Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance Service Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys.. that is definitely what happened. I was asked for $3600... then my astonishment led to a call for $1200 as the fee. I definitely paid it. At the San Diego service center. I did not buy the service plan.. so this is the fee I was asked 'to catch up, since you haven't done any service yet.' Here's a copy of my invoice.

Concern: Perform 6th Annual Service

Corrections: Annual Service

- Pulled logs and checked for active faults: No active faults (05/07/15) - Checked firmware

version: Updated to latest version 6.2(2.4.197) - Performed function check of closures

(moving glass, doors, trunks): Cleaned and lubricated latches. Good, no issue - Tested

and inspected customer¶s charge cable: Charge cable not present - Replaced: - Wiper

Blades - Key Fob Battery - Cabin Air Filter - Air Conditioning Desiccant Filter - Remote

Keyless Entry: Good, no issue - Seat belts and latches: Good, no issue - Interior/exterior

lighting and horn: Good, no issue - Performed inspection of powertrain and chassis

components: Good, no issues. - Checked fluid levels: Topped off washer fluid. Brake and

coolant levels optimal. No signs of leakage - Performed Brake Fluid Exchange - Performed

Coolant Exchange - Inspected tires and rotated as necessary - Measured tire tread depth

at: (Outer) (Center) (Inner) LF: 6/32 6/32 5/32 RF: 6/32 6/32 5/32 LR: 8/32 7/32 7/32 RR:

10/32 10/32 10/32 - Adjusted tire pressures to B-pillar spec: 45psi Front, 45psi Rear -

Measured brake pad thickness (mm) LF: RF: LR: RR: Park: 6mm 6mm 8mm 8mm 5mm -

Performed 4-wheel alignment check - Test drive: Vehicle functions as designed

Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 1200.0000

Pay Type: Customer Pay

This is the same BS lee Woolsley told me since I didn't have prev service I would have to pay the prev years ...I ended up going to Costa Mesa won't take my car to SD SC ...sorry but u got ripped off

This is entirely my conjecture, but I think whoever came up with this "pay for all missed inspections" deal sounds like they have years of experience at a regular car dealership service department. This is so not "Tesla like" that I have to believe the idea for this had to have been originated from some other corporate policy.

That's like going to the doctor for an annual checkup and he says "gee, you haven't been here in five years, you're going to have to pay me for all those missed exams" when all along you were feeling perfectly healthy. Like the others have said, I would quickly escalate this up to a regional manager or even higher. That inspection should have cost you only $600.

Thanks guys.. that is definitely what happened. I was asked for $3600... then my astonishment led to a call for $1200 as the fee. I definitely paid it. At the San Diego service center. I did not buy the service plan.. so this is the fee I was asked 'to catch up, since you haven't done any service yet.' Here's a copy of my invoice.

Concern: Perform 6th Annual Service

Corrections: Annual Service

- Pulled logs and checked for active faults: No active faults (05/07/15) - Checked firmware

version: Updated to latest version 6.2(2.4.197) - Performed function check of closures

(moving glass, doors, trunks): Cleaned and lubricated latches. Good, no issue - Tested

and inspected customer¶s charge cable: Charge cable not present - Replaced: - Wiper

Blades - Key Fob Battery - Cabin Air Filter - Air Conditioning Desiccant Filter - Remote

Keyless Entry: Good, no issue - Seat belts and latches: Good, no issue - Interior/exterior

lighting and horn: Good, no issue - Performed inspection of powertrain and chassis

components: Good, no issues. - Checked fluid levels: Topped off washer fluid. Brake and

coolant levels optimal. No signs of leakage - Performed Brake Fluid Exchange - Performed

Coolant Exchange - Inspected tires and rotated as necessary - Measured tire tread depth

at: (Outer) (Center) (Inner) LF: 6/32 6/32 5/32 RF: 6/32 6/32 5/32 LR: 8/32 7/32 7/32 RR:

10/32 10/32 10/32 - Adjusted tire pressures to B-pillar spec: 45psi Front, 45psi Rear -

Measured brake pad thickness (mm) LF: RF: LR: RR: Park: 6mm 6mm 8mm 8mm 5mm -

Performed 4-wheel alignment check - Test drive: Vehicle functions as designed

Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 1200.0000

Pay Type: Customer Pay

Wow what a complete rip off. This makes that whole bit about Tesla Service not being a profit center sound like a bunch of nonsense.

If this is how they rip off customers for regular service, I can only imagine how they will rip off customers for out of warranty work. Someone posted on another thread that the malfunctioning door handle replacement cost would have been about $1,000 out of warranty.

I didn't realize this is possible but Tesla has managed to make a Mercedes Dealer seem like they are darn reasonable and cheap. Don't even think of owning a Model S out of warranty if this keeps up.

Shocked by this... I hope it gets corrected by TMC

Wow what a complete rip off. This makes that whole bit about Tesla Service not being a profit center sound like a bunch of nonsense.

If this is how they rip off customers for regular service, I can only imagine how they will rip off customers for out of warranty work. Someone posted on another thread that the malfunctioning door handle replacement cost would have been about $1,000 out of warranty.

I didn't realize this is possible but Tesla has managed to make a Mercedes Dealer seem like they are darn reasonable and cheap. Don't even think of owning a Model S out of warranty if this keeps up.

I have 75k on my car, lots of general visits and lots of maintenance updates., but no formal annual services.. Came in for tpms issue and asked about routine maintenance since extended warranty expires in 25k. I was told that I it is $600 for every 12.5 miles..thus my bill for service would be 600 X 5 for the ones I missed and 600 for this one... What a rip off! I complained about the fairness of this approach, and they agreed to charge 1200 total. Still a rip off but I wanted to get it done. I liked the small Tesla company back in 2012 much better than today's company.

Anyone else been told similarly?

It seems that for 1200 they changed the battery coolant, aligned the tires, and inspected a lot of stuff... Too expensive if you ask me.

I would be shocked if this was Tesla's corporate policy. Would totally fly in the face of the services being optional. I suspect someone at your local service center is seriously misinformed or attempted to show some terribly misplaced old school dealership initiative.

I'd give the main Tesla ownership number a call, or email Jerome directly and let them know what the SC did. I'd say you're due $600 back.

This is clearly a single, isolated event that was obviously in the wrong, and likely will be corrected. I don't think we've heard anything like this reported before. It's not the way Tesla does business.

Are you a TSLA short-shill? All you seem to do here is make slam posts against Tesla. Every single time the "service plan" comes up in *any* thread or discussion, you jump right in and post the same hyperbolic and irrelevant comparisons to Mercedes Benz. Do you have any personal experience with the Tesla Service centers or their fine staff? Do you even own a car? Fine, we get it, it's not something you would do, but it obviously makes sense for an awful lot of people here. Just because one person got screwed - ONE PERSON -- by a clearly mis-informed SC employee does not automatically make Tesla the evil monster you keep making it out to be. Please go buy another Mercedes Benz if you're so happy with them, because it seems like you really hate Tesla Motors.

- - - Updated - - -

Even at $600 this is a rip-off. Thats like two hours worth of work and $100 worth of parts.

That's not all they did, they also did all of this, which takes considerable time:

Pulled logs and checked for active faults: No active faults (05/07/15) Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version 6.2(2.4.197)
Performed function check of closures (moving glass, doors, trunks): Cleaned and lubricated latches. Good, no issue
Remote Keyless Entry: Good, no issue
Seat belts and latches: Good, no issue
Interior/exterior lighting and horn: Good, no issue
Performed inspection of powertrain and chassis components: Good, no issues.
Checked fluid levels: Topped off washer fluid. Brake and coolant levels optimal. No signs of leakage
Performed Brake Fluid Exchange
Performed Coolant Exchange
Inspected tires and rotated as necessary
Measured tire tread depth at: (Outer) (Center) (Inner) LF: 6/32 6/32 5/32 RF: 6/32 6/32 5/32 LR: 8/32 7/32 7/32 RR: 10/32 10/32 10/32
Adjusted tire pressures to Bpillar spec: 45psi Front, 45psi Rear
Measured brake pad thickness (mm) LF: RF: LR: RR: Park: 6mm 6mm 8mm 8mm 5mm
Performed 4 wheel alignment check
Test drive: Vehicle functions as designed

It actually has value if/when they uncover anything that might need repair or replacement before they fail and leave you stranded. It's not just a $600 oil change and brake flush.

When I took my car in for its first annual inspection (which only cost me $475), they had the car for two days. It was a day before I was leaving on a 3000 mile road trip. That $475 was worth every penny knowing they went over the car with a fine-tooth comb making sure everything was in top operating function.

I'm a huge supporter of Tesla, have multi-year experience with Tesla Service both under warranty and post warranty, and this seems like a one-off to me. It's not how Tesla has done business with me (and we're all speaking from personal experience).

I was bothered enough that I escalated it up the food chain the moment I read it last night. MsElectric, you'd be right to be so upset IF this kind of story was a constant drumbeat. But to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time someone has reported this. And certainly by the reaction of many here with Tesla Service, it's easy to see this must be an anomaly.

For those who are worried what this will mean to them when their car is no longer under warranty, I remind you of a frequently forgotten fact: Model S is not the first car that Tesla has produced. Roadster owners, for the most part (exception being CPO and extended warranty purchases) are no longer under warranty. Go to the Roadster section of the forum. No one is complaining. In fact, there are stories (many recent) of Tesla Service going above and beyond to drive costs down.

Are you a TSLA short-shill? All you seem to do here is make slam posts against Tesla. Every single time the "service plan" comes up in *any* thread or discussion, you jump right in and post the same hyperbolic and irrelevant comparisons to Mercedes Benz. Do you have any personal experience with the Tesla Service centers or their fine staff? Do you even own a car? Fine, we get it, it's not something you would do, but it obviously makes sense for an awful lot of people here. Just because one person got screwed - ONE PERSON -- by a clearly mis-informed SC employee does not automatically make Tesla the evil monster you keep making it out to be. Please go buy another Mercedes Benz if you're so happy with them, because it seems like you really hate Tesla Motors.

When I took my car in for its first annual inspection (which only cost me $475), they had the car for two days. It was a day before I was leaving on a 3000 mile road trip. That $475 was worth every penny knowing they went over the car with a fine-tooth comb making sure everything was in top operating function.

Yikes. I am a big fan of Tesla and Elon and this is the first time I've been libeled with the term a "TSLA Short-Shill." I am sure you got your $475 worth for your services and assuming you plan to keep your car for 4 years that's the way to go in paying for services. If you are leasing a car for 3 years though that option makes little sense as you are required to pay for 4 services up front to get the pricing you got.

You are welcome to check my post history and I generally want everyone to be treated with fairness and I get upset when that is not the case. If something seems unfair I call it out and though I am huge Tesla fan I feel they will be a better and stronger brand treating customers fairly. I am sure you will agree than in this case someone was not treated fairly. Coming from the Mercedes world, I am sensitive to how service departments gouge customers but some of these service costs are actually higher.

And I would certainly not consider it "hyperbole" or irrelevant that we could service our Mercedes with a V8 engine on some years for under $200 as it required little more than an oil change on certain years. I am pointing out a fact and that is that an EV should cost less to maintain than a premium gasoline car. Others have chimed in to say that they agree and some others have chimed in to say that their BMW or other premium car had cost less to service on certain years than the $600 Tesla charges regardless of what amount of work they do.

I have an immense amount of respect for you and what you do for the community and I feel bad that you feel so strongly against me :(

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a huge supporter of Tesla, have multi-year experience with Tesla Service both under warranty and post warranty, and this seems like a one-off to me. It's not how Tesla has done business with me (and we're all speaking from personal experience).

I was bothered enough that I escalated it up the food chain the moment I read it last night. MsElectric, you'd be right to be so upset IF this kind of story was a constant drumbeat. But to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time someone has reported this. And certainly by the reaction of many here with Tesla Service, it's easy to see this must be an anomaly.

For those who are worried what this will mean to them when their car is no longer under warranty, I remind you of a frequently forgotten fact: Model S is not the first car that Tesla has produced. Roadster owners, for the most part (exception being CPO and extended warranty purchases) are no longer under warranty. Go to the Roadster section of the forum. No one is complaining. In fact, there are stories (many recent) of Tesla Service going above and beyond to drive costs down.

I appreciate more context on this matter and I am glad to hear that Roadster owners are being treated fairly. My only concern here is in ensuring that Tesla does not become a car dealer -- or even worse -- with how they charge customers for service and repairs. It seems what was posted is an anomaly and I hope they refund the $600 the customer was overcharged and have a "talk" with whoever at the Service Center that caused this to ensure customers are treated more fairly in the future.

Yikes. I am a big fan of Tesla and Elon and this is the first time I've been libeled with the term a "TSLA Short-Shill.

If something seems unfair I call it out and though I am huge Tesla fan I feel they will be a better and stronger brand treating customers fairly.

And I would certainly not consider it "hyperbole"

But if you look at your last statements (see bolded parts):

I didn't realize this is possible but Tesla has managed to make a Mercedes Dealer seem like they are darn reasonable and cheap.

Don't even think of owning a Model S out of warranty if this keeps up.

These are wide, blanket generalizations (slams) of the entire Tesla organization based on a single, local SC experience. That's hyperbole. If taken out of context, by say SeekingAlpha or other "short" organizations, blog, or press, they could really cause Tesla harm if this is what a self-proclaimed "huge fan of Elon and Tesla" is saying about them.

And the comment about owning a Model S out of warranty doesn't even apply here, since none of this was a warranty issue or repair. So why slam Tesla again that way? Do you see what I'm saying here? You're so quick to slam Tesla here several different ways, when it really was the result of one mis-trained employee.

This is the issue I have with most of your posts, whether it's about the Service Centers, the Service Plan, or even the 21" rims.. none of which you actually have any personal experience with. Of course, you're free to post your opinions about things, but you continue to post like you are an owner (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've asked several times and you never seem to confirm that).

For instance, you've posted many many times about how bad the 21" rims are in the NY area. I live in the NY metro area also, and I have personal experience with the 21" rims driving all around NY, NJ and CT (and even to Chicago and back). I haven't had *any* problems with them at all. And I've hit quite a few potholes too, including one massive sink hole up in Chester, NY that I thought for sure was going to kill both wheels on that side.. but yet, there was *no damage* at all, not even a bend (and my car was fully loaded with 5 adults). Sure, other people may have had different experiences, but when I come across your posts about the 21" rims, you make it sound like if you run over a pebble they're going to be trashed. It's just not true. And yet, you don't actually have any experience with those rims! So why do you make it sound like you do *every time* someone makes a comment about 21" vs 19" rims? It seems like you have an axe to grind, or several. Same with the service centers and the service plan. Until you have a car, and go in for service, and see the service records and talk with the managers and technicians about what they are actually doing when a car is in for service (and how they usually go above and beyond what is required), I really don't think you can comment/compare to your MB dealer or the costs.

All of the inspections that they performed were done by the Acura dealer during the last $35 oil change they did.

While this maybe an isolated incident, someone gave the service adviser this direction. In addition there aren't a ton of cars out there with this amount of mileage, and even fewer that have 'skipped' the annual service. While it may be eventually righted by Tesla, they need to do a far better job disseminating information. They need to make it clear that its a 12,500 mile service, not an annual service.

Tesla also needs to actually get their service costs lower $600 a year is way more than many other luxury makes.

there aren't a ton of cars out there with this amount of mileage, and even fewer that have 'skipped' the annual service.

prime example: me. almost at 70k miles only had 1 service at around 48k miles. and I've skipped about two more since and just stopped in very recently for a tire rotation. they don't make me "pay for retroactive service visits". If I had that would have cost me at least $2400 instead of that one $600 I was billed for.

It actually has value if/when they uncover anything that might need repair or replacement before they fail and leave you stranded. It's not just a $600 oil change and brake flush.
I'm picking up my car tomorrow and the service package is obviously something that needs a decision. From what I read about the service package, identifying a problem might not be the same thing as 'covering and repairing' the problem... unless still on warranty. The list of what will be replaced/repaired under the service agreement has limitations. Is that a fair comment, based on experiences of owners with the service contract?

I'm also 350 km from the nearest service center, on the other side of a mountain pass (more of a winter consideration). Would the value (to me) of the service package change given the distance and time involved?

FWIW, I've never escaped a Benz service on the light side of $200. Even some warranty work has cost me... the last time was "The oil leak soaked this solenoid and our experience tells us that will cause it to fail... but it hasn't failed yet so M-B won't cover it. If it quits and you're still on warranty, that's good, but if it fails outside of warranty, it's a full days work to get to it. If you want us to fix it now, the part is $250..."

If you're planning to keep the car and the warranty is running out soon, you obviously hold your nose and pay the $250. I paid it, but I shouldn't have as the Benz is now up for sale, not too many km's later. My mistake - I was silly enough to test drive the Model S... but these things happen...!