Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance reminders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No and you don't need a reminder.

Almost nothing needs to be done, compared to an ICE. Tesla's very vague rule is 12K or 12 months, with most SCs saying 12 months unless you are building crazy miles. There is essentially nothing to maintain on the car beyond the battery coolant change at every 2 years. All they do at 12 months is replace wipers and fill the washer (wow!), check fluids (oooh!), check alignment, though I have read here that they don't do that anymore (weird), check tire tread depth, check brake pads, which we rarely use so they last forever, and test both battery pack and 12V battery. And those are under warranty if you need work. That really is about it. The car will tell you when something is not right, like with the 12V battery and major systems.

I made the mistake of buying the 4-year maintenance package. I really don't feel like I got screwed. But I now realize that I really didn't have to.

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
I made the mistake of buying the 4-year maintenance package. I really don't feel like I got screwed. But I now realize that I really didn't have to.

This is something all buyers need to consider. Especially given that many (including myself) tend to put much more distance on their Teslas than on previous ICE vehicles.

I bought the 4 year plan for the S I bought early last year but ended ended up driving it much more than I thought I would (it's just so much fun to drive) and ended up putting well over 12,500 miles on it in one year. So I basically used two year's of the maintenance plan in one year.

I've traded that car in for another S (I wanted the V2 hardware and continued unlimited supercharging) which is to arrive in a few weeks and I'm pretty sure I will not be prepaying for maintenance this time. In fact I heard one of the "non-sales" people at the local Tesla store (can't call them sales people or dealerships in Utah) telling a prospective buyer that if they are going to drive a lot prepaying the 4 year program may not be a good idea.

If you're willing to connect your car to a 3rd party site, EVTripping.com allows you to set tire rotation and service reminders.

Would be nice if Tesla provided this in their own app or the car.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 9.06.52 PM.jpg