Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doctor Venkman - you bring up the various reasons i dont like the FWDs. I used to own one and hit my head on them in my garage too many times! and they are slow to open if all i want to do is toss groceries in the back seat. Yes, i certainly see why folks who use child seats would prefer them and that the opened FWDs look cool. I find it interesting that all the MXs in my neighborhood park outside in front of their garages. Have never seen one pull out of a garage. Yes, it may be that the garages are full with stuff, but i suspect some park outside just so the FWDs arent as much a hassle. IF FWDS were such a great sales generator, why has NO OTHER SUV on the market adopted them? I think Teslas sales of MX would triple if they got rid of them! there are plenty of other bells and whistles Tesla can add with the refreshed MX to generate sales. Also, removing the FWDs from the design would lower the cost of manufacture/price of the MX, and also add to the headroom in second row and lighten the interior by having a glass roof like the MY.

Last edited:
If it’s cheaper and easier (read:more profit) for Tesla to build the next gen X without FWD’s, they will. The doors served their purpose and created a buzz around the brand when it needed the publicity. Plenty of customers would line up to buy a non FWD X, losing a small minority of customers who wouldn’t buy one without them isn’t going to worry Tesla too much.

The reality is that Tesla’s priority is selling vehicles in large numbers, and therefore they will focus all efforts on the 3 and Y.

Just to add - the reason people will continue to buy the X regardless of FWD’s or not, is that there is no compelling alternative for a large EV SUV with a robust charging network. I can get two large 90lb dogs in the back of my X, I couldn’t do that with a Y.

Once an alternate charging network that can compete with the Superchargers exist, it will be a different story and I would cross shop other brands. So when I come to change, I will get another X with or without FWD’s (even though I do think they are very cool).

If it’s cheaper and easier (read:more profit) for Tesla to build the next gen X without FWD’s, they will. The doors served their purpose and created a buzz around the brand when it needed the publicity. Plenty of customers would line up to buy a non FWD X, losing a small minority of customers who wouldn’t buy one without them isn’t going to worry Tesla too much.

The reality is that Tesla’s priority is selling vehicles in large numbers, and therefore they will focus all efforts on the 3 and Y.

If they wanted to go the cheap & practical route, they would’ve built the Model X minivan. Sliding doors are infinitely more practical and lower cost than either FWDs or traditional auto doors. But low cost and practicality aren’t priority 1 —- and thank goodness for that.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thinking about it a bit more, the FWD would be less of a hassle if I lived in a less urban area. Living in LA, I often have to park in tight garages where the FWD barely open half way. Or I have to parallel park on the side of a busy street and don't want my door to get clipped off while it's slowly opening into traffic. Or I have to visit a higher-crime neighborhood and don't want to attract attention to myself. Or I park at a windy beach and the doors refuse to latch. It would be a much different story if I lived somewhere quieter with more space.

In a more rural setting they are also a liability IMO. You can't put a roof rack on them for a ski box, or bikes or anything a normal SUV can do. Plus they make you look like a rich city person, when all most people who own Teslas in rural areas want to do is blend in and drive a capable electric vehicle. It's a conundrum. The Model Y doesn't have the range or the ground clearance to do what we need here. And Model X due to its doors is also a turn off. So we use our Model S like a Subaru. If Model S had more capable air suspension (like the i-Pace) it would be perfect for us frankly.

I assume you mean so the seat can fold flat, right? I don’t see why that’s not possible on the monopod ... that would be best of all worlds in my book. Monopod seat whose back can fold down and make a flat “floor” with the 3rd row.
Yes this. would totally rip out the 60 side on our 7 seater middle row if I could buy an opposing 40 to keep the fold flat and still have 6 seat

Just to add - the reason people will continue to buy the X regardless of FWD’s or not, is that there is no compelling alternative for a large EV SUV with a robust charging network. I can get two large 90lb dogs in the back of my X, I couldn’t do that with a Y.

Once an alternate charging network that can compete with the Superchargers exist, it will be a different story and I would cross shop other brands. So when I come to change, I will get another X with or without FWD’s (even though I do think they are very cool).

This is the reason we have a 7 seater on order. What setup do you use for the pups? Do you have a picture?

Yes this. would totally rip out the 60 side on our 7 seater middle row if I could buy an opposing 40 to keep the fold flat and still have 6 seat

100% agreed! I have the 6-seater and do wish the seats would fold flat. Not sure why Tesla's never gone there... seems easy enough to hinge the seatback and retain the monopod mount. Monopods rock, pretty hard. They'd just rock even more if the seat goes flat and I can slide that nice 77" OLED in there from Best Buy. ;-)

ha.... Just thought exactly of that the other day when trying to pickup a 70" TV from Best Buy. End up having them ship it instead, can't fit into the back no matter how creative I try. That was in Nov when I was using my '16 X 6-seater.

Come a week ago, I picked up our '21 X 5-seater in Nov, and I was moving a 70" TV to my give to my parents, fold the seats flat, and TV fits perfectly. 5-seater FTW.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: pilotSteve
Out of curiosity what would you buy if they removed the FWD? There really isn't much competition in the 7-seat BEV market, which is why I bought the model X despite my reservations about the FWD.

Excellent question, and the point many have made. I've thought of doing a conversion of a suburban or an escalade, that might work. But of course as we've all said, there isn't much out there!

And the above is based on what? I have a 2020 X and in 2-3 years when it will be time to replace I would buy another X - if it still has the FWD. If not I will look elsewhere. Actually before the X my wife wanted the new Lincoln Aviator PHEV - but the battery was too small. I suspect in 2-3 years there will be a lot more options. As to the person complaining about garage ceilings - I have 10' ceilings and a garage @35' wide - non issue. Nor is it a problem anywhere else I go. The convenience of the FWD's though is great. Picking up kids - easy to open the doors - and when approaching. Nice to have the drivers door automatically open and close by simply touching the brake pedal. Removing FWD's would be a step backwards. The competition is coming and ALL of them will NOT have FWD's. So why get rid of a unique distinguishing feature? Which I suspect the majority like.

FWDs are probably the number one reason why Xs go to warranty repairs, so if they do stay in the long run the business case has to be pretty strong for Tesla. I love the X and the doors, but the sensor mess required to keep them going in the long run is unreal.

On the other hand, Elon does not always admit being wrong, so the FWDs might survive even if they are bad for the business.

Reactions: Lobstahz
And the above is based on what? I have a 2020 X and in 2-3 years when it will be time to replace I would buy another X - if it still has the FWD. If not I will look elsewhere. Actually before the X my wife wanted the new Lincoln Aviator PHEV - but the battery was too small. I suspect in 2-3 years there will be a lot more options. As to the person complaining about garage ceilings - I have 10' ceilings and a garage @35' wide - non issue. Nor is it a problem anywhere else I go. The convenience of the FWD's though is great. Picking up kids - easy to open the doors - and when approaching. Nice to have the drivers door automatically open and close by simply touching the brake pedal. Removing FWD's would be a step backwards. The competition is coming and ALL of them will NOT have FWD's. So why get rid of a unique distinguishing feature? Which I suspect the majority like.

The fact of the matter is no one has any evidence one way or the other whether "most people" prefer normal or FWD - all they have is their own opinion. Clearly there are valid points on both sides and it comes down to your personal circumstances and what things you value.

Also, I'm jealous that you consider a 10' garage ceiling to be low! What luxury. Come back to me when you try to park in a 8' garage with pipes and HVAC hanging off the ceiling above all the parking spots. In my experience it's 50/50 whether or not the FWD will open more than half way in garages here in central LA. If you're lucky they open 75% and you might get a chance to hit your head going past them.

Reactions: dmurphy
FWDs are probably the number one reason why Xs go to warranty repairs, so if they do stay in the long run the business case has to be pretty strong for Tesla. I love the X and the doors, but the sensor mess required to keep them going in the long run is unreal.

On the other hand, Elon does not always admit being wrong, so the FWDs might survive even if they are bad for the business.

I doubt that falcon wing doors are the number one cause of repairs for model x's. Although, you are certainly right about Elon not wanting to admit he's wrong!

I was just thinking, Tesloop kept meticulous records of all repairs to their vehicles. I wonder if they allow that data to be public? It would certainly give us an idea as they've got millions of miles on tesla's.