vehicle will not lock the doors as long as the phone is inside the vehicle. The front seat passenger can tap the Tesla screen to access the climate control and the entertainment functions. If the driver enables Camping Mode before exiting, taking their phone with the the Tesla vehicle will not lock, the climate control system will remain on.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
set the HVAC to always on and turn off walk away door like. Be sure to turn off the HVAC each night.

The driver could also try turning back on the HVAC in the app after walking away. That should run the HVAC for awhile (15 minutes?) and not risk leaving the HVAC on all night.

But I often a bit confused about when/why the car runs HVAC when the car is parked and the doors and seat sensors are periodically triggered. Tesla could reduce the confusion by providing some feedback on the HVAC setting screen. The car is too aggressive about killing the HVAC when a door is opened in my opinion. If people are messing about the car the HVAC should be left on. If I'm concerned about battery I will manually turn the HVAC off.

set the HVAC to always on and turn off walk away door like. Be sure to turn off the HVAC each night.

The driver could also try turning back on the HVAC in the app after walking away. That should run the HVAC for awhile (15 minutes?) and not risk leaving the HVAC on all night.

But I often a bit confused about when/why the car runs HVAC when the car is parked and the doors and seat sensors are periodically triggered. Tesla could reduce the confusion by providing some feedback on the HVAC setting screen. The car is too aggressive about killing the HVAC when a door is opened in my opinion. If people are messing about the car the HVAC should be left on. If I'm concerned about battery I will manually turn the HVAC off.
You don't need to do any of this, just have the passengers tap the screen.

Ive had the alarm blare when I got out and back in waiting for my husband. Also we have both been locked out when we had been camping in camp mode with the camp lock inside. Then when we both went out the back to the bathroom. Car did not recognize phone or card keys inside it LOCKED!...

Ive had the alarm blare when I got out and back in waiting for my husband. Also we have both been locked out when we had been camping in camp mode with the camp lock inside. Then when we both went out the back to the bathroom. Car did not recognize phone or card keys inside it LOCKED!...
Old post, but please let us know what you did. This sounds like a terrible night, but I'm sure you're laughing now. Haha