Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance Service Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car yesterday and I need to make a decision if I want to buy the service plan or not. My initial thought is to skip it, just take it in every couple of years or 25k miles and pay the $600.00. But after reading this, I can do the same thing with a service contract - at a cheaper price. I can use the 4 year service plan over 7 or 8 years at $475.00 per service. Is that a correct understanding? Does the 4 year "annual" service contract expire in 4 years?

Thanks.

I would recommend you contact Tesla and let them tell you whether what you are contemplating would be allowed or not. Although I have presented the email I received from Jerome at the request of the community, I wouldn't want anyone to rely on this email without first confirming with someone else at Tesla.

AmpedRealator,

Already fired off an email to the DS, maybe will go higher. Just wanted to see if my understanding of the email you posted (thank you for that) is the same as people on here. I understand this is just a forum of owners an enthusiasts, and as such doesn't represent Tesla motors.

My understanding is that you get 4 pre-paid inspection visits. You are free to use them whenever you want. No mileage or time limit. If you bought the 8 year plan, you have 8 pre-paid visits you can use anytime you want.

DS got back to me and said the 4 year annual contract has to be used within 4 years - it will expire after 4 years. So if I bring in the car every 18 months, I can only use 2 of the 4 that I have paid for - making the price $950/visit. So for me I think I will just pay for it every time I go in - it is cheaper.

DS got back to me and said the 4 year annual contract has to be used within 4 years - it will expire after 4 years. So if I bring in the car every 18 months, I can only use 2 of the 4 that I have paid for - making the price $950/visit. So for me I think I will just pay for it every time I go in - it is cheaper.
Thanks for that. Was there any mileage condition? ( or unlimited miles during the year)

I got the opposite answer:

"I’m sorry for just now getting back to you! I just talk to a service advisor and he said basically what Jerome said in the e-mail you cited. If you pre-pay for a 4 year service plan, you are entitled to 4 checkups regardless of miles. Now you have it in writing incase anything happens!"

I got the opposite answer:

"I’m sorry for just now getting back to you! I just talk to a service advisor and he said basically what Jerome said in the e-mail you cited. If you pre-pay for a 4 year service plan, you are entitled to 4 checkups regardless of miles. Now you have it in writing incase anything happens!"

I read that answer as " unlimited miles WITHIN 4 years". Since it is worded as a 4 year service plan.

That's just how it started out originally and people still refer to it as that (since it's still what TM recommends), but I don't think it really means "years" anymore -- it just means "pre-paid bundle."

that's how I view it. Just wish Tesla would update their wording for the prepaid plan. Someone in the U.S. was told those visits expired after 4 years. That is why I am concerned since I have the prepaid plan. Will see if I can find that thread.

-----update---

This is the thread where an owner was told he will lose the prepaid visits since they were not used annually :
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/47315-Change-of-Policy-on-Tesla-Ranger-Service posts 73-75

Last edited:
If it has nothing to do with the number of years and can be used after the 4 years then perhaps they should update the fine print and rename it to the "4 Prepaid Service Visit Pack" or something similar.

That would make all the sense in the world but then how can we have these super exciting weekly discussions about what this package actually means when everything is clearly clarified and there is no mystery? :rolleyes:

I contacted my service advisor to schedule my 2nd annual service appointment. I have the pre-paid plan. My anniversary date is August 23rd. I have 30,000 miles on the car. He told me that it would be no problem to bring the car in annually, regardless of mileage, and that ignoring the mileage stipulation would have no negative impact on my extended warranty. Granted, this is in contradiction to what is stated in the extended warranty written language/contract, but this very clearly appears to be a change in Tesla policy.

I am comfortable following the advice of my service advisor, which mirrors what Jerome has said. I do not believe this will invalidate our extended warranties based on what I was told by service, but I leave that up to each individual to decide for themselves.

My understanding is that you get 4 pre-paid inspection visits. You are free to use them whenever you want. No mileage or time limit. If you bought the 8 year plan, you have 8 pre-paid visits you can use anytime you want.
And my understanding of the plain language of the Extended Service Agreement is if you don't follow the 12,500 mile interval or one year interval, whichever comes first, the ESA is void. Read it. Far too many of you are taking assurances from emails from some Tesla exec, or verbal assurances from service center people, neither of these having the authority to waive contractual terms of the ESA (which is a CONTRACT not a warranty). That's a recipe for disappointment.

Tesla could solve this by making an official policy statement and modifying language in the ESA and the Prepaid Service Agreements.

And my understanding of the plain language of the Extended Service Agreement is if you don't follow the 12,500 mile interval or one year interval, whichever comes first, the ESA is void. Read it. Far too many of you are taking assurances from emails from some Tesla exec, or verbal assurances from service center people, neither of these having the authority to waive contractual terms of the ESA (which is a CONTRACT not a warranty). That's a recipe for disappointment.

Tesla could solve this by making an official policy statement and modifying language in the ESA and the Prepaid Service Agreements.

Maybe someone should ask for clarification of this in an Earnings Call :)

I agree with this. It would be great for Tesla motors folks to say absolutely nothing about this as there is a contract that specifies everything. The confusion is not created by the contract, but by statements/e-mails from Tesla employees and anecdotes from people who took their cars in.

It seems like Tesla wants you to buy the service agreement but recognizes that the agreement, as it is, isn't worth what they want for it (at least to me). So employees jump in and say/e-mail how this is actually a better service than what the contract states. But at the end of the day, you are signing a contract that is binding and you can't tell Tesla they need to abide by some terms that is not specified in the contract.

So I have decided to take the car in every couple of years and pay $600.00. But then again, Tesla may raise that price to something else, or even refuse to do a flat fee and just charge hourly rates for some pre-set time - say 8 hours at $150.00. Not having an option to take it somewhere else, I will have to pony up whatever they want.

Sigh... I thought the hardest part was spending $90 grand on a car. That was the easy part.

The hardest part is figuring out how to save $125.00 on service per year! (and I thought pilots were cheap. Tesla owners are even cheaper! Including me :))

Perhaps because most people didn't find themselves in a position to own a Tesla by being reckless with or wasting money for no reason :)

Funny. I do find my spending habits and mind set have changed due to the tesla. Not to the extreme of coupon clipping, but paying attention to things I buy. Every time I pass by a gas station, I cringe lol. Gas around here is 4.29 for premium. I had average 400-500 in gas a month! Love the Tesla. Would love it more if I can get 350 range out of it like my Lexus GS. Less time needing to twiddle my thumbs at charging station.