Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance schedule changes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mark_T

Nov 1, 2017
UK
Just saw this: Tesla Changes Service Requirements - 3rd and 4th Year No Longer Needed?

The UK pages on the website still refer to the annual checks as before, so not sure if this is USA only at the moment or if it is just taking time to roll out the changes on the site...

The thread title is inaccurate though, it is not that 3rd & 4th year are not needed, it is that they are no longer selling 3 and 4 year plans as the current annual servicing is not needed...

warranty doesn't require servicing

me neither (well I service at around 30,000 mile / 50.000 km intervals), but in UK, at least, if car bought on Finance then manufacturer service interval has to be honoured.

Tesla has huge service bottleneck, EV doesn't need frequent service (other than perhaps to allow Tesla folk to examine the car and log data on wear&tear so that Design can be adjusted at earliest opportunity to avoid expensive Warranty repairs). Other EV brands not having such short service intervals ... so adding that together I think it would be great if Tesla reduce the service frequency - removes the disincentive (for high mileage drivers) to buy on Finance

me neither (well I service at around 30,000 mile / 50.000 km intervals), but in UK, at least, if car bought on Finance then manufacturer service interval has to be honoured.

... and that is why it is an important change for some of us at least :)

I've still got 3 months to go before first annual service was due so hopefully this will get cleared up well before then.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I've only serviced my car once in 100,000kms, and that was about the 20,000km mark.
Car seems fine, and the warranty doesn't require servicing so I've not bothered.
Sorry for posting on the UK subforum ... here in Australia the financing doesn't have any stipulations about servicing etc, otherwise I would probably have had to service more than I did.
Funny thing is, there is literally no difference in my car since I bought it, they really don't need servicing.
I've had my tyres and brakes checked by a tyre place though, that's probably important to keep an eye on.

It is only our PCP finance that does this as they offer a guaranteed minimum future value at the end of the contract.
Ah, that makes sense. We have a similar system called novated leasing that has requirements for servicing and maximum total mileage.
I'm on "the drip" ie. hire purchase, basically a standard car loan. Requires a higher deposit but you're free to do as you like with the car.

Last edited:
... and that is why it is an important change for some of us at least :)

I've still got 3 months to go before first annual service was due so hopefully this will get cleared up well before then.

At the moment it’s as clear a mud. The articles in the press today made selective references to what should be looked at periodically but that a service wasn’t specifically required. The Tesla website sort of says that but then has a catch all “refer to the manual for you car for recommended service intervals” (or words to that effect).

My manual dated Dec 18 clearly states 12,500 miles or 12 months. What I’ve seen today isn’t enough for me to skip a scheduled service - the GFV is far to valuable to leave any wriggle room.

Which is why I said in my original post that the details haven't hit the UK site yet...

In the USA, people with services booked are being phoned to tell them they don't need to come in.

I'm going to leave it until Monday then call the service centre to see if they are up to speed yet.

Similarly I'm expecting a new manual to be released, but I expect they are taking time to do all the EU versions at the same time.

I doubt that makes a difference. My black horse finance documentation states annual services.

Unless Barclays and black horse now day you don’t need a service, but I don’t see that ?

I don't see them changing the contract wording either. My finance is with Tesla Financial Services and simply says the vehicle must be maintained in accordance with the manufacture's recommendations.

Servicing is yet another thing where Tesla have got themselves into a totally unecessary mess.
Nobody could complain about an abundance of caution by Tesla in the early years until reliability was established, but we are way beyond that now.

From day one Tesla has never had a coherent policy on servicing and created themselves entirely unecessary problems as a result.

On one hand you should have ithe car serviced every 12months/12000 miles at a cost considerably higher than many ICE, on the other no servicing is needed.

Now we have a lurch to as sort of well you ought to do this if you remember but ... in other words still as vague as ever. And in turn the finance industry will be confiused as to what is required likely creating unecessary costs to owners.

imho Tesla servicing policy should be this:

inspection required annually or every 50,0000 miles whichever is earlier.

simple to understand
means cars are checked at least annually which i view as a prudent minimum safety requirement to catch random defects/damage
maintains a minimal level of customer engagement with Tesla
does not excessively burden Tesla SCs
simple for Tesla to budget and plan for, and in turn self-funding

inspection dates are quite simply auto-generated by Tesla back-end systems and sent to the car/customer and the date of the inital first check - which should be included in the cost of the car) should be variable between 9-12 months calculated to smooth peak loading on the SC local to the owner.

what Tesla should do is to completely re-imagine servicing into a while-you-wait flow-line type operation perhaps akin to a drive-through multistage car wash facility taking <30 mins, only if there is an issue is the car sidelined to a rework area, or re-booked for more significant work/parts. For known defects of course an owner can pre-book their car in the usual manner.

An alternate for owners that wish to pay a premium would be for mobile servicing, which reduces fixed overhead costs, increases flexibility and in turn the mobile fleet can be used for other support/marketing functions and as a powerful differentiator to the traditional dealer model.

So a standard SC annual check for £250 or a mobile check for £500 (+£100 if fluid change required) should do it.

I doubt that makes a difference. My black horse finance documentation states annual services.

Unless Barclays and black horse now day you don’t need a service, but I don’t see that ?

My Black Horse documents make no mention of 'annual services' mine just says :

"You must have the Goods serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s
recommendations and any applicable warranty."

Where does it mention 'annual' in yours?

Reactions: MagicMagicD