Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintaining charge while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have a question about charging. Specifically, I thought if I left my car plugged in overnight, it would maintain the charge at the level I set. For example, I charge to 80%, which is about 292 mile range; since I don’t have a far commute, I reach this about an hour after I come home from work. But when I wake up in the morning, it’s lost a few miles of charge, down to 290 miles.
I do understand that there is “vampire drain”, but I thought leaving the car plugged in would not only get it to the charge I set, but also maintain at that level. Is that incorrect?
Thanks!

Here is page out of manual. If u turn car off then no vampire drain. If not plugged in will drain. Just leave it plugged in

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 71
I have wondered about that as well. Setting my '13 S85 to an 80% SOC takes it to 211 miles, but if left plugged in I've seen it sink to as low as 205. Never lower than that. I have not been successful catching the car "waking up" to refresh itself, but would like to someday.
If you just want to know when the car does this, that's pretty easy to see. On the mobile app on your phone, turn on the notifications for both charging started and charging stopped, and on the car, turn off the scheduled charging so that it can charge at any time of the day. And then leave the car alone for a couple of days without driving it. I'm sure you'll get a couple of notices about it recharging as it gets to that 3% below point and refills itself.