Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Killowatts is just a Tesla fanboy page. That is not his Y and is simply posting information that was passed to him from an un-named source (commonly referred to as a leak).

Edit. In your link someone even asked him if these are being delivered already and he replied "I wish we knew". So that is not a delivery model, but a pre-delivery sitting at the Freemont facility (also has no temp tag on it). Video is pretty much guaranteed to have come from a factory worker. So again, if a factory worker can get a video of a Model Y heated steering wheel, Im damn sure they could get a video of X without FWDs or Plaid drivetrain.
I wonder if the steering wheel should be red instead to have a button changing to read when activated?

ErfnoZBVgAAki7k

Again no. it's never been like that. The homepoge comes after, if at all, depending on what they did...
Its a mixed bag. There are many instances of homepage coming first. The Model Y SR release, the S/X cream interior, the S/X range increase, the 3 P- release, addition and removal of FUSC, ect. There are many times were people first knew about a Tesla change due to the website updates.

Because they have no press office?

No, but they did release a video on Youtube of the 7 seat Y, so there are ways to communicate if they want.

So thinking less and less changes. That's OK if all they were going to do was get rid of the verticle screen and go 'Tesla Minimal' with no Binacle. Read between the lines, X owners don't want a single screen as much as Tesla wants them to have 1. Sure better at Netflix while charging and better when FSD is a real thing as don't have to monitor speed, and those around. But we don't have FSD. It's getting better, but not there. Could be years, really, before have state approval, even if Tesla says it's ready. Sure Beta look very good. But we are not there.

Put it this way. We are 3 hours from SC. Wife asked how long before she can tell the car " go to Mineapolis SC and get fixed, come home once done". I just laughed....

Also, kind of wish knew if getting de-chromed. This is TOTALLY PERSONAL, but if have chrome, I like grey. W/O chrome, grey is to me just too plain and dark. Would then do blue. We even switched our order from grey to blue Sunday thinking this was going to happen.

Have our first test drive scheduled for this Saturday, so get to see the existing colors in person. Again, color and chrome is personal, but hard to make decision when not sure what car is going to look like in '8-12 weeks'.

Reactions: jb401
According to teslacpo.io, there are under 30 X's in the USA. Shouldn't take long to sell. And if you watch at all, you KNOW there was a shut down. So either buy now or be surprised. Car I ordered doesn't exist (LR+, 5 pass, Blue, Tan int, 20 rims, no FSD). I am waiting ...

Yeah, and a couple hundred in Europe. The numbers are going down, fair to expect more information at zero.

Also, kind of wish knew if getting de-chromed. This is TOTALLY PERSONAL, but if have chrome, I like grey. W/O chrome, grey is to me just too plain and dark. Would then do blue. We even switched our order from grey to blue Sunday thinking this was going to happen.
I put all my marbles on the square that there will be no more chrome. Talk of a total remake that includes removal of FWDs seems silly to me. But incremental change is what Tesla does. And eliminating the chrome is an easy one and consistent with their design changes to other models.

I am of the age demographic that sometimes says “I like chrome”.... but not on the model X. It took me a few years to come around, but now I prefer all colors with the black trim.

Have asked a handful of Chicago area advisors and service people over the last week and no one said they knew anything. Fun part of this is how impatient we all are :)

I took delivery of a '21MX a month ago...now also have an order in, just in case...

Who is AlternateJones. There is really ZERO info in that twitter feed. Just says refresh in March. Doesn't help.

I will add, Tesla does need to do something to the S/X in my mind. Looks really nice, but they charge the most but it's not the most advanced with 3/Y having newer 2170 cells and heat pump with octovalving. If going to be using 4680s in quantity later this summer, I'm hoping the pilot line has enough capacity to meet all S/X production numbers now. That would all a smaller # of cars to get out before switching 3/Y and Cyber to them when will need LOTS of cells.

They have this huge, years long lead. Can't let the competition catch up. And they are coming, slowly, at the 3/Y atleast. And Lucid at the S and Rivian at the Cyber and X. Don't wait for the Air and R1S to be out, bury them NOW.

Just wishing for 4680 as this doesn't match the reddit leak from last month that said no 4680s though.

This is fun :)

Last edited:
Doesn't the timeline seem like they are SLOWLY ramping up something? Just dropped from 8-12 to 7-11, so USA getting cars in March. Is this normal for how works with Europe? Before Dec. shutdown, wait was 3-5 weeks, so a month. Can't believe they are going to make cars for Jan->Feb all for Europe. Is the S/X market there that big anymore since the 3 is over there? Seems like a slow ramp back into production. Can't afford to loose Jan and Feb sales and expect have a good 1st quarter sales # for no reason.

Remember going to need all sales for 2021 to help our TSLA stock as 500,000 number will be expected to be 750,000+ and Cyber seems to be a little delayed from initial summer release now. Sure China is scaling nice, but don't think can slow poke the S/X without a reason as every sale helps.

I bet something is changing so can explain the Year->Year sales loss numbers the S/X will experience if not shipping much in Jan/Feb.

• Informative
Reactions: tierneyalvin
That would all a smaller # of cars to get out before switching 3/Y and Cyber to them when will need LOTS of cells.
I would tend to agree that you will see the 4680's first on the S/X. And I would think this would be one of the first major changes. I doubt changing the battery would have a huge impact on the safety aspects and testing but not 100% sure.

It's not just 3/Y that use the 2170's but also the Powerwalls and Powerpacks too. In fact the way they manufacture the battery packs for all four 2170 use cases is intertwined. So if you want to make a change for one of those then you are going to impact them all or take the one out of the packaging process. This is a big deal for Tesla and one of the reasons they can be so efficient when creating the battery packs with Panasonic at the NV GF.

I would tend to agree that you will see the 4680's first on the S/X. And I would think this would be one of the first major changes. I doubt changing the battery would have a huge impact on the safety aspects and testing but not 100% sure.

It's not just 3/Y that use the 2170's but also the Powerwalls and Powerpacks too. In fact the way they manufacture the battery packs for all four 2170 use cases is intertwined. So if you want to make a change for one of those then you are going to impact them all or take the one out of the packaging process. This is a big deal for Tesla and one of the reasons they can be so efficient when creating the battery packs with Panasonic at the NV GF.

How could changing out to a foundational, structural battery pack NOT have a huge impact on safety? Being part of the vehicle structure would require all safety testing to be done over again, from scratch.

I really don't think it's happening yet. That's down the road a bit.

Would be happy to eat my words if I'm wrong, but I think it's too soon for the 4680's.

Reactions: skybluecgreen
How could changing out to a foundational, structural battery pack NOT have a huge impact on safety? Being part of the vehicle structure would require all safety testing to be done over again, from scratch.
I suspect that if they could keep the tray physically and structurally the same then it could be just a substitute component. But as I said it depends on how they engineer it.

If they focused primarily on having it perform structurally like the current packs then it could probably be a minimal change. But if they focus on the best the pack could be electrically then I agree with you, it would probably change the structure greatly and that would necessitate a fairly significant reengineering and safety tests. That would be a big deal and not something we would see in a few weeks or months.

But also don't forget the first Model X's were out for almost 2 years without being crash tested. Tesla had done the simulations and thought they would get 5 stars which they did in real life, but they put a lot of cars on the road, mine included, without passing the tests up front.

I suspect that if they could keep the tray physically and structurally the same then it could be just a substitute component.

Well, issue #1 there is the new cells are 1.5cm taller than the 18650s. The innards of the new pack will be wildly different; not sure if that changes the thickness of the accumulator plate etc - but assume a small change there too.

overall, 2cm doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s over 3/4” in height difference. So either the floor goes up in the X, or the structure goes down. Now everything is off - your suspension, your aerodynamics, your body panels - absolutely everything.

It sounds minor but it really isn’t ... especially for a component as integral to the vehicle as that.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus