Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance for Pearl White color and Midnight silver.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the MSM for a little over a month and it's been an awesome car to take of. Like many have mentioned, it hides dirt extremely well.
I usually tend to wash my cars every week but work has been extremely crazy so I haven't had the time. I've only washed my car once during that whole month and you can't even see all the pollen and dust unless you're a few inches away. I use a foam cannon and the two bucket method and I'm extremely careful in washing in straight lines. After the wash I inspected the paint and there were zero swirl marks.

Obviously some cars will show more than others but I think the most important aspect is how careful you are in the maintenance of the vehicle. Hope you get your car soon!

If it is the same on a M3 as it is on the MS -- another factor not mentioned in this thread is that the plastic under the paint on the nose of the car is BLACK. Any road rash on light colors shows up very prominently, so at least clear bra is imperative.

I had Mineral Grey BMW M235i and the color is quite similar to the Midnight Silver color. It definitely hides dirt and (most) scratches quite well and I’d on’t recall swirls ever being too big of an issue. I’m in a black car right now and will NEVER go with that again, water streaks are especially bad.

I ultimately went with Midnight Silbver because as nice as the red and blue look, it’s a big too much for me. I see a lot of silver cars on the road and felt that the Midnight Silver with the darker rims and perhaps adding tinted windows and/or chrome delete will look pretty sharp.

The Midnight Silver is not just grey as a previous poster commented. It has flecks of colored metal within it, giving it an interesting hue depending on the color/temperature and angel of light hitting it, from light grey, to dark grey, blue-ish grey, red-ish grey, and I'm sure others that I haven't seen yet.

With that, it hides dirt well, but you'll lose some of color tinting when it's not clean.

My first impulse was to de-chrome my mid-night silver, but I've come to feel that the chrome adds a bit of class to this color in particular. While I did darken my windows, I think the reflections off the chrome adds to the shine and contrast of the paint.

Who knows, I may get tired of this after a while, then de-chroming might become a good change of pace.

• Love
Reactions: ronin and P85_DA
MSM is far from being just "grey". Slight color change depending on the lighting

2uhvle8.jpg

I have Pearl White and I love the clean and simple look of this color and combination of the dark glass room makes it super slick.

Pros and Cons for both colors:

Pearl White
Pros: Best color option, goes well with chrome, hides swirl marks/micro scratches well
Cons: Bugs are noticeable on front bumper and rear wheel wells collection more noticeable dirt/dust, more noticeable paint chips

Midnight Silver
Pros: Classy color, hides dirt very well from far away, goes well with dark color wheels, not many on roads, color combo goes well with chrome delete
Cons: More noticeable swirl marks/micro scratches

Hope this helps narrow down your decision!

Actually the cons are that you look like every other car on the road.

I own a Pearl White Model 3 and blue Model X. I think the white looks spectacular on the 3 w/ the contrasting black room + added tinted windows. The white is also ultra easy to take care of compared to the Blue and reports of how the MSM is. Day I took delivery, I brought it home and applied cquartz on it. I just did a 50:50 isopropyl alcohol wipe on the panel then applied 1 layer of cquartz on it. Waited about 30 seconds then would wipe off. I bought a 24 pack of small microfiber clothes on amazon and folded it into quarter pieces and would wipe with each side then toss it. Whole process only took me 2 hours, and it was my first time applying a ceramic coat and couldn't have been easier. I was satisfied with the paint quality coming from factory so didn't bother with the other prep, and white is the most forgiving color as you will hardly see any swirls compared to a dark blue, black or dark grey vehicle so I think its next to impossible to mess up a ceramic coat install on it. The reason for ceramic coat for me was to make washing easier, and its true what you hear, hose the car with a high pressure water washer and most of the dirt just slides off. On the X, I didn't apply ceramic coat as the blemishes would show and hard to get a perfect wipe on it for the in-experienced. I have just been using reload silica spray every 4-5 months after the wash and it hasn't had too many swirls. The blue x also gets a layer of dust daily, which is hidden on the white 3. Bugs and rock chips may show more easily on the white though, I ended up getting xpel on the front bumper for $500.

• Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax
I changed to silver metallic as the color was going to discontinue. Panic set and I changed it.

I guess I cannot come out of Irvine city mentality. Cookie-cutter houses with beige everywhere. For Teslas, I go with Silver Metallic.

I used to not have OCD and somehow developed that here. I blame the city for that.:rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I own a Pearl White Model 3 and blue Model X. I think the white looks spectacular on the 3 w/ the contrasting black room + added tinted windows. The white is also ultra easy to take care of compared to the Blue and reports of how the MSM is. Day I took delivery, I brought it home and applied cquartz on it. I just did a 50:50 isopropyl alcohol wipe on the panel then applied 1 layer of cquartz on it. Waited about 30 seconds then would wipe off. I bought a 24 pack of small microfiber clothes on amazon and folded it into quarter pieces and would wipe with each side then toss it. Whole process only took me 2 hours, and it was my first time applying a ceramic coat and couldn't have been easier. I was satisfied with the paint quality coming from factory so didn't bother with the other prep, and white is the most forgiving color as you will hardly see any swirls compared to a dark blue, black or dark grey vehicle so I think its next to impossible to mess up a ceramic coat install on it. The reason for ceramic coat for me was to make washing easier, and its true what you hear, hose the car with a high pressure water washer and most of the dirt just slides off. On the X, I didn't apply ceramic coat as the blemishes would show and hard to get a perfect wipe on it for the in-experienced. I have just been using reload silica spray every 4-5 months after the wash and it hasn't had too many swirls. The blue x also gets a layer of dust daily, which is hidden on the white 3. Bugs and rock chips may show more easily on the white though, I ended up getting xpel on the front bumper for $500.

The other day I looked at the white Model 3 and yes, it looks fantastic and looks futuristic.

In fact, it looks like another white rocket, just going horizontally.

The road dirt was a concern as white would contrast with the dirt. In that sense, silver does better job at hiding road dirt.

Also I don't want to standout from public too much by having red or white. I want my Teslas to blend in with road and have less notice from people. So silver is more practical in that sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Anyone have Pearl White but didn’t get PPF or Ceramic? Wondering what it looks like and how easy it is to maintain without ppf/ceramics.

Also would like to know how bad the rock/paint chips are with Pearl White

Rock chips show easily on white ..i did front end ppf and ceramic car and easy to take cAre of ..I imagine without would still be easy to care for ..I wash my car now once a month as always looks clean ;)