Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance schedule changes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATED

Got some prices to go with those items, all inc. labour and VAT: First price is for the 'S', second for the 'X':

Cabin Air filter: £27.30/£43.40
HEPA filter £209.79/£218.49
Brake fluid test: £17.40/£17.40
Brake fluid flush if needed £159.90/£186.00
AC Desiccant £151.06/£194.00
Winter Care £174/£174 - UPDATE: Not required in the UK
Wheel Alignment if needed: £174/£174

So for an S with HEPA that looks like this:

Year 1 £0
Year 2 £195.76 + £159.90 if brake fluid flush needed
Year 3 £209.79
Year 4 £195.76 + £159.90 if brake fluid flush needed

For an X with HEPA:

Year 1 £0
Year 2 £43.40 + £186.00 if brake fluid flush needed
Year 3 £218.49
Year 4 £254.80 + £186.00 if brake fluid flush needed

Always keeping in mind that if tyre wear indicates a need for wheel alignment check at any time then add £174.

If anyone spots any mistakes in this please yell :)

In principle it has always been part of the financial case for EVs that servicing is minimal and there's less to go wrong, but my maths had Tesla still costing me ICE norms, whether I went with a service plan or kept up recommended servicing, which I would. So it's great that this new regime is out there.

I still feel a little sense of unease though. Reliability and unplanned work feels like the bigger part of the cost. But hopefully I'll be proved wrong. My ICE cars have generally required little more than routine (luck, I guess) and if the Tesla does too it'll look acceptable financially, even at many times the buy price. My (current, probably not where I'll end up for this car, but I'd prefer to return to them because of wider relationship) insurer has quoted pretty high because of discomfort with cost to repair.

What I really look forward to is my local independent garage having the freedom/accreditation/confidence/knowledge/whatever is missing to work on my EV. I have always preferred a good honest practical relationship like that to a main dealer one and it's probably saved me a fortune over the years. So a big bonus to this is reading the list of jobs still deemed necessary - brake flush, air filters, AC, wheel alignment....

Last edited:
I called my local service centre here in Sydney, Australia and they told me they are doubling down on their recommendation not to have the cars serviced at all, unless there is a fault.

Presumably they are not saying that the filter replacement schedule has changed though, or the recommendation to check the brake fluid.?

So the S is still due the AC desiccant and cabin air filter replacement at the two year point, along with a health check on the brake fluid.

Presumably they are not saying that the filter replacement schedule has changed though, or the recommendation to check the brake fluid.?

So the S is still due the AC desiccant and cabin air filter replacement at the two year point, along with a health check on the brake fluid.
Strangely they did seem to be saying to just never bring the car in. Maybe they are being irresponsible to avoid overloading the service centre?

Strangely they did seem to be saying to just never bring the car in. Maybe they are being irresponsible to avoid overloading the service centre?

The official Tesla manual still has the filter replacement schedule in it and brake fluid testing is still there too, but I guess you don't actually need to have that done at a Tesla service centre...

The official Tesla manual still has the filter replacement schedule in it and brake fluid testing is still there too, but I guess you don't actually need to have that done at a Tesla service centre...

Horses for courses but for peace of mind I’d be taking it to Tesla, and also be asking for them to check the car over - especially whilst in warranty.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Horses for courses but for peace of mind I’d be taking it to Tesla, and also be asking for them to check the car over - especially whilst in warranty.

I tend to agree, but you still have to get them to make the appointment in the first place.

Also the whole 'check the car over' thing does seem to be consigned to history along with the 'annual service'.

They seem to have shifted to a model based on charging you to investigate faults and then waive the charge if the fault is covered by the warranty, not much room in there for 'check the car over' unless you are paying for it.

The volume of new 3's out there with no significant increase in service capacity has ended the old style service we were used to before the 3 arrived in the UK.