Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know how many KWH hours the new MX LR has? If its 90 then doesn't this mean Tesla will release a 100 KWH LR+ next year (probably for the same price and drop the price on the current model) with about 400 miles of range? Its maddening that Tesla spreads out the feature introduction like this and doesn't offer the best cars their basic technology clearly supports today.

In another thread @Artful Dodger pointed out that Tesla announced that they increased S&X production capacity from 90k/year to 100k/year. (or ~11%) That lines up perfectly with decreasing the pack size from 100kWh to 90kWh. So it appears that they optimized drag, weight, etc. which allowed them to reduce the pack size by 10%, which then allows them to produce ~11% more S&X vehicles with the same number of 18650 cells that Panasonic can supply them with.

Last edited:
Fellow Pre-Announce Depositors:

I propose we stick together, make noise and hold Tesla responsible for a very clear “bait and switch” tactic in direct violation of the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act.

bait and switch

Tesla should do the right thing here. We can’t be talking about more than $1M in lost revenue by matching the price. And clearly the people who put down a $100 deposit for a rumored refresh are Tesla super-fans. Is that really the audience Tesla wants to fraudulently deceive? Seems ripe for a plaintiffs litigation firm to profit from.

When did doing the right thing become so hard for Tesla?

Let’s stick together and demand the price Tesla promised?

I cancelled my order today. As others have pointed out, the order agreement allows them to pull this dirty trick since they named this a different model. But how ridiculous - it's clearly the same model but the newer version. Other car companies announce a new model and when you go in to by the car you either have the option to order the new model or they will look up existing inventory to see if any current models are available. I wasted a bunch of money getting a wall charger installed and even if I remove it I now have a big hole in my wall for an electrical panel that had to be installed to accommodate the charger. I'm pissed about this. Can't wait until there are more EV options. Tesla sucks for customer service and it'll come back to bite them if they don't change their way, IMHO.

I cancelled my order today. As others have pointed out, the order agreement allows them to pull this dirty trick since they named this a different model. But how ridiculous - it's clearly the same model but the newer version. Other car companies announce a new model and when you go in to by the car you either have the option to order the new model or they will look up existing inventory to see if any current models are available. I wasted a bunch of money getting a wall charger installed and even if I remove it I now have a big hole in my wall for an electrical panel that had to be installed to accommodate the charger. I'm pissed about this. Can't wait until there are more EV options. Tesla sucks for customer service and it'll come back to bite them if they don't change their way, IMHO.

sorry about your experience, but I personally would be glad to get $2k off this new model. To each his own.

In another thread @Artful Dodger pointed out that Tesla announced that they increased S&X production capacity from 90k/year to 100k/year. (or ~11%) That lines up perfectly with decreasing the pack size from 100kWh to 90kWh. So it appears that they optimized drag, weight, etc. which allowed them to reduce the pack size by 10%, which then allows them to produce ~11% more S&X vehicles with the same number of 18650 cells that Panasonic can supply them with.
Panasonic announced they increased the energy density of their cells by 5% late last year. They could reduce the pack size 10% and the kWh by 5% and increase production capacity 10-11%. I've heard the 90kWh though, which may be right. I was hoping they would be moving to 4680 and my X on order would be getting over 400 miles. A little bummed about 360, but they tend to increase the range after each new car is in production for a while. Software limits on early builds tend to reduce the range as the battery controls are optimized, which I think they do to ensure the long term integrity of the battery cells.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I guess the opinion on FWD is pretty divided. Personally, without FWD I would rather buy a model Y. Yes it might not be the most practical, but that's what makes model X cool, kind of the X factor (pun intended).

Maybe the doors should have two operating modes: FWD without roof rack, and suicide when roof rack is attached? Now THAT would be worth showing off and would make a great Xmas dance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz and Cowby
I highly doubt it. EU S/X deliveries are showing September at the moment.

Europe already got promised march deliveries when Q42020 deliveries came short due to refresh factory halt, thus the first batch would be going to EU. Nevertheless, I believe they're going to miss march (at least for the X) so probably September is closer to the truth.

Last edited:
I don't disagree since they let us order at old prices when they knew what was coming but they are within their rights to change the final pricing. Personally I'd be happy with including unlimited supercharging since I'm giving that up to upgrade.

Haha.. where I live there are no Superchargers, and I was looking forward to "never going to a gas station again" ... ;)

I think that wanting to get a "normal" non-yoke steering wheel ignors the fact that this car is intended to do the steering. The yoke is only needed as a secondary device. We're heading to a new world, like it or not. Of course you can still buy a Ford. I just hope they get it all perfected before my kids come for my keys!

One of my favourite Tesla features is the driving experience. It would be an absolute shame to throw that away. The Model S and X driver profile will be MUCH less inclined to use FSD or Autopilot in general than any other Tesla clientele. I am open to change (I wouldn't be looking at Teslas if I wasn't) but only if it improves something. There's nothing wrong or missing with the shape of a regular steering wheel. The FSD crew won't care about the fact that the steering wheel hasn't changed, but those actually driving the car will.

I think that wanting to get a "normal" non-yoke steering wheel ignors the fact that this car is intended to do the steering. The yoke is only needed as a secondary device. We're heading to a new world, like it or not. Of course you can still buy a Ford. I just hope they get it all perfected before my kids come for my keys!

Ridiculous perspective, how do you think the car is going to propel itself 0-60 in under 2 seconds? No way. If you go all in FSD, you could as well get the new Mercedes EQA with a 8-second 0-60 time. You can plug comma.ai to it, or whatever.

I think it's quite paradoxal that Tesla is making "driver's cars" like Plaid+ and offering FSD. Well, when FSD can drive my kids to school and hobbies without me in the car then yes I can let them use the Plaid+ (or +++ by that time when FSD is legal in EU) on FSD but otherwise I'm driving.

Last edited:
or if you are in the garage grabbing something out the back seat and you hit the pedal by accident.
or if you are sitting at a stop light and the large truck rolls back into you - will the car know to go backwards or forwards.
or if pulled up into your garage too far (blocking the workbench cabinet) will it know you want to back up two inches.

I could go on and on but smart people probably already have this covered somehow...

"Tesla is not responsible for the user pressing the pedals in error" - SUA

or if pulled up into your garage too far (blocking the workbench cabinet) will it know you want to back up two inches.
No it won't. But that is a non-issue, as this is the 1 out of 50 scenario, with the other49 times you want to leave the garage. So given you want to use your workbench this one time, sit in, tab REAR on the screen, and back up. Still takes less manipulation than any other car.

I am a bit more concerned about the 'emergency back up' situation with the truck, if it occurs early when you are getting used to the car. Once adapted, again, I expect drivers to do that blind.

If I may ask, why did you cancel? Why not let the order stand and see what happens? Did you get a letter you can share?

Does the yoke steering wheel mean that FSD will be released (finally) to the masses and not just a select few (as is now)?

True FSD (as in level 4 autonomy) will not exist for at least 10 years. Until then we will just have varying degrees of driver assistance. Don't believe the hype - Tesla has been saying FSD is just around the corner for years now. Remember when Elon said there was going to be a fully autonomous trip from NYC to LA by 2017? It seems a bit premature to be taking control interfaces out of the car.

True FSD (as in level 4 autonomy) will not exist for at least 10 years. Until then we will just have varying degrees of driver assistance. Don't believe the hype - Tesla has been saying FSD is just around the corner for years now. Remember when Elon said there was going to be a fully autonomous trip from NYC to LA by 2017? It seems a bit premature to be taking control interfaces out of the car.

so you're saying in 2019 when I paid $7k for FSD solely because the website stated "steering on city streets will be available by the end of the year", I was misled? :D

FSD is 10% functional - which means you're effectively giving Tesla thousands of $ for nothing more than being able to brag to other people about how you paid for FSD.

so you're saying in 2019 when I paid $7k for FSD solely because the website stated "steering on city streets will be available by the end of the year", I was misled? :D

FSD is 10% functional - which means you're effectively giving Tesla thousands of $ for nothing more than being able to brag to other people about how you paid for FSD.

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against Tesla at this point. How many thousands of people paid for FSD back in 2016-2017 and still haven't gotten anything out of it besides a gimmicky summon and auto lane change?

If I may ask, why did you cancel? Why not let the order stand and see what happens? Did you get a letter you can share?

I may have jumped the gun a bit since I was pretty pissed about the situation. But also I'm in Canada and the deposit is $2500 so I didn't want to just leave that money with Tesla considering I think it's highly unlikely they will change their stance. At best there are 5000 people in this situation and most probably won't raise a stink about it, so Tesla probably considers the upsides and downsides and is fine with a small group of us being pissed since the alternative is going to cost them tens of millions from their profits. Unless there was a legal case raised, which I don't think there will be, I don't see Tesla changing their stance here. There are reports that these are selling like hot cakes so they will still sell out even if some of us cancel. They don't see us cancelling as much of a loss.