Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, none of them can see what is directly in front of the car. (Like a parking stop curb.)
Agreed. They need a camera right in the nose of the car to do a useful 360 when you can see the curb in front of the car. Seems like something that would be something trivial. A bird's-eye 360 view and a HUD are the 2 things that should be at the top of Tesla's list of additions.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Agreed. They need a camera right in the nose of the car to do a useful 360 when you can see the curb in front of the car. Seems like something that would be something trivial. A bird's-eye 360 view and a HUD are the 2 things that should be at the top of Tesla's list of additions.

I believe they can calculate everything necessary with their new "surround 4D vision". Some camera must see the curb (in each direction) before arriving at it, and the computer can calculate it's position when out-of-view. How else is FSD going to park safely?

If they don't have the exact image, they could display something similar to what the existing parking assist systems do:

AU-OCT-parkassist-2.jpg

I suspect it would mess up the aesthetics and aero of Franz's design... (Especially if they put a camera washer system on it.)

It shouldn't. On cars I have had bird's eye view, the camera lens is smaller than your pinky fingernail, shaped about the same, and protrudes just barely from the surface of the body. It did not have a washer system but are easy to wipe off. And since it is just for the bird's eye view display continuous clarity is not key like the cameras used for self-drive.

Reactions: shinytop
Totally agree except Tesla COULD provide the 4680s much earlier for other cars - like a year from now. They choose not to just like Apple chooses not have FaceID on all iphones, etc. Tesla purposely spreads out upgrades to create refresh cycles like Apple does. But that’s their right and they’re very successful at it!
As Elon just said in his interview with Sandy, "changing to 4680's is like changing the tires on a moving bus going 80, without damaging the flow, financially." I don't think it was a casual choice. Hence Fremont and Shanghai are still using 2170's for 3/Y, and Giga Berlin, since they are starting from scratch, will be the first to make Tesla's with 4680.

I think sometimes we(including me)really take for granted the breakneck monumental pace that Tesla is on. It's a hell of a lot of plates at a breakneck monumental pace. Just sayin.

4F697F96-AFBB-421B-9FCB-FF3DADB389F8.png I posted this in the Yoke thread, but it is very curious to me that the Yoke is shown with the other “options” when you look at your build. See image. So it’s either optional or Tesla has a backup plan if it’s not approved (if it does need to be approved). Tesla is very deliberate and doesn’t typically make mistakes here...

4F697F96-AFBB-421B-9FCB-FF3DADB389F8.png

Newbie here...anyone in WA who had an "old" X on order? We ordered an LR on 1/23, and haven't gotten "the call" from the dealer yet about shifting our order to the LR+. I'm wondering if the WAC supposedly requiring a continuous round steering wheel means they're deferring the call on WA buyers until they get that sorted out.

In Wisconsin here, no call either. Ordered 1/3 and finished all details on 1/10, I think it was. Maybe no price increase for us? Ha

FYI, blue LR, 5 seat for most cargo space, tan int are options we are getting if that affects build order and why no one called us yet. Mine is similar to previous post but he has white int and 6 seat. 6 seater made before 5 as most $$$$ for Tesla?

Delivery has slipped 1 week to Feb 28-March 28. Don't believe that either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jlindo
Is it safe to estimate that R1S will force the Model X price closer to Model Y price?

i would have to agree with everything he said. Even without the federal rebate the price difference is very substantial and with the federal rebate the price difference is about $25k.

in my opinion, the only advantage the model x has is the supercharger network and possibly the service network. Although, the nearest service center from me is about 1.5 hours.

I also prefer the look, inside and out, of the rivian.

I hope that Tesla will be able to compete price wise with the rivian someday and still be able to make a good profit.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
View attachment 633758 I posted this in the Yoke thread, but it is very curious to me that the Yoke is shown with the other “options” when you look at your build. See image. So it’s either optional or Tesla has a backup plan if it’s not approved (if it does need to be approved). Tesla is very deliberate and doesn’t typically make mistakes here...

View attachment 633758

In the yoke thread, someone posted 2 part /option numbers for the steering wheel, one for the yoke and one for the regular wheel. They also said both items appeared for a day or so, but now the regular wheel has disappeared.

View attachment 633758 I posted this in the Yoke thread, but it is very curious to me that the Yoke is shown with the other “options” when you look at your build. See image. So it’s either optional or Tesla has a backup plan if it’s not approved (if it does need to be approved). Tesla is very deliberate and doesn’t typically make mistakes here...

View attachment 633758
Yes, I noticed the yoke wheel in my option list as well. My guess is they initially had it as an option and instead decided to make it standard. When you add on tax and license to the MX you are over 100K again for even the base model with no options. The MX had come down into a somewhat affordable range for an upper middle class family but this price increase will push a lot of people into a different vehicle. Very pricey now